F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower crank pulley VAP or EuroToys

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Installing the wrong pulley will cause the shredding. The lower pulleys for the early model F-Types have a slightly different offset than those for the later models (I don't know the cutoff date). The offset is the width of one belt rib and will cause the belt to jump the pulley by that one rib, eventually shredding that belt to a point of failure. VAP and Eurotoys are now familiar with the issue and will get you the right pulley if the wrong one was delivered to you.
This is exactly the case. I appears I have a Gen 1 pulley system, but the crank pulley I received from Eurotoys appears to be a Gen 2.

Current Pulley, out of align. About 3mm too far out from the engine.

Original Crank Pulley

Last edited by zmoothg; 10-24-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
This is exactly the case. I appears I have a Gen 1 pulley system, but the crank pulley I received from Eurotoys appears to be a Gen 2.

Current Pulley, out of align. About 3mm too far out from the engine.

Original Crank Pulley
Same thing here.
The mechanic who fitted the parts showed me that the pulley didn't fit right (it "sat out" too far which caused the belt to be out of alignment by one rib) and that the belt was a little too long (and hence a tiny bit loose with no leeway for adjustment as the belt aged) and recommended I get both the pulley and belt changed otherwise there was a big risk of the belt slipping off and causing all sorts of damage.
I had him put the OEM parts back on so all up it cost me an extra three hours labour and an extra three hour round trip, not fun.
But Eurotoys were very good about about it, as soon as I contacted them and explained the problem they agreed they had sent me the wrong pulley and belt (Gen 2 when it should have been Gen 1) and they sent me the correct pulley and belt free of charge and reimbursed me the shipping cost of returning the wrong ones to them.
Since the correct parts have been installed and the tune applied I have not had a single problem.

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-25-2018 at 12:33 AM.