Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Pulley Vs Upper Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Lower Pulley Vs Upper Pulley

It would be good to hear opinions from people who have upgraded either one of these parts for their tuned Jag. I am contemplating the lower pulley, but was recently told how difficult and problematic it can be. The upper pulley, from my understanding does not provide nearly the same gains as the lower pulley upgrade. It will be interesting to hear from both camps. Hell, I may just do both...lol

Old 01-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Relatively few people in the community have done either, but to my knowledge there have been no problems from anyone on this board so far.

The lower pulley is easier to install/uninstall and doesn't destroy the unit when you remove it like the upper pulley tends to. It also provides more boost and subsequently more power, but with greater risk if things go wrong. Since most kits maintain the factory harmonic balance, there isn't too much risk of balance issues to your expensive crankshaft.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Relatively few people in the community have done either, but to my knowledge there have been no problems from anyone on this board so far.

The lower pulley is easier to install/uninstall and doesn't destroy the unit when you remove it like the upper pulley tends to. It also provides more boost and subsequently more power, but with greater risk if things go wrong. Since most kits maintain the factory harmonic balance, there isn't too much risk of balance issues to your expensive crankshaft.
+1 from someone who has done both pulleys.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Unhingd --- I contacted VelocityAP and they refered me to you to get feedback. Apprantly, you have done ALOT of work though them...lol (can;t wait to hear how those headers work out !!)

I was ready to pull the trigger on the lower pulley, but in conversations with a tuning group here in Texas, they were cautioning against the lower pulley because of the potential damage to the shaft due to harmonic balance issues.

I am attracted to the lower pulley because it is an install that I conceivable could do at home, or from a cost perspective, take to a decent shop and have it done fairly inexpensively (as opposed to the tuning guys doing the install). I am looking at the EuroToys lower pulley and he has explained that it comes as a kit, which includes a new belt and belt tensioner. Other than that, what would I need? I would think the pulley would arrive balanced from EuroToys and it would be a direct R&R

Old 01-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
I was ready to pull the trigger on the lower pulley, but in conversations with a tuning group here in Texas, they were cautioning against the lower pulley because of the potential damage to the shaft due to harmonic balance issues.

I am attracted to the lower pulley because it is an install that I conceivable could do at home, or from a cost perspective, take to a decent shop and have it done fairly inexpensively (as opposed to the tuning guys doing the install). I am looking at the EuroToys lower pulley and he has explained that it comes as a kit, which includes a new belt and belt tensioner. Other than that, what would I need? I would think the pulley would arrive balanced from EuroToys and it would be a direct R&R
The lower pulley kit from EuroToys doesn't change the stock harmonic balancer. That's what the tuning group is concerned about; most overdrive pulley kits remove the harmonic balancer all together and that can cause issues.

Basically you just need a tune to go with the kit.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
The lower pulley kit from EuroToys doesn't change the stock harmonic balancer. That's what the tuning group is concerned about; most overdrive pulley kits remove the harmonic balancer all together and that can cause issues.

Basically you just need a tune to go with the kit.

Exactly and depending on year/model, we have everything in stock.

Mike

Old 01-22-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Eurotoys
Exactly and depending on year/model, we have everything in stock.

Mike

I guess I need to do more research. Mike do you have any photos of the kit that you can email me?

Old 01-22-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Cherry,
I will pm you. Stohlen and Mike (Eurotoys) are right on the mark.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
I guess I need to do more research. Mike do you have any photos of the kit that you can email me?

Here is a link to a installation I did here;

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ackage-169684/

The kit might change slightly depending on year/model of car. I have a new belt that needs to be tested.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

And if it's a question of which pot to put the money in first, tune or pulley, I think most agree the tune. It should take care of that pedal responsiveness....

Old 01-22-2017, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig
And if it's a question of which pot to put the money in first, tune or pulley, I think most agree the tune. It should take care of that pedal responsiveness....
And particularly the lower pulley needs to be accompanied by a corresponding tune.