F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower SC Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Now I will say this is typically how things work when modifying cars (specifically on the power front), but it isn't always the case. There is more that OEMs are concerned with than just performance vs. longevity. They also have to deal with emissions, fuel economy, cost, availability of materials, etc. and that all factors into the design of each individual part. Historically there are some engines out there that are so over built from the factory that you can easily double their horsepower output without opening the engine and it will still outlast the rest of the car. (i.e. 2JZ supra motor or N54 BMW twin turbo) These are also some of the most popular cars to modify for obvious reasons.
Yes, I agree, I had an N54 335i for 3 years and modified everything I could except for the stock internals. I ran more than than 500 WHP on that motor without problems except for snapping half-shafts and a slipping tranny, but the motor was well overbuilt for sure. That being said, I had the proper auxiliary sensors installed with data acquisition tied to tune fail-safes to help with safety.

It would be nice to know the level of overhead we are working with when tuning the AJ motors in the F-Type.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you, Eurotoys!

Now that I've surpassed the 400 mark for both power and torque, it is obvious that there is no purpose in adding more as the clutch problem has been exacerbated. The clutch will not fully engage between shifts during aggressive acceleration, an issue that has been present since day one (2 different clutches). Until the clutch issue is resolved, I have abandoned the idea of adding the over-sized lower pulley.

After investigating the lower pulley options, I ordered the most immediately available option in the desired size (and meeting appropriate design parameters) from Eurotoys. Even though the pulley had entered production, Mike cheerfully and fully refunded my payment today. Now...that's customer service. At the very least, I was expecting a "restocking fee" for a made-to-order item.

Mike, thank you also for providing guidance on how to approach the clutch issue. (That project will be documented on a separate thread).

The following users liked this post:
Eurotoys (01-12-2016)