F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 11:42 AM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Lowering and alignment

Recently installed VAP lowering springs and got an alignment done after spring settling. Everything checked out except rear right camber, it is 1.1° more than rear left.

Attached is the after spec. I asked to have the front camber adjusted to be the same °, leaning towards the more aggressive end, while maintaining toe and caster dead on center of the factory spec.

For the rear, camber could be altered ever so slightly by adjusting toe(+ - 0.1°), I decided the 0.1° wasn't worth it having the toe out of spec, so I left the toe at dead center factory spec and camber as is.

Now as you have probably guessed, my question is:
Is it normal or do I have something wrong?

=

=

Another question, is the VAP springs supposed to leave the car higher in the front than in the rear? The difference is very slight, but it can't be unseen once I notice it, you can somewhat see it in the photo.
the gap from tire to fender is 2 fingers flat on the rear, and 2 fingers pointed slightly(5°?) downward on the front. Plus I haven't even done messing with the hood, it is sagging slightly, so once I have it adjusted to the correct position, the front would look even higher!

I hope this is the springs still settling into place, rear has been on for 3 weeks with ~300 miles, front has been on 1 week with ~100 miles before I got the alignment.

original pic on the alignment machine

tweaked pic to make it flat

Edit: I know I'd forget something! How easy does your steering wheel naturally returns to center after cornering and letting go both of the steering wheel and gas? Mine have always felt a bit sluggish since day one!

My car and spec is in the sig, incase you can't see, 2015 F-Type R RWD, lowered on VAP springs.

Last edited by Ray Ray; 02-21-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
Recently installed VAP lowering springs and got an alignment done after spring settling. Everything checked out except rear right camber, it is 1.1° more than rear left.

Attached is the after spec. I asked to have the front camber adjusted to be the same °, leaning towards the more aggressive end, while maintaining toe and caster dead on center of the factory spec.

For the rear, camber could be altered ever so slightly by adjusting toe(+ - 0.1°), I decided the 0.1° wasn't worth it having the toe out of spec, so I left the toe at dead center factory spec and camber as is.

Now as you have probably guessed, my question is:
Is it normal or do I have something wrong?

=

=

Another question, is the VAP springs supposed to leave the car higher in the front than in the rear? The difference is very slight, but it can't be unseen once I notice it, you can somewhat see it in the photo.
the gap from tire to fender is 2 fingers flat on the rear, and 2 fingers pointed slightly(5°?) downward on the front. Plus I haven't even done messing with the hood, it is sagging slightly, so once I have it adjusted to the correct position, the front would look even higher!

I hope this is the springs still settling into place, rear has been on for 3 weeks with ~300 miles, front has been on 1 week with ~100 miles before I got the alignment.

original pic on the alignment machine

tweaked pic to make it flat

Edit: I know I'd forget something! How easy does your steering wheel naturally returns to center after cornering and letting go both of the steering wheel and gas? Mine have always felt a bit sluggish since day one!

My car and spec is in the sig, incase you can't see, 2015 F-Type R RWD, lowered on VAP springs.
As far as ride height, drive the car for a while to allow the suspension to settle in. Being able to easily fit two fingers indicates that the suspension is still riding an inch too high. With the H&R suspension I can only get one finger in the gap pointing up at a 45° angle in front and a 30° angle and back. With the VAP suspension I would think that you should only be able to get one finger inserted in the gap straight and level.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:16 PM
Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Which VAP springs did you go with? From my research and memory, the RWD springs sit slightly higher than the AWD springs...meaning some people with RWD choose the AWD springs for a bit lower stance.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:03 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

VAP part number

Front: VEL-003 Rear: VEL-004

I read on the forum they had rwd specific front, discontinued them after a short while and used awd front for rwd too. I ordered on oct 2020 so I'm pretty sure I got the right(awd) one.

I have allowed them to settle for 300 miles(rear) and 100 miles(front), it went from as high as stock (3 fingers flat) to where it is now. I certainly hope it'd settle more, even if it means another visit to the alignment shop.