Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering springs, handling, larger front tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020 | 11:15 AM
|
Default lowering springs, handling, larger front tires

Hey,

I've been trying to find this but having a little trouble.
1. Do these lowering springs help the handling of the F type. I plan to take mine to the track this spring and am curious if I'm working backwards by lowering it.
2. I bought the 265 35 r20 Dunlop Sport Maxx a while back when they had that big sale someone posted on here. Does this bigger size work with the VAP lowering springs? Or would i be rubbing bad.

Thanks for the help

Old 01-09-2020 | 12:29 PM

Which springs...VAP? H&R? How much drop...7/8" 1.2"? Fronts and rears? I think the answer depends largely on exactly what (brand and drop) you're thinking of installing.

Old 01-09-2020 | 12:31 PM
|

Originally Posted by STMPY
Which springs...VAP? H&R? How much drop...7/8" 1.2"? Fronts and rears? I think the answer depends largely on exactly what (brand and drop) you're thinking of installing.
I was going to go with VAP. But I guess I’m open to whatever helps it handle better

Old 01-09-2020 | 12:49 PM

The progressive rate lowering springs VAP offers are what I'm considering. After reading through this forum, it seems appearant that the 7/8" drop from the VAP springs offer a stiffer attack around corners, but soften up as they get lower in the range of travel which prevents a degradation in street comfort. You'll need to be aware of tire size and spacers so there's no rub. Forum members have indicated that a max 15mm spacer (rear) will work with a 295 tire.

anyway - I think we've now set the stage for those who have installed to weigh in.

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
scm (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020 | 04:50 PM

I love the look and the ride overall from my VAP progressive springs. Perfect stance for me, and not so low that I scrape everywhere.

However... I do notice the car will now pogo a bit over certain sections of freeway, where there are undulations in the pavement. This is more noticeable with the softer suspension setting. I assume this is due to the reduced wheel travel and the softer setting allowing the bump-stops to connect. Not a huge deal, but not optimal.
If I were tracking the car this would be less an issue, as I have never experienced undulation on a racetrack, and I would always be running in dynamic mode anyway

Old 01-09-2020 | 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tork Monster
I love the look and the ride overall from my VAP progressive springs. Perfect stance for me, and not so low that I scrape everywhere.

However... I do notice the car will now pogo a bit over certain sections of freeway, where there are undulations in the pavement. This is more noticeable with the softer suspension setting. I assume this is due to the reduced wheel travel and the softer setting allowing the bump-stops to connect. Not a huge deal, but not optimal.
If I were tracking the car this would be less an issue, as I have never experienced undulation on a racetrack, and I would always be running in dynamic mode anyway
Same here.

Old 01-09-2020 | 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

However... I do notice the car will now pogo a bit over certain sections of freeway, where there are undulations in the pavement. This is more noticeable with the softer suspension setting. I assume this is due to the reduced wheel travel and the softer setting allowing the bump-stops to connect.
The stiffer spring rate needs more rebound damping. That's likely what you're feeling. When the suspension compresses, it extends too quickly because of the extra spring force. You may need to run in the stiffer (dynamic) mode all the time to get optimal results.

I haven't installed the VAP springs, but do have some sitting in the garage from the Black Friday sale. I just need to make some careful measurements of things before I install, like the speed bumps between home and the rest of the world :/

Old 01-09-2020 | 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ntbrinkl
Hey,

I've been trying to find this but having a little trouble.
1. Do these lowering springs help the handling of the F type. I plan to take mine to the track this spring and am curious if I'm working backwards by lowering it.
2. I bought the 265 35 r20 Dunlop Sport Maxx a while back when they had that big sale someone posted on here. Does this bigger size work with the VAP lowering springs? Or would i be rubbing bad.

Thanks for the help
Lowering the center of gravity perceptively reduces the body roll and will result in slightly enhanced cornering.
As long as you don’t use spacers larger than 15 mm, the 265s will not rub regardless of how much you lower the car.

However... I do notice the car will now pogo a bit over certain sections of freeway, where there are undulations in the pavement. This is more noticeable with the softer suspension setting.
+1 with the H&Rs. The pogoing, however, can be eliminated entirely (either setting) by reducing the unsprung weight (forged wheels and/or 2 piece rotors).

Old 01-10-2020 | 08:06 AM

I may be on a different track with this, but have you really learned the car without modifying it? Based on how you are approaching the concern, it would seem like you don't have a good idea what you want to change based on the experience of driving it at the track. I would do absolutely nothing to the car, see how it drives after 20 - 30 laps, think about what would make it drive better "for you" and then research what options there are to make said changes. The approach of blindly modifying a car to make it handle "better" is not the best way forward.

From experience at the track, these are a lot of car to manage, and have a somewhat unique style to how they perform at high speed. Still very balanced, but heavy. I would suggest learning how to slow down for the weight to be on the safe side first, then improve the handling once you have a strategy to manage the weight around the turns (and breaking zones).

Just my .02, and you probably don't want to hear that (I usually didn't back in the day), but it will help you get more out of yourself and the car!

Good luck and have fun!

The following 5 users liked this post by Breaker841:
Arne (01-10-2020), Carbuff2 (01-10-2020), Chawumba (01-10-2020), Kjamo (01-10-2020), Lani Kai (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020 | 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Sound advice.

Old 01-10-2020 | 10:05 PM

I apologize if this has been answered already but on a base v6 (no dynamic suspension or awd) with the 19in wheels, what would the maximum size tires all around be that I could run all around with 15 mm spacers, and vap springs

Old 01-11-2020 | 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by justanurse
I apologize if this has been answered already but on a base v6 (no dynamic suspension or awd) with the 19in wheels, what would the maximum size tires all around be that I could run all around with 15 mm spacers, and vap springs
275mm in back (OEM size). Don’t know in front for certain, but you should be able to go up 1 size.

The following users liked this post:
justanurse (01-11-2020)