F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR Retrofit vs. UAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 10:05 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default LR Retrofit vs. UAD

I recently purchased and installed the UAD apple CarPlay device for my 2018 convertible R. I didn’t really like it. I had to find a place for the external microphone if I wanted to use all of the features and it seemed to slow everything down a bit. I decided to sell the device and live with the system as is until I ran across someone somewhere who upgraded the standard screen to the 10.4” screen from the 2019 and on models. It seems as if it is the best option available, maintaining all the stock appearance and features, but upgrading to android/Apple CarPlay.

Has anyone on here upgraded to the 10.4” screen from LR Retrofit? If so, how did you like it and how did the installation go?

Old 03-28-2023, 07:03 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rrstl3
I recently purchased and installed the UAD apple CarPlay device for my 2018 convertible R. I didn’t really like it. I had to find a place for the external microphone if I wanted to use all of the features and it seemed to slow everything down a bit. I decided to sell the device and live with the system as is until I ran across someone somewhere who upgraded the standard screen to the 10.4” screen from the 2019 and on models. It seems as if it is the best option available, maintaining all the stock appearance and features, but upgrading to android/Apple CarPlay.

Has anyone on here upgraded to the 10.4” screen from LR Retrofit? If so, how did you like it and how did the installation go?
I was considering the UAD Apply Play route as well but also didn't like the fact of the external microphone and just altering the ability of the OEM navi even though it is subpar. I did watch a YouTube video where someone bought an F Type and updated to the newer screen. They didn't say what it entailed or anything regarding the process other than they just couldn't live with the older system. So, I believe it is possible and would love to know more about it myself.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-28-2023, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I was considering the UAD Apply Play route as well but also didn't like the fact of the external microphone and just altering the ability of the OEM navi even though it is subpar. I did watch a YouTube video where someone bought an F Type and updated to the newer screen. They didn't say what it entailed or anything regarding the process other than they just couldn't live with the older system. So, I believe it is possible and would love to know more about it myself.
I may have seen the same YouTube guy. I looked at LR Retrofit’s website and they say they use all JLR equipment and the price isn’t really much more expensive than the UAD unit. This really seems like the best option available if it actually works. I sent the company and email this morning to see if it’s a DIY device or if they only perform the service in house.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a couple other threads with a bit of info - I believe the main update that needs to happen is there is a setting in the CCF that needs to be toggled. Not sure exactly what the setting is, but I think a few other members here have done it before?

Old 03-28-2023, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

There is a shop in England that specializes in this. I didn't note their name because I'm not in England and I have a Bosch unit. Their update only works on cars with the Harmon units, so it is possible for rrstl3's 2018, but not for Whatsnext's 2016.

You'll notice that after 2017, a few things changed in the F-Type. When they switched from Bosch to Harmon, the 'brains' of the unit was moved from behind the screen to in between the seat backs. You'll note that on 2018 convertibles, the handy little hatch on the back wall disappeared and was replaced with a less handy bungie net. This is because that formerly empty spot is no longer empty. The short version of this is a 2018 is compatible to plug in the larger screen, where the 2016 is not.Could you change everything out? Probably, but that stepped beyond what I'm willing to do with my car.

My wife has the newer unit in her car and I now have the UAD unit. Each does some things better than the other. I have found that her stock unit (2021 Range Rover) is more likely to no want to run Android auto than my UAD unit. She has had problems with the unit dropping her android auto connection in her 2021 and 2018 Range Rovers. My UAD has not been flaw free, but definitely better than her stock unit. I also like physical buttons, so it was an easy win for me.

As for the placement of the microphone, I tucked it into a spot right by where the grab handle, the shifter trim and the switches meet and it blends in pretty well. I've debated ditching the microphone altogether and may still. I also have some crazy ideas about integrating it into the dash which would require me getting a sacrificial piece of tri to try it out.

In the end, I'm 90% happy with the UAD. It made a one day, 914 mile drive much nicer and solved the whole phone mount problem. The only issue I really have is I have to click the Nav button each time I start the car to engage it.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:02 PM

So LR Retrofits responded. They only offer services in the London/Essex area and will not ship the parts. They said even if they have the shipped the parts it wouldn’t work until programmed, probably toggling the CCF as mentioned above. They will ship it to a shop who has the proper computer. I know of non in the Reno, Nevada area.

Bummer, as I was really hoping this would be a great solution.

No grab handle under which to hide the microphone in my convertible.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

No grab handle under which to hide the microphone in my convertible.
The grab handle in between the seats. All years of F-Type, coupes and convertibles, have it.

Old 03-28-2023, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
The grab handle in between the seats. All years of F-Type, coupes and convertibles, have it.
Ahhh, that one. I thought perhaps there was a grab handle above the door in coupes. My mistake.

I'm still just not a fan of the UAD unit. In fact, I removed my unit and sold it on ebay. I would love to have the factory unit but I suppose it's not an option.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-28-2023, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Ahhh, that one. I thought perhaps there was a grab handle above the door in coupes. My mistake.

I'm still just not a fan of the UAD unit. In fact, I removed my unit and sold it on ebay. I would love to have the factory unit but I suppose it's not an option.
I get it. I wonder if an independent shop might have the ability?

Old 03-28-2023, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I get it. I wonder if an independent shop might have the ability?
I will check. Automotion is the only indie shop in Reno claiming to work on Jags that I am aware of. I see you’re in Sac. Any good shops over there?