F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 10:45 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Lug nuts

Ok MY 16S is home (after differential replacement) and technician recommended new lug nuts and my independent mechanic also said should be changed as the OEM have a tendency to be problematic. Question to the forum: I'm impressed with the gorilla one piece lug nut # 73138J as a replacement. What is the consensus of members regards replacement lug nuts. Thanks in advance for your comments. I'm preemptively changing OEM lugs so I don't have a nightmare later.
Frank

Old 08-03-2021, 11:04 AM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

Jaguar took a page out of Ford's book and cursed their entire JLR line up with lugnuts with the stupid alumimum caps which are prone to deforming. Gorilla lug nuts are totally fine.

The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (03-28-2024)
Old 08-03-2021, 02:53 PM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

I replaced my "locker" lug nuts with standard ones, so I didn't have to worry about loosing the one security socket.
I went to O'reilly's auto parts and ordered replacements. They were of equal or better quality with a durable chrome finish.
I have about 10 left over if you are interested.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

One of the first mods I made on the F-Type was to fit those Gorilla lug nuts, the black versions - 731381JBC - over four years ago now.
They have since been removed and refitted dozens of times and not a single problem, highly recommended, but they are not cheap!

Old 08-03-2021, 09:53 PM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by HermanWiegman
I replaced my "locker" lug nuts with standard ones, so I didn't have to worry about loosing the one security socket.
I went to O'reilly's auto parts and ordered replacements. They were of equal or better quality with a durable chrome finish.
I have about 10 left over if you are interested.
Good move Herman, locker lug nuts are a waste of money, bash a 6 point on one and let the impact rip

Old 08-04-2021, 09:18 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

I want to thank everyone for your comments and experiences. Very informative and I’ve decided to purchase the gorilla lug nuts for my jag. Preemptive maintenance for suspected OEM lug nuts. Thanks again.
Frank

Old 03-19-2024, 07:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Necro'ing this thread to verify if Gorilla 731381JBC lug nuts will fit a 2024 F-Type wheels?

Old 03-19-2024, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TangledThorns
Necro'ing this thread to verify if Gorilla 731381JBC lug nuts will fit a 2024 F-Type wheels?
Yep, they will fit for sure, the F-Type lug nut type, size and shape have never changed.

TangledThorns (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 12:49 AM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

As a side note, do not buy the eBay 21mm black lug nuts advertised for Jaguar.

They are a lot cheaper, fit and work, but the finish rusted in less than 6 months.

Just bought the gorilla instead and ironically, from eBay, doesn’t seem to be on Amazon anymore.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:39 AM

Thank you for the replies. In case anybody is curious the Gorilla 731381JBC lug nuts don't seem to be in large supply online but found the best price here and just ordered a set of 20.

https://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/GOR73138JBC.htm

Last edited by TangledThorns; 03-20-2024 at 06:53 AM.
OzXFR (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 09:22 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

You guys have convinced me that I need a set of the Gorilla lug nuts for my 2021 F Type R. Although I need the chrome versions which are part # GOR73138J.
Question: Do they also need a 19mm deep socket to install/remove them ? I bought one of those with the nylon sleeve to protect the wheel finish a couple of years ago and if I need a different size I'll order another.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:25 AM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Harbor Freight makes an impact socket set with sleeves to protect wheels. I have had one for years.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...ece-69781.html

Carbuff2 (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
You guys have convinced me that I need a set of the Gorilla lug nuts for my 2021 F Type R. Although I need the chrome versions which are part # GOR73138J.
Question: Do they also need a 19mm deep socket to install/remove them ? I bought one of those with the nylon sleeve to protect the wheel finish a couple of years ago and if I need a different size I'll order another.
The one you already have should be perfectly OK.

Dwight Frye (03-20-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 10:35 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ordered the black gorilla lug nuts. They are good quality but unfortunately they have stopped wrapping or bagging each individual nut. They just pour them into a box so they rub against each other. They said this is to be more "environmental" lol. Funny how these environmentalists always save themselves money.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian McCann
I just ordered the black gorilla lug nuts. They are good quality but unfortunately they have stopped wrapping or bagging each individual nut. They just pour them into a box so they rub against each other. They said this is to be more "environmental" lol. Funny how these environmentalists always save themselves money.
Did you tell them you want any that the 'environment' scratched to be replaced, at no charge?

Old 03-21-2024, 02:26 PM

So funny story on why I asked about the Gorilla lug nuts is because my out of state Jaguar - AutoNation dealership that shipped to me my new 2024 F-Type somehow forgot to include the wheel lock key. Found the wheel lock bag with the 4 spare lug nuts but no wheel lock, checked allover the F-Type including the cabin space to no avail. Total derp on their mechanic.

Moving forward I told the dealership and they apologized and said they would send me new wheel locks that can be installed at a local Jaguar - AutoNation dealership free of charge. I asked if they can send me the black wheel locks to replace the chrome wheel locks and they did however I didn't think I needed to order new black wheel nuts as well, lol.

I'm hoping the Gorilla black lug nuts that I ordered matches the Jaguar black wheel locks. If they don't I may just forgo the wheel locks and should be OK with that as my F-Type is stored in my garage.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:35 PM

So funny story on why I asked about the Gorilla lug nuts is because my out of state Jaguar - AutoNation dealership that shipped to me my new 2024 F-Type somehow forgot to include the wheel lock key. Found the wheel lock bag with the 4 spare lug nuts but no wheel lock, checked allover the F-Type including the cabin space to no avail. Total derp on their mechanic.

Moving forward I told the dealership and they apologized and said they would send me new wheel locks that can be installed at a local Jaguar - AutoNation dealership free of charge. I asked if they can send me the black wheel locks to replace the chrome wheel locks and they did however I didn't think I needed to order new black wheel nuts as well, lol.

I'm hoping the Gorilla black lug nuts that I ordered matches the Jaguar black wheel locks. If they don't I may just forgo the wheel locks and should be OK with that as my F-Type is stored in my garage.
Can you let me know if they match? I'm considering getting the black wheel locks to add to my Gorilla lug nuts. Also I'm curious if your gorilla lug nuts arrive wrapped or if they are just thrown in a box like mine were.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:44 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Do you know about the storage location in the trunk for the wheel lock key? It is located near the battery right next to where the tire sealant is.

TangledThorns (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by cpq100
Do you know about the storage location in the trunk for the wheel lock key? It is located near the battery right next to where the tire sealant is.
OMFG... welp, I know now!!

I thought the wheel lock should be in the bag I found in the cargo area with no idea that there would be a special place for it, lol. Below is photos for those that are curious. I'm shocked that the dealership, as nice as they are, didn't mention this to me by checking with their mechanics.

Anyways, I still have the black wheel locks and the Gorilla black lug nuts will be delivered to me this weekend. I'll still post photos comparing the black color of the wheel locks and lug nuts. I'll also have them installed when I replace the factory Summer tires with all seasons probably by this Fall.

Wheel lock key location

cpq100 (03-21-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Did you tell them you want any that the 'environment' scratched to be replaced, at no charge?
They are pretty negligible nicks. It's more just disrespectful to their customers. I contacted gorilla and they said they're "working on a solution". It's not exactly rocket science to wrap them in brown paper.

Quick Reply: Lug nuts