F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 09:29 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I ordered a set of the chrome Gorilla nuts I mean lug nuts and they are on the way now. I suppose that finish would be less prone to showing wear than the black ones but we'll see how they are packaged when they arrive next week. They do sell the lug nuts individually or also in sets of five, so I don't see why they couldn't order a bunch of appropriately sized poly zip lock bags from a place like Uline. They can get 2 mil thick 2"x2" bags for $19/1000 so it's not a big expense for their shipping department.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:34 AM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

You could always order each lug nut as a separate shipment. That would eliminate any chance of the nuts banging together during shipment. Shipping charges might get out of hand though!

Old 03-22-2024, 09:38 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I ordered a set of the chrome Gorilla nuts I mean lug nuts and they are on the way now. I suppose that finish would be less prone to showing wear than the black ones but we'll see how they are packaged when they arrive next week. They do sell the lug nuts individually or also in sets of five, so I don't see why they couldn't order a bunch of appropriately sized poly zip lock bags from a place like Uline. They can get 2 mil thick 2"x2" bags for $19/1000 so it's not a big expense for their shipping department.
They can and they did. They stopped doing this because of new "environmental regulations". If yours are packaged correctly then they sent you older stock according to Ricardo at Gorilla.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:43 PM
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I just received the Gorilla black lug nuts from SFX Performance unsorted in a single bag but don't see any nicks or damage and they feel and look incredibly solid. Next to the JLR/McGard black wheel locks there is a difference in color. The Gorilla lug nuts are a solid black matte finish while the wheel locks have a glossy black sheen. See below photos.

So I'm going to look into buying a set of Gorilla black wheel locks that will match their GOR73138JBC color. I just emailed Gorilla to confirm their part number for the locking set and will keep this thread posted.

JLR/Mcgard wheel lock on left. Gorilla lug nut on right.

JLR/Mcgard wheel lock on left. Gorilla lug nut on right.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:42 AM
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Gorilla responded that they don't have wheel locks for the F-Type

Old 03-25-2024, 10:48 AM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Honestly, I don't think the difference in the color matters...these are lug nuts...

Old 03-25-2024, 10:57 AM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

What???? Wheel Locks?????
I don't know in other countries, but from where I am from (Texas, USA) thieves no longer steal alloy wheels, it is too time consuming for them. If they want to steal your alloy wheels..they'll steal your car, instead

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 03-25-2024 at 11:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ichi Ban (04-03-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:59 AM

I wanted Ti nuts....

1. Cannot find them
2. Even if I could, there seems to be a host of concerns related to them (dislike metals...galvonic corrosion, etc.), use of anti seize and then loss of torque spec ....etc. etc.

Old 03-25-2024, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Honestly, I don't think the difference in the color matters...these are lug nuts...
I don't think the color matters but the price difference does. I wish I could buy an aftermarket lock set.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I wanted Ti nuts....

1. Cannot find them
2. Even if I could, there seems to be a host of concerns related to them (dislike metals...galvonic corrosion, etc.), use of anti seize and then loss of torque spec ....etc. etc.
I actually just picked up a set for my aftermarket wheels. They were the same cost as quality steel nuts and should look better long term. From the reading I have done the corrosion issue shouldn't be an issue I am going to run a thread chaser over the studs, and then torque to spec in two different rounds - halfway and then then the full torque.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:11 AM

My lug nuts should be arriving today. I have a question regarding the proper installation procedure.

My floor jack won't fit under my F Type. But I'm thinking there should be no problem changing the lug nuts one at a time while the car sits on the garage floor. Should I remove one factory nut, install the new Gorilla nut, torque it halfway to spec and then replace another nut and do them all in a star pattern, and then go back around and torque all of them to full spec in a star pattern ?

Or just replace them one at a time on each wheel in a star pattern and torque each one to full spec as I go ? I'll check them all again after I go for a short drive.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:49 AM

My lug nuts should be arriving today. I have a question regarding the proper installation procedure.

My floor jack won't fit under my F Type. But I'm thinking there should be no problem changing the lug nuts one at a time while the car sits on the garage floor. Should I remove one factory nut, install the new Gorilla nut, torque it halfway to spec and then replace another nut and do them all in a star pattern, and then go back around and torque all of them to full spec in a star pattern ?

Or just replace them one at a time on each wheel in a star pattern and torque each one to full spec as I go ? I'll check them all again after I go for a short drive.
You should be just fine with replacing one at a time - I would snug them to about 50-60 ft lbs and then once all 5 are in place tighten them down in a star pattern to 92ft lbs.

Dwight Frye (03-27-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Just get a pair of "low entry" trolley jacks, they fit under my lowered F-Type no worries, plenty available on Fleabay etc and I guess from your large chain auto parts stores. And yes your first method is better than the second method.
I have lost count of the number of times I have removed and refitted wheels and wheel nuts, must be well into the hundreds if not thousands, and I have used the same method every single time with zero problems.
To remove wheel/tyre:
1. Car on ground, in P if auto in 2nd gear if manual.
2. Apply handbrake/EPB.
3. Crack all nuts loose.
4. Raise wheel with trolley jack.
5. Remove nuts, order does not matter.
If EPB is on rear wheel nuts can be cracked after wheel has been raised on trolley jack but fronts can be a PITA, fronts are much easier to crack with car on ground.
I NEVER crack the nuts with a rattle gun, always by hand with a 1/2" breaker and a sleeved hex socket.
To refit wheel/tyre (corner is already in the air on trolley jack):
1. Fit wheel in place.
2. Fit nuts and hand tighten (with socket if Jag/F-Type nuts).
3. Lower corner to ground (remove trolley jack).
4. Torque to "tight" in whatever order you like.
5. Torque to spec in star pattern.

Dwight Frye (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 08:49 AM

I received the lug nuts yesterday. They are the chrome finish. No issues with the packaging, each nut was individually sealed in a little cellophane bag and then the set of 20 was in a large zip lock bag and shipped in a cardboard box.

I'll follow the recommendations above regarding installing and torqueing them to spec. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:03 AM

I wanted to add that the Gorilla lug nuts are about 1/4" taller than the OEM nuts. Therefore they will stick out a bit farther. My wheels are the 20" Style 1066 10 spoke models. It's not that noticeable unless pointed out so I'm not going to worry about it. I have attached a quick & dirty photo.

After looking at the OEM lug nuts I removed, it is obvious what the problem is with them. I can see some deformation to the caps from when I had the new Michelin PS4's installed.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:31 AM

I received the lug nuts yesterday. They are the chrome finish. No issues with the packaging, each nut was individually sealed in a little cellophane bag and then the set of 20 was in a large zip lock bag and shipped in a cardboard box.

I'll follow the recommendations above regarding installing and torqueing them to spec. Thanks for the advice.
According to Gorilla you received an older lot as they don't package them well anymore

Old 03-28-2024, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sovande
I actually just picked up a set for my aftermarket wheels. They were the same cost as quality steel nuts and should look better long term. From the reading I have done the corrosion issue shouldn't be an issue I am going to run a thread chaser over the studs, and then torque to spec in two different rounds - halfway and then then the full torque.
Can you post a link to the source? Will they fit OEM?

Old 03-28-2024, 01:51 PM

Can you post a link to the source? Will they fit OEM?
I do not know if they will fit OEM wheels as they are standard 60 degree cone seats. M12x1.5 x 40mm deep.

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-28-2024, 06:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian McCann
According to Gorilla you received an older lot as they don't package them well anymore
All this talk reminded me to order some new lugs for my Volvo. (Volvo uses the same horrible chrome covers that Jaguar does.) Received my Gorilla lugs this week from an online retailer. They are now individually packed in a plastic bag. Like a candy bar. So no issues.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Sovande
I do not know if they will fit OEM wheels as they are standard 60 degree cone seats. M12x1.5 x 40mm deep.

https://www.amazon.com/Accessories-T...15&sr=8-2&th=1
Those nuts are no good for OEM Jag wheels as they are acorn/bulge/cone type while Jag wheels need mag seat/flat washer type nuts.
They will "fit" but not clamp properly and you risk them wallering out the wheel holes.

Sovande (03-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Lug nuts