Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lumpy seat seam

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts
Default Lumpy seat seam

I have had a couple passengers remark on the uncomfortable seat seams that run up the center of the performance seats and dig into their backs. For some reason, I don't notice it. Anyone else have this issue, and how have you resolved it for the comfort of you passenger(s)?

Old 07-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I have had a couple passengers remark on the uncomfortable seat seams that run up the center of the performance seats and dig into their backs. For some reason, I don't notice it. Anyone else have this issue, and how have you resolved it for the comfort of you passenger(s)?
Noticed it, but no complaints from passengers. I thought "it is what it is" and moved on.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

That problem was noted by several reviewers of the car. So on my first visit to the dealer I sat in a showroom R to see what they were talking about. Yup, sure enough. Uncomfortable, and right away — not to mention the seats themselves, considerably harder than the regular sport seats. Too bad. I would have liked to have the extended leather, only available w/performance seats. I chose comfort (regular sport seats in cirrus).

Old 07-26-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I did notice that on my test drive of an R, as well as the fact that the shoulder area of those seats didn't work for me and my broad shoulders. I found the seamless sport seats more comfortable, with the suede insert.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Any one heard the story of the Princess and the pea?

Not that I am referring to anyone as a Princess of course!!

Old 07-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Any one heard the story of the Princess and the pea?

Not that I am referring to anyone as a Princess of course!!
Yes, 40 years dealing with a delicate fleur. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

LOL . . . you started the thread asking the question.

It certainly isn't a big deal, as Slojotaa said, but it was a matter of slight preference to some including myself. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it and ultimately been happy with the performance seats. I certainly wouldn't have passed on a car that was otherwise what I wanted because of them.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Can't remember if the seats have airbags in them, but you could probably get some custom sheepskin covers made for your princess's derrière.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Can't remember if the seats have airbags in them, but you could probably get some custom sheepskin covers made for your princess's derrière.
Good thought. (not a butt, but a spine issue) I was also pondering having a thin (1" or so) custom back pad made with a Temperpedic cushion and soft leather cover (camel color, of course).
I was also thinking of having an upholsterer replace the center section of the seat back sans seam.

Other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Good thought. (not a butt, but a spine issue) I was also pondering having a thin (1" or so) custom back pad made with a Temperpedic cushion and soft leather cover (camel color, of course).
I was also thinking of having an upholsterer replace the center section of the seat back sans seam.

Other suggestions gratefully accepted.
Yikes! It's a brand new car, and now this...

Your 1st idea ("custom" pad): Tacky. It's what you do when the seats wear out in an old beater. You'd have to get some foam rubber dice to hang from your rear-view mirror.

Your 2nd idea (replacing the center section): Big bucks, hard if not impossible to find someone who could do it well, and it wouldn't be a perfect color match. Bad.

You've said that you don't notice it, so why go to such extremities just to mollify the occasional passenger who whines about it?

Old 07-26-2015, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Yikes! It's a brand new car, and now this...

Your 1st idea ("custom" pad): Tacky. It's what you do when the seats wear out in an old beater. You'd have to get some foam rubber dice to hang from your rear-view mirror.

Your 2nd idea (replacing the center section): Big bucks, hard if not impossible to find someone who could do it well, and it wouldn't be a perfect color match. Bad.

You've said that you don't notice it, so why go to such extremities just to mollify the occasional passenger who whines about it?
Hopefully, not so occasionally.And, in short, because I love my wife of 40+ years.
BTW: requesting helpful suggestions, not gratuitous animadversions.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-26-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:50 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

How about working a healthy amount of leather conditioner into that seam area, and really trying to soften it, as well as the entire seat? Might just make a difference.

My test drive was about an hour long, in an F-Type V6S with performance seats with my wife as co-pilot. I didn't notice any issue during my drive, nor did my wife complain about the seats. Maybe I was just too distracted in driving and enjoying the experience. Guess we'll find out when mine arrives.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mjm3457
How about working a healthy amount of leather conditioner into that seam area, and really trying to soften it, as well as the entire seat? Might just make a difference.
Certainly worth a try.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by mjm3457

My test drive was about an hour long, in an F-Type V6S with performance seats with my wife as co-pilot. I didn't notice any issue during my drive, nor did my wife complain about the seats. Maybe I was just too distracted in driving and enjoying the experience. Guess we'll find out when mine arrives.
Same with us.. we both love the performance seats. Most seats give me back trouble, but these are some of the best we have had. Never noticed the seam and would not have thought of it until I read the post here.

I have also used leather conditioner on mine, but not due to any discomfort.
Lawrence.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Never noticed it. Seem perfectly comfortable to me. I like the look of that seam.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:05 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,405 Posts

With the 8000-way adjustable seats, the lumbar support goes up and down in addition to in and out, which might help.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I first felt it in the XKR-S, very uncomfortable on top of the spine between the two shoulder blades. I adjusted the seat and the way I sit. I was arched forward and that created the contact point. I adjusted the so that while driving I am completely flat against the seat and my head against the headrest. The pressure is gone. Now it is the most comfortable seat I ever had in a "sporty" car. The XKR-S more so than the F-Type, that also comes from the harsher suspension in the F-Type.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Certainly worth a try.
Does leather 'conditioner' even penetrate modern leather seats?

I was under the impression that most/all leather seats these days were essentially plastic sealed and mostly impervious.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Is it the seam or the position of the start of the "headrest area" I mentioned this months ago as it seems too low for my torso and sticks me right in the upper back.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Now, if they could just offer the Sabelt seats from the Project 7 as an option...

Quick Reply: Lumpy seat seam