Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MacGyver Moment

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts
Default MacGyver Moment

A while back I removed all four wheels, wet sanded the barrels and applied three coats of clear gloss in hopes that it would help with the brake dust--which it did.
However, in the process and primarily due to laziness I did not mask off the wheel faces and as a result got some overspray on them. I removed most overspray easily after the wheels were remounted, but I missed some spots which began to show up as slightly discolored areas. Of course most areas I missed were in the nooks and crannies and I dreaded torturing my old, arthritic fingers polishing the stuff off. Thought about the dremel, but it didn't have an attachment that I thought would work without damaging the finish, and then...MacGyver moment: What about a worn out brush head from my electric toothbrush? Soft flexible bristles, high speed oscillation, a little swirl remover and problem solved and in short order.
I'm so giddy. And my hands are so thankful.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

I find it disheartening that Jaguar uses least amount of paint then can to paint the wheels which causes the barrels to discolor, fade, and stain so quickly. But from spending time at the dealer service center with the XKR and now F, Most of the cars coming in are filthy and I assume the owners just don’t care. When I show up the service writers and mechanics admire how clean my car is. And now that it’s ceramic coated it’s so easy to keep spotless.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I have had incredible success with using clay bar to get iron contaminants out and ten applying ceramic coating- (same as clearcoat)
Its been a breeze to keep the barrels clean and they look new- 3+ years since doing it. I never use anything more than car wash soap to clean them, and dont need to, the slightest touch of the rag and all the brake dust is off.
I am also using high carbon Jag rotor and pads notorious for dust.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:12 PM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Which ceramic did you use? I used Feynlab Wheel and Caliper which I can't say I've been completely bowled over by. I'd had the wheels freshly refurbed so they were essentially brand new (blades in case anyone cares) and the claims I was reading were along the lines of the wheels more or less needing just a jetwash from that point on to get clean. The reality is that I still need a dedicated wheel wash bucket and mitt. They do clean reasonably easily after the coating but equally due to the ridiculous amount of brake dust generated they do also look like cr*p most of the time unless I've just cleaned them. Shame really as they are nice looking wheels when they are actually clean,

I guess a new choice of friction material when I wear this first set out might be my best option.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I used Cquartz UK edition, because I was going to throw it out. It has some downsides on black paint, namely water-spotting.
Keep in mind, this is about 4 years ago, Cquartz was about the only thing on the market.

Its worked amazingly. You can go heavy and apply like you were applying paint.

What wheels do you have? it might be a case of just coming up with a system of easily and quickly cleaning them.
I could clean mine with a fine painters brush, its literally 20seconds per wheel.