Sponsored by:

Mad or Glad? New spark plugs @ 18,900 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 11:37 AM
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Mad or Glad? New spark plugs @ 18,900 miles

Hi All –

Here is my tale, and looking for opinions -

Last time my MY18 (build date 3/2017) had been serviced – 498 days and 4908 miles ago. (I know - did not drive it as much as I wanted this year!) At that time, had oil and filter change, engine and cabin air filters, and rear differential service.

This week it was time for Virginia safety and emissions inspections. Dealer said it was also time for 5 year warranty service too. Current total mileage: 18,924.

I asked what was scheduled and he said oil, oil and air filters, that’s all. I added that I did not want any software updates unless we discussed first. I think he was very new, and definitely MY BAD, I didn’t check the factory warranty maintenance schedule before I dropped it off. That said, I was astonished that they replaced the plugs at a grand total of 18,924 miles – and without calling me first.

The service guy was surprised that I was bit annoyed – he said, “It’s free, you should take what they give you”. I said well you didn’t call me, and that’s way early for plugs, which are more of a mileage item, not really an age item. I also don’t like unnecessary service when the car is running perfectly. I don’t need techs under the hood doing that service, moving wires and hoses, leaning on the fenders, etc., when it certainly doesn’t seem necessary. Just adds risk.

And and he didn’t save the plugs so I could inspect them – even though I always reflexively check the box that says to save any parts replaced.

So my question – would you be mad or glad at new plugs at less than 19K miles?

Old 04-23-2022, 12:30 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

It's like they gave you large fries instead of small. It's fine, what's done is done, let it go.

Next time, hand them written instructions on what to do/not do.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

For the included maintenance I'd let them do whatever the book says. It's not "free" but you already paid when you got the car, so take it. I'd be more irritated about not getting to look at the plugs but mostly because I always want to see mine for myself. Even so, it's not worth fussing about. When you're getting a bill for it, that's different.

Old 04-23-2022, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Considering it is called for in the maintenance schedule, it was FREE, and was the last opportunity you would have to get it FREE - I think you owe them a bottle of Jack Daniels. BTW, changing the plugs is a bit of a pain, so they're presumptive attitude saved you about $300.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:02 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

And at least you now know the plugs won't have seized like some have experienced at relatively low mileage.

Last edited by scm; 04-23-2022 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:08 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

who complains about this sort of stuff

The following users liked this post:
MrKhacheerio (04-24-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 09:18 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I get what you are saying, kind of a ‘ if it ain’t broke’ thing . There are a lot of things on this motor that can be damaged accidentally or lifespan shortened. I would have questioned it as well. I don’t trust all Jag service techs at dealerships.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:16 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

What VA dealer did you go… just naming the city would be good instead of naming the actual dealership by name.

I get your point that they didn’t listen and they expect you to be ok with it.

Maybe the reason why they did it was so they could get reimbursed by the JLR for some extra revenue. Low mileage drivers kind of hurt the dealer’s business because the service center is where some dealers make most of their money, not from selling the cars themselves.

I’d be happy with the new plugs but probably wouldn’t take it back to that dealer because their going to milk JLR as much as possible and you’re right about that potentially causing more issues… they’re going to do what’s in their best interest, not yours.

The following users liked this post:
lotusespritse (05-28-2024)
Old 04-24-2022, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, I appreciate it. Lol, I wasn't complaining as much as expressing my frustration at risk vs reward and lack of communication. And now this service visit seems to gave spawned some kind of electrical circus - as per my other threads which I guess are becoming one, I now have a rebooting head unit, very lagging rear camera, flashes of the blue screen of death, and I discovered inoperative front parking sensors this morning. Battery seems to be fine via the CTEK tender.

The car was basically perfect going in for simple safety and emissions tests as required by law. Now I have a mess on my hands and I feel I need to go back to that same dealership immediately to have them remedy. I don't always have the best luck in life but I just can't believe this is all coincidence. (To be fair and for total transparency, the head unit was working on the way home. If it wasn't I would not have left the dealership)

Thanks Datriani - I totally follow you. I think the shenanigans between dealership and corporate is going to run the brand into bankruptcy. Corporate should adjust the maintenance schedules to have explicit time or mileage limits on the items that need them, not just a blanket "which ever comes first". The dealership is on the west side of NOVA near Chantilly.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Clutch
The dealership is on the west side of NOVA near Chantilly.
I went to that dealership when I bought my car a year and a half ago to get my incontrol stuff setup and the service manager said it would take hours to program, was very complicated and would cost $200-300. He also said they were short staffed and it would take a few days/weeks before the could get to it. I didn’t really believe him because just common sense says it should be as easy as updating their database with my information and shooting a signal to my car to update or something along those lines. When I said that to him, he argued and said it’s much more complicated than that and chuckled at me. I posted my issue on this forum and a few members were quick to tell me to call JLR directly and within 20-30 minutes I was all set.

That service manager did try to refer me to their McLean location (same dealership owner). I used to have a RR and the McLean dealership got me to do a timing chain change under warrenty. A year+ later I had issues and an indy shop said who ever worked on my car did a horrible job because they used old parts that should have been replaced when they did the work.

Other members have said the Columbia, MD dealership is tip top and honest. I’ve talked to them a few times but haven’t had any work done there but from my conversations, they seem very knowledgeable, courteous and I didn’t get a sense of bs from the 3 different individuals I’ve spoken with.

I’m in nova area and started a DMV F-Type Facebook group if you’re interested in joining… DM me.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Clutch
The car was basically perfect going in for simple safety and emissions tests as required by law. Now I have a mess on my hands and I feel I need to go back to that same dealership immediately to have them remedy. I don't always have the best luck in life but I just can't believe this is all coincidence. (To be fair and for total transparency, the head unit was working on the way home. If it wasn't I would not have left the dealership)
You may want to disconnect your car battery for 10 secs so it can reset. If you need help with that, DM and I could swing by your place and help today or next week.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:12 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the forum but have been on the phone with dealership service. I did try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and then hooked up again - no improvement - in fact the power tailgate is now not working! Ugh. So, had a decent conversation with Service and I agreed to take it back in to them on Wednesday, with a loaner lined up. I hope it's something simple and they can link it to the actions they did on the last visit. I'll try my best to remain patient and calm...

I'll report back here later in the week..

Old 04-24-2022, 12:44 PM

Good luck with everything.. It's so frustrating not to have a beautiful (and $$$) car not perform perfectly, especially when you just got it back from the dealer.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by datriani
Good luck with everything.. It's so frustrating not to have a beautiful (and $$$) car not perform perfectly, especially when you just got it back from the dealer.
I'll see you and raise you: what's frustrating is having a new-to-me Jaguar that I've driven for less than an hour and having already discovering a likely broken engine mount.

Last edited by kb58; 04-24-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by kb58
I'll see you and raise you: what's frustrating is having a new-to-me Jaguar that I've driven for less than an hour and have already discovering a likely broken engine mount.
Ouch!!! If you’ve got extra cash burning a hole in your pocket, might be a good time to change out the upper and lower pulley and a get a tune from VAP. Definitely worth the $2500 for a substantial HP increase.

What’s your car doing that makes you suspect it’s the engine mount?

Old 04-24-2022, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by datriani
...What’s your car doing that makes you suspect it’s the engine mount?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...puzzle-258156/

To the OP, sorry for threadjacking, I'll sit down now.