Mad off topic movie recommendations- racing films

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts
Old 02-11-2021, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Champions Forever (One by One) | The Formula One Drivers (1975)

Old 02-11-2021, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Old 02-17-2021, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

OH WOW I love revisiting this. =) I missed a bunch.
Because of the amount of engineers on this board, and because it's that good, this recommendation will eventually get it's own thread, but... WATCH THE EXPANSE WATCH IT. It's 6th season was greenlit and about to film for release late 2021, but the word of mouth is just happening, and they'll produce the last 3 seasons if the waning moments of the pandemic get enough on board watching it prior to the release of the 6th. Amazon is watching these numbers, and it's pulling a Schitt's Creek or Killing Eve, other shows that went through the roof during the pandemic. It's on Amazon now.

If you're not watching the hard science fiction series "The Expanse" on Amazon, you're missing one of the greatest shows of all time. Beyond statebuilding (It's like Homeland and West Wing wrapped up into the solar system 330 years in the future), and the giant questions it's dealing with... the physics and proper space travel (like flip and burns for arriving at destination, or g-forces making you explode) is unreal. It's so exciting, and it just knocked The Wire out of my #1 spot for TV series.

That being said, there's a racing ship in the show called the Razorback, and this is the logo on the hull, and its the first time I legit thought of adding a bumper sticker to our car:

You can't really see the bottom one, but it's:
Icarus, Wright Brothers Flyer, Spirit of St. Louis, Boeing 747, Space Shuttle, Virgin Galactic, Epstein Drive ship, Razorback.
https://expanse.fandom.com/wiki/Razo...ip_Description

The following users liked this post:
RGPV6S (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
OH WOW I love revisiting this. =) I missed a bunch.
Because of the amount of engineers on this board, and because it's that good, this recommendation will eventually get it's own thread, but... WATCH THE EXPANSE WATCH IT. It's 6th season was greenlit and about to film for release late 2021, but the word of mouth is just happening, and they'll produce the last 3 seasons if the waning moments of the pandemic get enough on board watching it prior to the release of the 6th. Amazon is watching these numbers, and it's pulling a Schitt's Creek or Killing Eve, other shows that went through the roof during the pandemic. It's on Amazon now.

If you're not watching the hard science fiction series "The Expanse" on Amazon, you're missing one of the greatest shows of all time. Beyond statebuilding (It's like Homeland and West Wing wrapped up into the solar system 330 years in the future), and the giant questions it's dealing with... the physics and proper space travel (like flip and burns for arriving at destination, or g-forces making you explode) is unreal. It's so exciting, and it just knocked The Wire out of my #1 spot for TV series.

That being said, there's a racing ship in the show called the Razorback, and this is the logo on the hull, and its the first time I legit thought of adding a bumper sticker to our car:

You can't really see the bottom one, but it's:
Icarus, Wright Brothers Flyer, Spirit of St. Louis, Boeing 747, Space Shuttle, Virgin Galactic, Epstein Drive ship, Razorback.
https://expanse.fandom.com/wiki/Razo...ip_Description

Agreed. It's a great series. Weird how the Belters have that Caribbean accent.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

For some special Jaguar content (and a bit of movie trivia), The Fast and the Furious as a movie title was originally used for a Roger Corman film in 1954 (and they made a deal with Corman to use the title for the 2001 film although its not a remake, not even close). A young woman is on her way to participate in a sports car club racing event in her Jaguar XK120 when she is kidnapped and carjacked by an escaped convict who intends to use her car and the trappings of an international race across the border to escape from California into Mexico. If you like 50's era sports cars like Cisitalia, Allard, Kurtis, Aston Martin, Austin Healey, Maserati, MG, Porsche, Triumph, and of course Jaguars, its got a lot of great carspotting scenes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fa...ous_(1954_film)

Old 02-17-2021, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Why am I now wanting to watch the original "Death Race 2000"?

Old 02-18-2021, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Why am I now wanting to watch the original "Death Race 2000"?
Because the remake is a train wreck, and it's about cars. ZING! =) That's fun.

Also, (I'm not going to stop til I see at least a new person say "I'm watching it" LOL) the Expanse Belter language is considered a creole. It's interesting how diverse the Belters are, but they said basically every miner from every poor country went for the spoils and riches vs danger back in the day, and now it's a mish mash pigeon of all the languages... I mean, this is inside baseball, but the reason Expanse is so mind blowing is the fully fleshed out world and future building rooted in modern reality... "During humanity's expansion into the solar system, people from many different parts of Earth or Mars often lived and worked together, and they developed a pidgin language to communicate with one another. Over time this developed into a full-fledged creole language, lang Belta, which became the lingua franca, a common tongue, of the Belt and the outer planets."

Old 02-18-2021, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

There's a 30s non car Fast and Furious too! I love all film history, so thought I would drop the Noir! =) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_a...ous_(1939_film)

But the Corman one is on Prime, here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/video/de...5-140ad49a2e23
The first 6 seconds are utter chaos. LOL =) I am really excited for this.

Today, the hot rod I am watching is Perseverance landing. =)

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (02-18-2021)