F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made the plunge and bought the new cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Made the plunge and bought the new cat

Midway through my lease on my 2012 XJL Supercharged I was able to turn it in without penalty and get into a 2015 F Type, won't have it until three months.

Went with the Coupe R, Salsa Red, Pano roof, Suede interior, etc. Love the combination.... First time though I have ever purchased an all red car and want to avoid at all costs rock chips, has anyone ever experienced the xpel films on their car?

Pre-cut XPEL Paint Protection Kits

I was thinking of doing the hood, fender, mirrors and front bumper at arrival of the vehicle.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum thebigcat,

That's a major change in vehicle scale! Great choice of spec.

Several members with the earlier two door models have used this type of product to counter stone chips, especially on the front bumper, so you may also find some useful feedback in those model tech forums.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 08-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigcat
Midway through my lease on my 2012 XJL Supercharged I was able to turn it in without penalty and get into a 2015 F Type, won't have it until three months.

Went with the Coupe R, Salsa Red, Pano roof, Suede interior, etc. Love the combination.... First time though I have ever purchased an all red car and want to avoid at all costs rock chips, has anyone ever experienced the xpel films on their car?

Pre-cut XPEL Paint Protection Kits

I was thinking of doing the hood, fender, mirrors and front bumper at arrival of the vehicle.
I have an Italian R.R. coupe and had Xpel applied to part of the car. Not really happy with the installer, however the product seems really good.
We did the front bumper, part of hood, some of the lower areas subject to gravel, (live in the country), mirrors.
I like:
.. Apparently xpel doesn't yellow, as some others do.
.. The xpel ultimate can be waxed over.
.. Already had a stone hit that damaged the xpel, but not the paint.
.. You can't really notice it on the car unless you are looking for it.

Don't like:
.. Installer usually used 3m, he didn't like installing xpel as much as he said it was more difficult. He complained that 3m had gotten behind the curve on new technology compared to xpel ultimate, but he liked 3m better as an installer.
.. His application on the mirrors has lifted on the bottom very slightly, so I need to see him to get fixed.
.. He told me it only came in rolls a certain width, so the whole hood could not be done, I later found out you can get an entire hood piece from xpel.
.. minor issue, however after waxing the edge of the xpel may have a bit of wax left, so you need to use a qtip, or fingernail to carefully take it off.

I had difficulty finding a xpel intaller in my area, so be sure and get someone that is used to the product.
Lawrence

Old 08-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome Big Cat...congrats on the new car!

Old 08-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Welcome to the community!

Just a note on your xpel install. If you're only doing the front part of your hood, strongly consider doing the whole hood.

I'm redoing my hood right now. I had only the front part covered, which worked well on my last few rides--not so apparently in the F-Type. Its low hood profile has already attracted several small rock chips up by the hood louvers.

Last edited by deltagroup; 08-02-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had Xpel applied to the front, whole hood, mirrors, A pillars. The guy who installed it was a real professional. Really happy with the product as well as peace of mind

Old 08-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I have an Italian R.R. coupe and had Xpel applied to part of the car. Not really happy with the installer, however the product seems really good.
We did the front bumper, part of hood, some of the lower areas subject to gravel, (live in the country), mirrors.
I like:
.. Apparently xpel doesn't yellow, as some others do.
.. The xpel ultimate can be waxed over.
.. Already had a stone hit that damaged the xpel, but not the paint.
.. You can't really notice it on the car unless you are looking for it.

Don't like:
.. Installer usually used 3m, he didn't like installing xpel as much as he said it was more difficult. He complained that 3m had gotten behind the curve on new technology compared to xpel ultimate, but he liked 3m better as an installer.
.. His application on the mirrors has lifted on the bottom very slightly, so I need to see him to get fixed.
.. He told me it only came in rolls a certain width, so the whole hood could not be done, I later found out you can get an entire hood piece from xpel.
.. minor issue, however after waxing the edge of the xpel may have a bit of wax left, so you need to use a qtip, or fingernail to carefully take it off.

I had difficulty finding a xpel intaller in my area, so be sure and get someone that is used to the product.
Lawrence

Thanks a lot, there are xpel installers in Charlotte so that won't be the problem.... I am guessing you hand wash your car since I was reading that the corners peel if you use an automated wash.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Congrats! Red sports car, can't get better than that.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigcat
Thanks a lot, there are xpel installers in Charlotte so that won't be the problem.... I am guessing you hand wash your car since I was reading that the corners peel if you use an automated wash.
Yes, I always hand wash anyway.
Lawrence