F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maint. for high mileage Ftype?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Maint. for high mileage Ftype?

I'm considering buying a high mileage F-type R (~65k miles) and want to realistically account for the maintenance I should do 1) day one and 2) in the first year or so. This obviously plays a huge part in determining fair purchase price. Assume using Jaguar dealership for all work. Ref: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...WJ6DL1GMK23358

I'm thinking the following:
1. Oil change
2. Transmission fluid change. I understand this also requires a replacement pan/filter, pushing total job to ~$2k in some cases.
3. Brake fluid flush
4. Possibly new pads, maybe rotors too
5. Shocks/struts/spring replacement - even in normal cars, shocks are getting weak at >50k miles. Side topic: Could I take the opportunity to retrofit SVR parts for suspension (are those plug'n'play with the R)?
6. Power steering fluid change
7. Spark plugs
8. Fuel injectors - I've heard of these needing replacement once you get up in mile
9. What else...?

I imagine that list alone can easily hit $10k at a dealership (or double that?). What else should I be considering and how hard should I be pushing down purchase price to compensate for all that?

Thank you for your advice and input.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by castbutaglance
I'm considering buying a high mileage F-type R (~65k miles) and want to realistically account for the maintenance I should do 1) day one and 2) in the first year or so. This obviously plays a huge part in determining fair purchase price. Assume using Jaguar dealership for all work. Ref: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...WJ6DL1GMK23358

1. Oil change
2. Transmission fluid change. I understand this also requires a replacement pan/filter, pushing total job to ~$2k in some cases.
3. Brake fluid flush
5. Shocks/struts/spring replacement - even in normal cars, shocks are getting weak at >50k miles. Side topic: Could I take the opportunity to retrofit SVR parts for suspension (are those plug'n'play with the R)?
7. Spark plugs
8. Fuel injectors - I've heard of these needing replacement once you get up in mile
9. What else...?

I imagine that list alone can easily hit $10k at a dealership (or double that?). What else should I be considering and how hard should I be pushing down purchase price to compensate for all that?

Thank you for your advice and input.
That's overdoing it by quite a bit.
At 65k, only the pollen filter and air filters are called for above and beyond any of annual maintenance and check items. New brake fluid every 3 years. Plugs at 96K. SC belt 96k/6 years. Accessory belt at 144k/9 years. Coolant at 160k/10 years. All fluids should be checked for color and changed as needed. ZF recommends against fussing with transmission fluids, just check levels.
Be certain to use top tier fuel and a bottle of BG 44K (annually) to keep the injectors operating properly for years. Otherwise they will gunk up and leak.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F-Type service schedule.pdf (100.7 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-17-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Note that the official maintenance schedule doesn’t even mention shocks/springs. I see their official service guidelines more as minimums not to let the car fail vs. how to optimize car for peak performance.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Below are my thoughts inline

1. Oil change
yes -- I stick to 5k intervals as I have with every car

trans fluid on the ZF8 is kinda a hot topic discussed on most enthusiast forums. I did a fluid change in my buddy's Audi Allroad at 85k miles and the fluid was noticeably dirty. I don't plan on touching the fluid in mine until ~75k miles if I even have the car that long.

3. Brake fluid flush
depends when it was last done, but its cheap enough I probably would.

you'd need to measure the remaining rotor and pad on the car for sale before you decide if you need to replace them -- no need to replace them until they're actually worn down...I always wait until the idiot light on the dash comes on.

springs will be fine.

shocks and struts could be worn or could be perfect, depending on how and where the car was driven -- you'd have to determine this on a case by case basis.

no clue if they're plug and play...I'd swap to something like Ohlins if you're attempting an upgrade.

can't imagine this is necessary at 65k miles

7. Spark plugs
I did mine but only because I was already in there -- they looked fine at 50k miles though

fuel injectors can go bad and ruin your day, if I were to do it again, I would have swapped them at my last service.

9. What else...?
is that not enough? lol

far more than $10k at the dealer -- parts and labor on the injectors alone is >$6k at the Jag dealer in Santa Monica, CA. If you plan on doing this, I'd find an indy, this would be a good way to start a relationship with them 😂

Old 08-17-2019, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

how to optimize car for peak performance.
Change everything, every 12 months...

Old 08-18-2019, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by unhingd
ZF recommends against fussing with transmission fluids, just check levels.
Several tranny and OEM manufacturers infer 'lifetime' ATF fluid life, but the fine print indicates that is for 'normal' not 'severe' service.

I'm going to replace ours at around 50K miles. I see that the price of the integrated pan and filter is around $250 just for the part, and the fluid is ~$28 USD, so I'm gonna have to buy the wife some flowers to appease her when I say I can't take her out to dinner for a month 'cause her Jag needs transmission fluid service!

I found THIS notation on BITOG:

ZF states:

In case of above-average operating conditions, such as:
- frequent freeway driving in the upper speed range
- offensive, sporty driving style
it is recommended to refresh (change) the oil of the automatic transmission every 100,000 km or no later than after 8 years.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

#5 is an overkill, you will know when they start failing but I'd expect 100K.

#8 is not needed and is expensive. Instead, run injector cleaner.

I also recommend chemical or steam intake cleaner. While F-type isn't as problematic as other DI (direct injection) engines, this setup isn't entirely problem free.

Fuel filter? It might be built into fuel pump, then I'd leave it alone.

Engine air intake filter.

You can also change differential fluid and engine coolant.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I officially revoke you car guy membership for endorsing lifetime transmission fill nonsense. You should know better. Leave you membership card on the table and exit via side door.

The following users liked this post:
schuss (12-29-2020)
Old 08-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I officially revoke you car guy membership for endorsing lifetime transmission fill nonsense. You should know better. Leave you membership card on the table and exit via side door.
Give it the weight appropriate for automatic advice from a dyed-in-the-wool manual guy. That is ZF's recommendation, as far as I know, but I skipped the automatic sections of the owners manual ;^)

I don't know why people talk about changing springs. Unless they're crap metal and/or crap heat-treated, they won't wear out. I'm not saying that some cars don't have crap springs, but if the ones on my F-Type sag like some old American leaf springs, I'll be extremely disappointed. The only reason you should ever have to change quality springs is if you want a different rate or ride height.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

I used to have one of the lifetime fill automatic transmissions BMW, after first gearbox failed at 60K I put in a low mileage used gearbox and religiously changed (just drain, so only 50% of fluid) oil every year with a synthetic ATF. That gearbox made it to 400K and was still shifting OK when the car finally rusted through in a way that made repair uneconomical.

My spouse also drives a manual now, as not changing ATF is a sure way to get rid of a car you don't like.

Last edited by SinF; 08-18-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:40 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

It's "lifetime" as far as the manufacturers are concerned because the life of the car to them is 100-120k miles. Beyond that you are on your own with everything. Can one of these modern transmissions make it to that many miles on the factory fluid fill? Probably. Is it wise to try to? Absolutely not.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
ZF’s recommendation, not mine. I’ll start pulling samples of tranny and diff. fluid at 75k and then at 25k intervals to determine when it needs to be done. I’ve had several cars that I’ve put over 150k miles on and have never needed to change the tranny or diff fluids. All based on oil analysis, not “feel good”. Then again, I don’t use the synchros on the tranny. That would certainly contaminate the fluid more quickly.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-19-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AJ16er
Can one of these modern transmissions make it to that many miles on the factory fluid fill? Probably. Is it wise to try to? Absolutely not.
I would re-state that "lifetime" is warranty period and the factory fill most definitely not going to get you to 200K on any modern automatic transmission even if all you do is drive it to church and bingo games.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

ZF’s recommendation, not mine.
Notice my ZF quote that mentioned an 'offensive, sporty driving' style? I'm SURE there is surveillance video somewhere, of Lance's driving.

I replace the fluid periodically in my manual transmission cars, too.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:35 PM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

ZF’s recommendation, not mine.
Please direct me to that official ZF documentation, not Jaguar's or any other car manufacturer for that matter.

ZF documentation (attached) states to change out the fluid (and filter) every 80.000 to 120.000K (Km, not Miles), or latest after 8 years, period, sooner if car is driven hard.
The attached is the documentation from the ZF oil kit (ZF sells such kits - transmission fluid, pan with filter).

Attached Files

Last edited by KVO; 08-20-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Found English version of ZF documentation
Old 08-20-2019, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KVO
Please direct me to that official ZF documentation, not Jaguar's or any other car manufacturer for that matter.

ZF documentation (attached) states to change out the fluid (and filter) every 80.000 to 120.000K (Km, not Miles), or latest after 8 years, period, sooner if car is driven hard.
The attached is the documentation from the ZF oil kit (ZF sells such kits - transmission fluid, pan with filter).
My info applies to the MT, and apparently not the AT