F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintaining piano black gloss trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Maintaining piano black gloss trim

Despite the use of expensive microfiber cloth I am starting to see early swirling on the interior piano black trim.
I want to fix and then protect it before it becomes more noticeable.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Ps. My own research has raised a few possibilities with products like "Klasse all in one"
Finally any thoughts on using ceramic coatings like cquartz to coat interior trim

Old 05-20-2017, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

the only gloss black in my cabin is immediately around the gearshift and door switches...is this what you're referring to?

ceramic coatings get swirls too...that's not your answer.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I'm fairly sure the piano black F-Type interior trims are clear coated. On other cars, including the clear coated woodgrain interior panels on my XFS and XFR, I have used two different clear coat scratch removers to good effect - Nu Finish Scratch Doctor and Meguiar's PlastX.

Edit - this inspired me to clean up the piano black bits in the F-Type, as I had never really tackled the fine scratches in them.
PlastX got 95% out, but left some fine marks and cloudiness, mainly around the sound system on/off button.
Finished off the job with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, which got 95% of the remainder out and removed all the cloudiness.
It's possible that Ultimate Compound is all you need unless the scratches are really bad.

Last edited by OzXFR; 05-21-2017 at 01:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CRS 123 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 01:38 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I'm fairly sure the piano black F-Type interior trims are clear coated. On other cars, including the clear coated woodgrain interior panels on my XFS and XFR, I have used two different clear coat scratch removers to good effect - Nu Finish Scratch Doctor and Meguiar's PlastX.

Edit - this inspired me to clean up the piano black bits in the F-Type, as I had never really tackled the fine scratches in them.
PlastX got 95% out, but left some fine marks and cloudiness, mainly around the sound system on/off button.
Finished off the job with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, which got 95% of the remainder out and removed all the cloudiness.
It's possible that Ultimate Compound is all you need unless the scratches are really bad.
Thanks - that sounds like it would do the trick - they aren't bad but I want to keep it that way

Old 05-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Megs ScratchX works well on the Piano Black bits, inside and out.

I usually coat it with a good carnuba wax afterwards, but it will scratch if you just breath on it!

The following users liked this post:
CRS 123 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

3M Plastic scratch remover #39017 works well.