F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major F-Type R Performance Overhaul, need opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 10:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Major F-Type R Performance Overhaul, need opinions!

Morning all,

I found myself in quit a conundrum and I'll get right to the point. I am considering the two following scenarios

1. Add paramount performance full sports manifold back exhaust system with valve system and switch (active) and 200 cell cats. Also add pulley and tune. Throw in air filters, bushings (lower it a bit), paramount performance aftermarket intercooler. Lastly, Eventuri Air Intake. My tuner and I expect 670+ when running min 93. I plan on running 104 regularly so hope to see a pop from that if the car manages with it. Cost is about $14000

2. Go with etg, euro tuning group, with their cats, tune, and ONLY cats recommendation (they suggested that further exhaust mods would too far reduce down pipe back flow pressure and thus any money spent was not "well spent". ) with this scenario, I could probably through on the cooler and then downforce assisting mods to keep the tires down. Cost probably under 10k.

Wildcard- plan to add fully adjustable rpm regulated nitrous system to either system for what we anticipate in all its glory will be 3-4k.

I need your advice!!!!!!!! Or, if you have completely different recommendations please let me know.

I need to keep within a budget of $20000 which includes the nos. system. Thank you oh so wise jaguar community!

Chris
Nashville, TN, USA

Old 03-20-2016, 10:46 AM

Well I screwed up, it's a 16 f type r awd, forgot to mention. Also, if any other owners are in the Nashville area, feel free to give me a ring and we can tear up the town. 615-679-5556

Old 03-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

What are you using the car for?

Old 03-20-2016, 11:02 AM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

My 2 cents and I race this car often...

1) Don't waste your money on that crazy expense air intake.
2) Unless you have extra cash, spend the money on some properly sticky tires (drag radial if straight line is your game or perhaps PS2's otherwise) - and skip anything to add downforce - trust me that awd ftype isn't really gonna get loose on you.

I'm also considering that bigger IC - just posted about it. And thinking about a small wet shot to get this thing moving...it doesn't 60' for sh@#$t and is just waking up at the 1/8 mile.

Jay

Old 03-20-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Philly Single
My 2 cents and I race this car often...

1) Don't waste your money on that crazy expense air intake.
2) Unless you have extra cash, spend the money on some properly sticky tires (drag radial if straight line is your game or perhaps PS2's otherwise) - and skip anything to add downforce - trust me that awd ftype isn't really gonna get loose on you.

I'm also considering that bigger IC - just posted about it. And thinking about a small wet shot to get this thing moving...it doesn't 60' for sh@#$t and is just waking up at the 1/8 mile.

Jay
I use it as my daily driver....... Duh! But seriously..... I would like to drag it and eventually take it for a weekend on the track every 2-3 months.

On the air intake, I wasn't under the assumption it was all that expensive, I could be wrong! I am assuming regardless that you think them to be a waste?

Can you clarify on the ps2's, not familiar with brand. Seriously interested if they can help.

Plan for the NoS was perhaps start with a 30-40 shot when punched, move up from there as we watch what the engine can tolerate. I can't imagine anything more than 100 would be very healthy for the good old girl nor necessary as all you would be doing is smoking all four tires in third gear.

I am going to pow wow with tuner today in regards to all of this on top of what yall recommend. Work should start some time in the next 7-10 days if lucky.

As a quick shout out, DBR performance tuning in spring Hill, Tennessee, usa is a hell of a operation. David the owner regularly is working on some of the most power and beautiful cars in the world. I encourage anyone in the area to swing by and check his collection out if your ever stateside.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I think you need to take some time and develop a better plan, as right now it kinda just sounds like you're going to just throw parts at the car because they are available. With a budget as high as $20k for performance parts, you should seriously consider what is going to give you the best performance. At that price point you're getting into twin turbo territory which could provide some serious performance improvement over this load of bolt ons. In addition to that, I don't know anyone who's used anything from paramount performance, so they are basically an unproven idea. The possibility of being very disappointed in the results you get is very real.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-21-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 11:32 AM

Personally, I wouldn't waste ANY money on an air intake - maybe some new drop in filters is about it. And def not on that Eventuri - it is very pretty - but I'm calling BS on those HP claims and doesn't it cost ~$1800USD+??

Sorry, meant the Michelin Pilot PS2 tires - I have much better experience with them over the P-Zero's the car came with. But neither will compare to a set of MT drag radials for straight line.

Agreed on the nitrous - was also thinking about a 35shot and we'll get the added benefit of cooling the charge...so...in theory will prob net more than 35hp

SinF (03-21-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, meant the Michelin Pilot PS2 tires - I have much better experience with them over the P-Zero's the car came with. But neither will compare to a set of MT drag radials for straight line.
He's AWD, not sure why he'd get drag radials.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
He's AWD, not sure why he'd get drag radials.
Doh! Completely forgot about that...you're right. Also agree on throwing money at the car. Get a solid plan together and I think you will be very happy and spend only a fraction of that $20k budget

Unless of course you want to join the group of us going after a set of carbon fiber wheels!

Old 03-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Unless of course you want to join the group of us going after a set of carbon fiber wheels!
True, this in itself may be the best option performance wise.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Stohlen has you pointed in the right direction. Don't even think of buying a whole bunch of performance parts, throwing them on the car and getting someone to send you an off the shelf or long distance tune. Visit with a performance shop that has a solid reputation in the "high-end" (Jag, AM, BMW, Porsche,Ferrari, Maserati) racing community that can advise you on what add-ons to buy and can tune the car to maximize each of the modifications.

And yes, if we find the right solution, a set of CF wheels could have a big positive impact without having to re-tune the car.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

A more important question might be why he feels the car needs that much money throwing at it.

The car is not exactly slow, to the point where you cannot fully exploit what it has as standard without a lot of space and a lack of Law Enforcement.

With that much budget, just buy a Lamborghini...

Old 03-20-2016, 10:26 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I think you need to take some time and develop a better plan, as right now it kinda just sounds like you're going to just throw parts at the car because they are available. With a budget as high as $20k for performance parts, you should seriously consider what is going to give you the best performance. At that price point you're getting into twin turbo territory which could provide some serious performance improvement over this load of bolt ons. In addition to that, I don't know anyone who's used anything from paramount performance, so they are basically an unproven idea. The possibility of being very disappointed in the results you get is very real.
I'm with you Stolen. Twin turbo conversion with the 20K is what I'd do. The problem is engine control with the Bosch ECU. If anyone wants to participate, I'm game....

Old 03-21-2016, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cbroth1
I'm with you Stolen. Twin turbo conversion with the 20K is what I'd do. The problem is engine control with the Bosch ECU. If anyone wants to participate, I'm game....
I don't think you'd be happy with the spool up time. More power, yes. Faster acceleration, ?. Even if faster, the low end grunt with the SC will make it feel faster and stronger than the TT.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-21-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:04 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by F-typical
A more important question might be why he feels the car needs that much money throwing at it.

The car is not exactly slow, to the point where you cannot fully exploit what it has as standard without a lot of space and a lack of Law Enforcement.

With that much budget, just buy a Lamborghini...
Funny you mentioned that..... Major F-Type R Performance Overhaul,  need opinions!-20160313_151726.jpg

Major F-Type R Performance Overhaul,  need opinions!-20160313_151816.jpg

I can play Eni meani miny MO all day long but right now I love the jag. The middle car runs 1450hp on 110 octane, overkill....

I think we have differing perspectives, I see cars as a object to run to their limits and honestly, abuse. Not because I want to be some prepubescent civic r ricer with a cat back, but because I sleep better knowing that I can reach 200kph before merging from a highway on ramp. ramp.

In all seriousness though, cars are a family affair and nothing will ever be fast enough. I REALLYYYYY like the idea of the CF wheels, is that a serious project being considered? I am open to some seed funding for the project.

In terms of twins, a respected turner would need to come up with A LOT of cash to get all the info from jaguar to begin boring cylinders, constructing pistons, and boosting compression. I have heard 15k up front if you want access to the files needed to unlimited and unfiltered tuning. I could be wrong. If someone knows different, very cool. If someone is already doing TT setups, even better. I do think I would like to keep this with a super thought. The 1450 hp TT Gallardo with mid boost on doesn't get traction till 4th gear, I would like to focus on 0-100 for this kitty. The Lambos are not a DD, I want this ftype to still be one after all is said and done.

Again, all your input is invaluable, I appreciate having you all to bounce ideas off of!

Chris

Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Tweaking and tuning F-Types is very much in its infancy. So whatever you end up doing, be prepared for failures and set backs, as you may in fact be the first to do that level of customization / integration on one of these things. It is also quite possibly the end result may be less fun than the original, as once again everyone involved will be making it up as they go along.

But to inventors and pioneers sometimes go great rewards, so if you have the time and money - venture forth and do great things. But if you don't mind, do publish your adventures here if you will, so some of the others folk with this level of interest can learn from what you can accomplish.

Orkney

SinF (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Here is how I would spend $20,000 - buy used M3, put in a cage and race seats into it.

Your F-type is more than adequate for the casual track use, unless you are a professional driver (and then you wouldn't be asking these types of questions) it is highly unlikely you will be able to take full advantage of any mods. It is also not clear that your mods would measurably improve your car.

My suggestion - buy a set of Michelin Super Sport tires for your car, get an engine oil, transmission fluid, and brake fluid changed and you are good to go. Total should be about $2500.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chris starko
I REALLYYYYY like the idea of the CF wheels, is that a serious project being considered? I am open to some seed funding for the project
Yes. There are already 6 of us who have expressed serious interest and willingness to participate in a group buy. I will add you to the list. See the CF Wheel Group Buy thread. Unfortunately, Carbon Research will be a while before they get around to building a wheel for the F-Type, and even though ESE will build the wheels for us, they aren't the best looking wheel. With the help of Jaronstoys, I am researching other alternatives. Wheel weights will be under 15lbs.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:55 AM

Hey Chris...so where's "home" originally? You're in Tennessee - but still talking in KPH

Congrats on the TT lambo, I keep going back and forth on picking one up, they're absolutely bonkers. Do you have an UGR car or other?

Seriously though - As the guys have said, yes, there's a group of us very much serious about getting them. ESE Carbon is looking like our "backup" company / wheel design.

I'd love to put a set of twins on the ftype - but I think we'd be in way over $20k to do it - imagine we'd have to have MoTeC running in conjunction with the factory ecu - like the lambo's etc. do.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes. There are already 6 of us who have expressed serious interest and willingness to participate in a group buy. I will add you to the list. See the CF Wheel Group Buy thread. Unfortunately, Carbon Research will be a while before they get around to building a wheel for the F-Type, and even though ESE will build the wheels for us, they aren't the best looking wheel. With the help of Jaronstoys, I am researching other alternatives. Wheel weights will be under 15lbs.

Our members (because lets be honest, there aren't that many of us) have been very diligent in creating new aftermarket options for the F Type, on a level I haven't seen on other forums before. Perhaps this is based on need more than anything, but there are several interesting projects coming along by various members including carbon fiber underhood paneling, paddle shifters, and various exhaust components. But these carbon fiber wheels to me are the most exciting, even more so than my own personal project!

Quick Reply: Major F-Type R Performance Overhaul, need opinions!