F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the best sounding F-Type... (on the inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Just following up to see if you had some time to take some pics. I am looking at upgrading my stereo system already and I haven't even picked up the car. (hopefully ready this weekend) LOL. Based on your recommendation I picked up the Focal component speakers and though I love the Alpine Type Rs, I ended up picking up a JL audio slim subwoofer because I can have a custom enclosure made in the small space in the trunk of the coupe. The only thing left is to pick up the Audison, but the shop I went to said I should go with the Bit Ten versus the Bit One. I'm powering everything through Alpine PDX amps (4.150 and P1000). Again, the shop is recommending just using the P1000 to power the Focals and the Sub. If you have any pics of the doors without panels that you could share too I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Old 04-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Sorry man, it's been an INSANE couple of days at the office. I will post up all the pics I have tomorrow. So glad you went with the focals! I think you're going to love them! I ended up having a custom enclosure made for my Alpine, but the JL Audio slim sub is great too. I think you are going to be really happy with that combo.

What's the overall plan for power? In other words what will they have the 4.150 do?

Why did they recommend the Bit Ten over the Bit One? I prefer the 4 DSP options of the Bit One and there is more tuning that can be done with a Bit One. The cost difference might not be worth it though.

Also..um.. GIMME YOUR WHEELS. I love the Tornado wheels. :-p

Old 04-13-2016, 10:34 PM

All Good, I know how it is as I have my crazy days in the office too. I just wanted to see the finished result. I hope so too for the price of those things. LOL. I can honestly say that's the highest I've spent on components in my life, I've usually stayed around the 5 to 60 hundred range. I went with the slim JL just due to the small box requirements and let's face it JL has always made good subs. The audio place said I could even probably go with JLW7 8" for that space too, but figured the larger slim line would be best. We haven't finalized the mapping out of the things since I'm waiting on the Focal and JL sub. Once those come in then I have everything and will bring over the pieces so they can map it all out. It looks like custom enclosure for the JL in that space and hide the PDX 1000 and use that to power everything and leave the 4.150 out. They said since the amp is too powerful for that sub then they can use the rest of the power to power the remaining speakers. They said the Bit Ten would be more than enough based on what we discussed today for $450.00 less. I think once they start looking over everything we can reassess which processor we choose. The Tornado's for factory wheels don't seem to look that bad. I just need them to get me through this summer then may look at alternate wheels. I love the ADV1, but the cost is ridiculous. Can't wait to see the final pics of your install. Thank you

My choice:
ADV.1 Wheels Media Gallery | jaguar-f-type-s-10-spoke-wheels-adv10-mv1-gloss-black-rims | adv1-jaguar-f-type-s-convertible-black-wheels-10-spoke-rims-i

Old 04-17-2016, 09:09 PM

Updated pics!

Doors. Looks a lot like... doors

Bit One DRC.

Amp rack.

Where's the sub?!

There it is. Hidden sub box.

The following users liked this post:
Smoke Em (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 09:16 PM

Thank you for sharing. I'm meeting with my guys on Tuesday night/Wednesday and come up with a plan.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:54 PM

Stopped by my stereo shop today to see how things are going on the stereo overhaul. I'm excited and can't wait to hear how it sounds which we are expecting to begin to hear it this weekend and then next week to finish tweaking sound and doing final touches with amp rack and LEDs etc.

Everything exposed behind the seats.

custom speaker trim to mount the Focal 3 way system (woofer)

Again behind driver seat.

removed the factory subwoofer and replaced it with the crossover from the Focals on the back of the ABS black plastic piece.

mid range speaker mounted on the door panel

custom made bracket for the tweeter and final speak of the 3 ways.

Custom fiberglass box .50 cubic foot with cover wrapped in black vinyl.

closer shot of the vinyl cover on the fiberglass box.

This is the cover piece that will be either carpeted or wrapped in black vinyl as well with speaker grill over so you can still utilize the trunk without damaging the speaker or taking up space. Well space for the subwoofer at least. The amp rack which will be at the back of trunk (behind the seat) will take up some room in the trunk.

Going to stop back there on Saturday afternoon to see if we got preliminary sound and see how the progress is.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:20 PM

I like the vinyl cover on the sub box! Looks pretty snazzy. Seems like they are doing a good job so far on the build. I'm excited for you.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I like the vinyl cover on the sub box! Looks pretty snazzy. Seems like they are doing a good job so far on the build. I'm excited for you.
yeah me too. Thanks and it appears it's going well. They handle all the high end cars in my neighborhood so that's why I chose them plus they were authorized dealers of Alpine, Audison, Hertz, JL Audio so made perfect sense. I just wish they weren't so damn expensive, but whatever as long as it sounds and looks good that's all I care about.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Smoke Em,

I hope that works out well for you. Make sure you ask the installer to give you a baggie with all the left over clips, fasteners, and other bits and pieces left over after they reinstall the interior. :-)

Old 05-18-2016, 04:23 PM

yes sir. Thank you for the reminder. They have everything going in bags and boxes because they know they will be taking everything out and putting everything back in when I return it or upgrade for a new one. Now only if the freaking radar antennae's were available they could install it too, but not until June. They did ask me to bring back the 2 laser diffusers to run the wires to the rear so they can just connect them and not have to take the rear apart again so I just dropped them off to them.

AL Priority laser jammer just waiting on the radar heads (front and rear).

Old 05-18-2016, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
yeah me too. Thanks and it appears it's going well. They handle all the high end cars in my neighborhood so that's why I chose them plus they were authorized dealers of Alpine, Audison, Hertz, JL Audio so made perfect sense. I just wish they weren't so damn expensive, but whatever as long as it sounds and looks good that's all I care about.
Ha, yep, this was part of my criteria too. If the F-Type is the cheapest car in the garage you are probably in good hands!

Old 05-18-2016, 06:09 PM

Ha, yep, this was part of my criteria too. If the F-Type is the cheapest car in the garage you are probably in good hands!
Oh yeah.. They do all Lambos, Ferraris, Bentleys and porsches.. Most of those cars are getting radars and jammers and I went the stereo overhaul. Overall, I'm sure I will be happy. Just can't wait for it to get completed so I can get the other things done (radar/jammer, lower pulley/tune) and enjoy the car.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
Oh yeah.. They do all Lambos, Ferraris, Bentleys and porsches.. Most of those cars are getting radars and jammers and I went the stereo overhaul. Overall, I'm sure I will be happy. Just can't wait for it to get completed so I can get the other things done (radar/jammer, lower pulley/tune) and enjoy the car.
Update?

Old 05-22-2016, 08:54 PM

not much.. I stopped there yesterday and they've completed the installation in the doors and were working on the Focal crossovers. They had a question to where I wanted the Audison DRC controller installed and how I wanted the 4 presets. They showed me how the amp/bit one rack was going to look. I'm expecting it to be done this weekend so keeping fingers crossed. I just have to make a decision on what to wrap the amp rack in, carpet or vinyl. They said black carpet would make it match perfectly, but I'm stubborn and thinking the black vinyl would look better. I asked my buddy for his opinion and he did installs for years and he was kind of agreeing with the stereo shop. Will make final decision tomorrow.

Focal Cross-over

Where the Focal cross-over is being installed where factory sub is located.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:12 PM

Well I hate to admit it, but Lobster you were dead on with those interior speakers and processor. I've never spent that much on a set of components in my life, but they are well worth the money. My wife and I just got home from dinner and she was blasting the stereo so loud because she had a few drinks and was feeling good. I can't believe how much of a difference the car sounds with the BitOne another item well worth the money. I have to break in the speakers for 20 hours and then we are going to re-tune the set-up and set-up another 2 presets on the DRC. They also did a nice job on the looks to go with the sound. They could've went crazy, but we wanted to keep the look somewhat stock without giving up too much space and I think they made it the perfect balance. I scheduled to go back in there on June 27th to install the dual head radar detector with laser jammer and air horn. They were going to do the air horn this time, but has to remove front bumper to do it properly and since that has to come off for the radar/laser we both felt it could wait the 3 weeks. I know you guys can't hear it, but below are the final pics.

Picking it up at shop. This is with the speaker grill removed. I can take a daytime picture tomorrow with the speaker cover installed. With it installed you can place anything over the sub.

Another pic at shop when picking it up from an angle.

same at shop with a pic from straight on with everything open.

Picture from tonight after dinner with the rear speaker grill cover (fake floor) in place.

picture from tonight after dinner with the sub speaker cover removed.

same with a straight shot of everything from the back.

Let me know what you guys think..

Old 06-09-2016, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Hey Smoke

I know the oem speaker locations but could you define the speaker sizing in each location so we can look at options in other brands. Id like to start with speaker swaps with crossover caps and then later move on to bitone and amping.

You'd be the best to answer this.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-09-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh boy this is a great thread. These installs look awesome. Thanks in advance for making me about to spend a lot of money on a new stereo lol!

Old 10-28-2016, 06:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, absolutely. Keeping all of the space possible was one my priorities. The sub is going to be mounted in a custom built box that will fit in the small well that sits underneath the floor of the trunk, right near the tail end of the car.

The amps are going to take up a bit of space, but from what we discussed today it will be very little. They are going to be mounted up against the front wall of the trunk and I'll lose a tiny bit of space that way. They gave me the option of having an awesome looking amp rack built for them there or having a false wall created to make them invisible. I decided to go with the amp rack. Inside the cabin it's important to me for it to look totally stock. In the trunk.. *shrug*.

But yeah, I need to be able to use the car for airport runs and road trips, so definitely trying to keep all the space I can.
In case I missed it, what did they did with the space where the old sub was?

Old 10-28-2016, 05:00 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

So the door has 3 speakers, correct?? (woofer, mid, tweeter).
So 2 x 3 = 6 speakers.

Just curious, where are the 6 other speakers?

Old 10-28-2016, 05:07 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Check this out for speaker locations...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8iioydlxf...akers.pdf?dl=0

Quick Reply: Making the best sounding F-Type... (on the inside)