F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a rock-solid reliable V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 08:40 AM
Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Making a rock-solid reliable V8

After months of one cylinder cutting out randomly, I'm finally at the point where it has to be fixed. But the fix is a $15,000 engine-out rebuild that involves 8 new injectors, a new fuel rail, machining the heads, and putting it all back together. I have an amazing shop (Park Place Auto in Bellevue, WA) who have all the expertise and special tools, and have Jaguar on speed dial for the "official" advice. What I'm looking for your advice on, though, is:

1. What else should I do while we're there, that will make this engine ready for another 100k miles? Replacing the plastic water pipe with the aluminum one is the one thing I know about, and we've already included that in the list. I'm not a Jag purist - aftermarket parts are fine with me if they are better. Does someone else make more reliable injectors? What are the other weak points?

2. Am I foolish to want to upgrade the power while I'm there? I have these two sitting on the shelf that I've been meaning to install. Should I do that? Wait 10k miles until I'm sure the new engine is solid before I do them? Not try to push this engine any more and risk another problem?
https://minagallery.com/jaguar-f-typ...be-filter-kit/
https://minagallery.com/jaguar-f-typ...ulley-upgrade/

Thanks for your wisdom!

Old 02-22-2023, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

1. Renew all the plastic coolant pipes and tubes not just the aluminium ones. Renew the water pump. Check out the Euro Amp kit: https://euro-amp.com/products/jaguar...ipping-returns
Renew the SC coupler and maybe the SC bearings as well, consider renewing the snout altogether. Renew the SC oil/fluid. Renew the spark plugs. Clean the backs of the intake valves and intake ports using either walnut blasting or chemicals and scrubbing/wiping, plenty of YouTube vids showing how.
Consider renewing the injectors and coils, I haven't read of any better/more reliable injectors than OEM. The OEM injector problems are two-fold - the nozzles get clogged with carbon deposits and/or stick open, and they get stuck in the head real hard again with carbon deposits, all injectors potentially have the same problems on these engines (because GDI).

2. You should fit those parts while you are at it but see skizot's posts and advice about replacing the SC pulley especially his tips and tricks.
Not sure you will see much if any boost in power or torque from just fitting a new smaller SC pulley, it probably would need a tune as well. Many/most agree a larger crank pulley plus tune is better and much easier to fit than a smaller SC pulley or you could do both, VAP have tunes for that.
The Mina intake kit is a no brainer and virtually risk free.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
schuss (02-22-2023), skizot (02-23-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 09:01 PM
Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice thanks, that EuroAmp kit is excellent! I plan to replace all 8 injectors and do the spark plugs. I hadn't thought about the SC but that makes sense.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:56 AM
Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

Adding my response from FB here as well. In case in the future, someone is looking for this information as well. Good luck Brian. Let us know how it goes:

Not doubting your local shop, but a few questions and comments. First, how many miles are on your car now? Seeing the car is being pulled apart (assuming you plan to move forward with the repair), new plugs would make sense and depending on mileage, new coils too. I would not spend extra money if you did not need to, but other maintenance ideas "while you are in there."
I would definitely replace the upper and lower coolant pipes with aluminum but might as well get the water pump replaced now and replace the water pump connecter with aluminum as well: -Jaguar Water Pump - Oil Cooler Aluminium Upgrade Connector (britishparts.co.uk)

Euro Amp sells a lot of parts that might be worth a look: https://euro-amp.com/collections/jaguar-land-rover-parts

I personally would not spend the money on an intake, unless your goal is better supercharger sound, that is about all it is really good for. It could actually take away some performance as well:

For real performance upgrades, you could look at the newly introduced forged pistons and rods from Velocity AP however that is going to add a lot of cost to the repair, but if you want just some performance gains, also look at their offering for this platform, including stage 2 or 3 (lower or lower+upper pulley plus tune):

https://www.velocityap.com/

As for what else, well again all depends on budget and expectations. You could do a methanol setup to cool intake temps. I would definitely be doing a full fluid flush and fill on the Oil, Supercharger, Transfer Cases, Rear Diff, etc if not already done.

I am sure there are other suggestions out there, but there is a LOT you could do, "while in there."

Last edited by skizot; 02-23-2023 at 06:58 AM.