F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Malfunctioning leveling of the headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2024, 03:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I honestly forgot to unplug the headlights. But the car was put to sleep (about 1 hour of complete inactivity), so I don't know if it could really have had an effect. If so, I don't know if there is some damage to the movement, or just let's say some popping out of the gears?

The question is, is there anything left for me other than new lights anyway.. And if so, I would prefer to go to the MK1 facelift full-LED headlights, but I would need some kind of reduction, which is nowhere to be found. And I really don't want to pay $4,300 for a set from Aliexpress..

Old 05-31-2024, 06:21 PM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Well, my bulb do not light up anymore, it used to work intermittently despite being wrong, I’m waiting for the new bulbs to do everything at once and have kept the light switch off.

it also seems they are not moving with the steering wheel movement or start up, at least in the video.(light switched to on)

On a side note, my dash had a warning sign when i first installed them, not for bulbs being wrong, but for forgetting to plug the outer connection to the car on one side. So if you have no warning of any sort, it’s probably physical and your option will be limited.

Last edited by Ray Ray; 05-31-2024 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 11:38 PM

Just went out to the car fiddling with something, and the light actually came on, but it definitely did not perform any swirling, side to side or up and down. Am i missing something?

Old 06-01-2024, 12:09 AM

Ok, you have to have your lights on, DRL is not enough. They are turned off in your video - have you tried that?

Old 06-01-2024, 04:33 AM

Reason why they were not on were written in the text.

Also found this, check post 5 and see if anything relates.

https://www.jaginfo.org/threads/self...estion.115666/

Old 06-01-2024, 05:42 AM

Sorry, I missed that. So if I understand it correctly, the lights were on, only because of the bad bulb it didn't work, right? Do you have AFS function at all? It was also only available for an additional fee and not every F-type has it.
Anyway, every xenon or LED, including my Passat, does the down and up movement (or maybe vice versa in the case of Jaguar, although I don't think so). I know the F-type does it too, because when I leave the garage I stand against the white wall, where the movement was always visible.
Anyway, thanks for the link, after looking at that thread, I'll check the fuses (they should be in front of the passenger) just in case. If I can't find anything, I'll go take apart the lights and if necessary, I'll try to replace the motors with new ones, maybe that could solve the problem..

Old 06-01-2024, 07:45 AM

Yes, the light was on the “on” position when i took the video, and it did not come on. Weirdly, when i tried again later when it was completely dark out, it worked.

I’m pretty sure i have the cornering light at least, i feel the motor and the window sticker says so, dunno about the leveling part.

though i have never noticed them even before i changed the bulbs, I’m not entirely sure if i never paid attention, it’s not working, i don’t have it, or the wrong bulb is causing it.

i will give it another try in a bit, I’m curious myself too.

Old 06-01-2024, 09:48 AM

Okay left headlight disassembled.
I was looking for a while to see how the mechanism works and where the motor is. I finally found it. Absolutely everything seems fine. The motor shows no signs of burning or damage, as well as the other components of the headlight.

I videotaped the function of the motor itself (only the left light is connected).

#1: Ignition on:

#2: Engine started:

As you can see, except for a slight hesitation, it works without any problems - both with the ignition on and with the engine running..

I then assembled the rest of the inner parts of the headlight. Below you can see the movement of the light with the ignition on...

...and when I started the engine.

Again everything is relatively fine. I've never noticed the lens turning to the side on startup before, but I think it's okay. Every car with an AFS function does this. So far everything is fine except for the fact that the light goes up first and then down, which is unusual. But so be it.

But the last video demonstrates the movement of the lens when BOTH LIGHTS are connected...

As you can see, at this point the upward movement is absolutely minimal and the main movement is only sideways. With the ignition on, the situation is identical to the video in my #2 post.
Anyway, I'm going to take apart the second light as well. I will lubricate the motor with vaseline as in the case of the left one, and in general I will at least use the option of cleaning the lights, possibly modifying them a bit and replacing the covers with new ones. However, for 100%, it won't change the situation.

So this leads me to think that the control unit that controls the function of the lights is likely to be faulty. Not the one in the lights, but the "superior" one. Can someone please tell me the part number and location of the unit?
I'll try replacing it with another one, that might solve the problem. There won't be a problem with the light units themselves, because it wouldn't only show up when both main lights are on, but always. Also if there was a problem with the motors, they would not function correctly. But they work. The overall confused behavior (perhaps including the up-down movement instead of down-up), which is most apparent when both main lights are on, really looks like a faulty control unit. Either the new LED bulbs could have damaged them (I put them back in the lights at the moment), or they could have been damaged by replacing without the unplugged connectors (my fault). I have no idea if the lenses can be turned left and right depending on the steering wheel when the car is stationary. Maybe one of you could try again just to be sure.
Either the fact that it doesn't happen to me can again be caused by the potentially faulty control unit, or some minimum speed limit is set. As you can see, the movement to the sides works as such, so the problem will not be in the mechanics of the lights as such..

Old 06-01-2024, 11:36 AM

I got the video, it includes stationary engine running, and stationary gear in D foot on brake, and doors open and closed, i don’t know if it means anything though as i see 0 movement of the lenses, and 0 movement on the light projected on the wall from my pov.

My window sticker is attached below, the cornering light is optioned under vision pack 3 so I’m supposed to have at least the swirling. Headlight assemblys have 2014 production date so they are 99% og units.

i will report back in a few days when i get the correct bulbs.

And lastly, good luck on your adventure, albeit unintended.

Old 06-01-2024, 12:04 PM

Thanks!
Now I need to find unit number to buy a replacement on ebay.
Is the parent lights unit a BSI or is there something in between?
What about Headlamp Control Module (HCM)? Can it helps?

Last edited by STICKLER; 06-01-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 12:19 PM

You might be on your own on this.. it might be easier if you search for other jlr models for information rather than the f type.

Old 06-01-2024, 12:20 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I think here's a difference between "cornering lights" and the lights that track steering movement. Cornering lights illuminate on the appropriate side when you steer to left or right. That's not the same as the headlight aim swivelling when you steer round bends (and it's a very noticeable effect if you drive a bendy road in the dark - at least that was the case in my previous XKR which had both options). I don't have either option on my F-Type, and I don't miss them.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (06-02-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 12:56 PM

I’m quite familiar with the moving lamps, had them on other cars, including my late Mazda 3, very obvious if they were there or not.

But for the life of me, i can’t recall or 100% sure if my current 2015 R, and my previous 2015 R, had them. The mechanism is present in the assembly, and since the f type do not have a front fog lamp, it’s most definitely not the “turn on fog lamp when cornering” thing i had on my 2014 3 series.

And I’ve always been under the impression that the R almost always(i know there are a very small amount of outliers) came loaded from the factory, the only things to look out for are extended leather and carbon ceramic brake (at least for the 2015).

Old 06-01-2024, 01:37 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
But for the life of me, i can’t recall or 100% sure if my current 2015 R, and my previous 2015 R, had them. The mechanism is present in the assembly, and since the f type do not have a front fog lamp, it’s most definitely not the “turn on fog lamp when cornering” thing i had on my 2014 3 series.
No, Jaguar does things "properly" - the cornering lights in my XKR were built into the headlamp assembly so you didn't look like an idiot with only one fog light working when you turned a corner, like drivers of lesser vehicles. If F-Types have cornering lights I have no reason to doubt they'd do them properly again.

Old 06-01-2024, 01:48 PM

This is what i figured judging by the wordings they chose on the window sticker, we need more people chiming on the swirling and self leveling part, I’m not in a good position to drop concrete statements due to the wrong bulbs on the car, wether they affect the other functions is good to know but moot for this discussion.

in a side note, i see nothing in the screen menu/dash menu regarding the swirling/self leveling, only ahb(automatic high beam) and driving side switch(left s right hand drive), this is true for both my 2015 Rs.

autobytel used to have a really good past car builder, was really accurate down to specific options and exclusions, i can still find the page but looks like it’s down and not accessible from their main site.

Old 06-02-2024, 01:05 AM

Can someone please tell me where to find the HCM unit (5DF00904112AA) in the car? I'll start by replacing this one first.

Old 06-02-2024, 05:07 AM

Have you thought of asking dealer/someone with appropriate scan tool to give it a good diagnosis first?

I’m concerned you might be spending undue time and effort replacing parts that might not be bad!

Old 06-02-2024, 06:05 AM

Unfortunately it's not that easy here. No one in the area (if anyone in the Czech Republic at all) can diagnose and program Jaguars. The JLR dealership in the last attempt completely incompetently spent the whole day on the car and they found nothing.. Because I first expected a problem in the headlights themselves (not that it couldn't be there, but it doesn't look like it), they are disassembled and until I put them back, they are not usable. So now the car is actually undriveable and I can't get anywhere.
However, the question in general is whether the diagnostics would show anything if I have no error message..

Old 06-03-2024, 08:35 PM

New bulbs arrived and installed, working perfectly but no swirling or up and down movement on ignition.

i checked the swirling mechanism while in there and all felt smooth, tried to center then the best i could before putting it back into the car.

Up and down movement were also checked, did not move with light pressure, did not want to break anything so didn’t press on.

Never needed the function but it does baffle me why it’s not working, not 100% sure but it did not work before the bulb change either.

hmmmmmmmm

edit: i do have the intricate links for manually adjusting the headlight angle, does this mean the car does not have self leveling, is self leveling the same thing as headlight moving up and down?

edit 2: i figured it out, i do have cornering light, but it’s not much more sophisticated than my 3 series’ “cornering fog light” @scm notice the suddenly appeared/widened light projection to the left? That happens when i turn the steering wheel past the center, happens to both sides.

The lens does not ever move when this happens, despite being able to turn it by hand inside the headlamp assembly.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ctFHOZvv6Ww?si=aM_0vJNDXe_eLcbQ

edit 3: annnnnnnnnnd my memory is not wrong, vision pack 3 includes adaptive front light and corner lamp which is supposed to swirl, screenshot taken from users manual and option list from cars.com

Why are they not swirling???

Last edited by Ray Ray; 06-03-2024 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 02:38 AM

Well, that's strange, because at least they should be able to swirling down - up, even if you didn't have the AFS function. We seem to have a similar problem. It's just that it growls to me and it makes some movement, even if it's incorrect..

You should always see that swirling down - up after turning on the ignition or starting the engine in poor lighting conditions, when the lights come on. The car does not even have to be fully asleep, it only takes about 40 seconds from the last moment the lights go out for the lens to move again after the ignition is turned on, or the engine is started.

Quick Reply: Malfunctioning leveling of the headlights