Sponsored by:

Malfunctioning leveling of the headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 10:37 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
edit 2: i figured it out, i do have cornering light, but it’s not much more sophisticated than my 3 series’ “cornering fog light” @scm notice the suddenly appeared/widened light projection to the left? That happens when i turn the steering wheel past the center, happens to both sides.
Yep, that's how it worked on my XKR. Much more subtle than the VW "fog light not working on both sides" approach.

Old 06-04-2024, 06:32 PM
Received 174 Likes on 111 Posts

Good to know that’s how it works and it’s working!

Now to figure out why mine aren’t moving up and down on ignition, i tried manually adjusting them.

Up and down works perfectly in this case, the lenses moves physically and skip a teeth at the end of travel. Both of them were at the lower end of the spectrum.

Weird thing happens with the horizontal adjustment, nothing moves, and it does not ever stop turning in either direction, the resistance is there so i don’t think it is disconnected or broken, light projection does not seem to move at all either.

More tests will be conducted..

Old 06-12-2024, 11:41 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

After having found a deer on the front end of my previous F-Type S (2015, RWD coupe) the body shop replaced the entire left headlamp (along with most of the nose). Upon getting the car I noticed that neither headlamp would raise. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the body shop had installed a new headlamp that had a cornering light whereas the car did not come from the factory equipped with that feature. Once the correct non-cornering headlamp was installed both headlamps functioned as they should. Although you may not be replacing an entire headlamp assembly I've learned that seemingly unrelated changes to any of the 3 F-Types my wife and I have owned have affected other features.

Old 06-13-2024, 05:41 PM
Received 174 Likes on 111 Posts

Yeah there are some seemingly unconnected features affecting each other i have found over the years, like unplugged mirrors triggering a CEL and unplugged AC control disables console volume knob.

What’s funny though is i have read somewhere unplugging the front parking sensors disables the whole system, but it does not in my case.

Back on topic, adjusting the headlight manually did jack ****, it might have gotten a little bit wider but it definitely did not get higher(despite visually seeing the lenses moving up and reach the maxing height, there’s a little notch on the bottom visible at this position), and still no up and down in start up.

But the light is performing well as is so I’m not too concerned, more curious than anything.