Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual rev matching?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ghatter
EDIT: And yes, BMW uses that CDV, the idea being to prevent a driver from "shocking" the transmission if they drop the clutch at stupidly high RPMs. It takes some getting used to. Or some removal and replacement with a valve that's been drilled out.
Hmm... On the E46 the valve just unscrews from between the hose and the pipe to the slave cylinder. Things may have changed in later models, but anyone selling modified valves for an E46 is taking the Mickey.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by ghatter
Are you certain about that? From what I've read the upshift time in the ZF 8 speed that the F-Type uses is about 200 milliseconds. BMW's DCT has a shift time of about 60 milliseconds, since one clutch is already engaging the next gear before the current gear is disengaged. The torque convertor continuing to transfer torque doesn't really factor in as far as how long it takes to change from one gear to another.

Of course this is just what I've read online. I don't claim to be some kind of transmission engineer.
I'm not a transmission engineer either and can only go by what I've read. I cannot substantiate the credentials of those particular authors.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Hmm... On the E46 the valve just unscrews from between the hose and the pipe to the slave cylinder. Things may have changed in later models, but anyone selling modified valves for an E46 is taking the Mickey.
I was hoping our solution would be as simple as that on the E46. Unfortunately, even BMW updated to a CDV that was integrated into either the master or the slave. In our case it was integrated into the bleeder housing which may require transmission removal to replace. I'm hoping the bleeder/TPL can be modified without removing.