F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual shift delay

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020 | 08:40 PM
|
Default Manual shift delay

Does the 2016 model with manual transmission have a clutch delay valve ?

Old 06-24-2020 | 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Blue-F
Does the 2016 model with manual transmission have a clutch delay valve ?
Yes, but that’s just to prevent driveline shock if your foot slips off the clutch pedal. If you are sensing a delay, it’s due to a bad clutch.

Old 06-24-2020 | 09:05 PM
|

Since posting I found your procedure to drill out the valve in the slave cylinder. The steps are very well documented. But before I try them out have you had any issues since, has a supplier created a replacement?

Old 06-24-2020 | 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Since posting I found your procedure to drill out the valve in the slave cylinder. The steps are very well documented. But before I try them out have you had any issues since, has a supplier created a replacement?
Drilling out the valve really did nothing for the slow hookup shifting from 1st into 2nd. The issue turned out to be a bad clutch design. During the 3.5 years of MT production, Jaguar issued 4 generations of clutches and 2 generations of flywheels. I now have a gen 4 clutch, gen 2 flywheel and a fully functioning clutch delay valve. It all works like a charm.

Old 06-24-2020 | 09:27 PM
|

I have the clutch that came with the 2016 base model.

Did you have an independent shop do the work or a dealership in Maryland ?

Old 06-24-2020 | 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

I have the clutch that came with the 2016 base model.

Did you have an independent shop do the work or a dealership in Maryland ?
The first 2 clutch replacements were done under warranty by the dealer. The 3rd and final replacement was not under warranty but the dealer took pity, gave me a sweetheart discount on the labor and allowed me to supply the parts which I got heavily discounted online. Next time I would use my high performance guy that I have been working with for a couple decades: RPR Automotive in Brooklyn Park, MD: http://rprautomotive.com/ He charges less than dealer rates for labor and encourages you to supply the parts.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-24-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2020 | 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

I can 100% confirm that delay OP feeling is slipping clutch. I am surprised an original first gen clutch made it to 2020. The car must have been only driven to bingo by the original owner.

Old 07-14-2020 | 12:34 AM

I'm getting more used to my '16 V6S and I'm feeling that the 6MT is a bit finicky to nail down. Driving around town and letting the upshift rev-matching work is perfectly smooth, but if I really quick shift the gears I can hear the clutch slipping. It's almost as if the revs don't drop fast enough before I engage the next gear, so there is some disparity between where the RPMs should be and where they currently are, leading to this slippage.

I am by no means an expert manual driver, but my E46 never felt this way. The flywheel would spool down predictably and it seemed to be perfectly happy quick shifting through the gears at any RPM. Perhaps it was the throttle cable difference.

Is this what you guys are talking about with the pre-4th gen clutch?

Old 07-14-2020 | 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Flywheel is too heavy on this car, if you don't rev match or bang shift it (don't recommend, gearbox won't take it for long) then you can feel a bit of residual lurch. You need to be a really fast shifter to experience this. However, 9 out of 10 cases when people complain about shifting it is clutch slipping.

Old 07-14-2020 | 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
I'm getting more used to my '16 V6S and I'm feeling that the 6MT is a bit finicky to nail down. Driving around town and letting the upshift rev-matching work is perfectly smooth, but if I really quick shift the gears I can hear the clutch slipping. It's almost as if the revs don't drop fast enough before I engage the next gear, so there is some disparity between where the RPMs should be and where they currently are, leading to this slippage.

I am by no means an expert manual driver, but my E46 never felt this way. The flywheel would spool down predictably and it seemed to be perfectly happy quick shifting through the gears at any RPM. Perhaps it was the throttle cable difference.

Is this what you guys are talking about with the pre-4th gen clutch?
Yes, Indeed! Under that circumstance, if you keep your foot on the throttle and the Foot off the clutch pedal the clutch will continue to slip and smoke. Only resolution is to replace the clutch with the gen 4 clutch.

The following users liked this post:
slipstream (07-16-2020)
Old 07-14-2020 | 02:32 PM
|

Well the fact Jaguar is on its 4th generation of the clutch and 2nd for the flywheel says a lot.
Its gotten to the point that I prefer to shift with the rain/snow software turned on.

It goes off warranty in Sept. if it doesn’t become a hazard I don’t see a dealership jumping in. I understand the position they are in.

When it goes I will have a clutch built for the engine out of a shop in CA that does it for a business and match to the latest factory flywheel.

Got to wonder who in jaguar was running the drivetrain design/specs. Seems whoever it was too young to experience driving a car with a clutch or failed the required course in differential calculus.

My 2016 has 18,000 miles.

Old 07-14-2020 | 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Well the fact Jaguar is on its 4th generation of the clutch and 2nd for the flywheel says a lot.
Its gotten to the point that I prefer to shift with the rain/snow software turned on.

It goes off warranty in Sept. if it doesn’t become a hazard I don’t see a dealership jumping in. I understand the position they are in.

When it goes I will have a clutch built for the engine out of a shop in CA that does it for a business and match to the latest factory flywheel.

Got to wonder who in jaguar was running the drivetrain design/specs. Seems whoever it was too young to experience driving a car with a clutch or failed the required course in differential calculus.

My 2016 has 18,000 miles.
I have a 500 lb-ft clutch built by Spec ready to go in when the gen 4 clutch fails. That clutch will fit the OEM clutch or the Single mass lightened flywheel they also built for me. I’m not certain if I will install that, though. Launching properly might be a bit trickier.

Old 07-14-2020 | 07:41 PM
|

Thought the OEM is an articulating flywheel. If so going to a single mass will present issues.

Do you like the gen 2 flywheel ? Is it lighter than the 1st gen ?

Old 07-14-2020 | 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Thought the OEM is an articulating flywheel. If so going to a single mass will present issues.

Do you like the gen 2 flywheel ? Is it lighter than the 1st gen ?
The OEM flywheel is indeed dual-mass. Going to a solid flywheel is only an issue for inexperienced clutch users. Anything other than smooth release of the clutch pedal from a dead stop will stall the engine.
The gen 1 and gen 2 flywheels look identical, and though I didn’t weigh them, they seemed to weigh roughly the same.

Old 07-18-2020 | 11:28 PM

Thank you for the feedback, it is definitely a goal of mine to get the 4th gen clutch in the future.

I know speaking of Corvettes here is one thing, but I have to say I considered buying a used 7MT Carrera as well but ultimately went with the F Type.. I wouldn't think the Porsche box would have any engineering shortfalls.

I can't say anything though, I knew this coming in. A price to pay for this car's beauty I guess! I'm still happy with my choice.