F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual take rate as low as 3% for F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -krikke-
I am afraid not. Also here in EU I am 99.9% sure that the F Type is far more sold with AT than MT.

On the biggest German website of new and second hand cars the following is listed for sale: (My search criteria: F Type S coupe model age 2015/2016)

-cars for sale with AT= +-250pcs
-cars for sale with MT= +-3pcs

I think that says it all. I simply think that the type of F buyer isn't into MT... MT's are a dying breed even for brands like Porsche... MUCH more sales in AT's...

So I don't think having a MT will be better for it's resale value... there simply isn't enough interest in MT's. Maybe if you sell the car in 25 years you will get a little better price compared to AT but I am not buying for collection purpose.
Hello fellow Euro

You are indeed correct. Manual take rates may be low in the US, but they are certainly much, much higher than over here. Even for 911s the rate is now below 4%. Try to find a 991.2 in manual, I dare you. I would have gotten my R as a manual if it had been available, but, alas, it was not to be - it's my only "problem" with the car. Though I'm not knocking it in the least, a V6 was never in the cards for me as it would not have been any faster than my old 997 and I really wanted more grunt.

Back to the discussion at hand: in the long run, or even in the medium term, the manual is going to be worth a lot more. Firstly due to rarity and secondly because these cars are becoming more affordable to enthusiasts. Most people buying these cars new are not like us - many are not buying for the driving experience. Look at 991.1s now - manuals are already highly sought after on the used market. Early Carrera S are now in the 75k to 85k (same as a used F-Type R, I might add) range with the manual usually demanding a higher price already! The more a car moves into enthusiast territory through depreciation, the higher the demand for manual transmissions.

That being said, all "really long term" discussions are quite pointless anyhow. In 25 years, I'm not even sure we'll be allowed to drive ourselves anymore.

Last edited by freeman2344; 12-05-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:32 PM

Yes Freeman I think we are on the same page.

Last weekend I was at a Porsche dealer and there where 5pcs 991's ready to be delivered... guess what? Zero MT... all PDK...

The Porsche models for the true sportscar enthousiast (GT4/GT3 and GT3 RS) are the only ones who will benefit (€) on short term from the 'rare' MT choice.

That being said I don't think that the F Type will fully benefit if you take a 'rare' MT example now. Simply because it isn't a limited production car. Sure in x years (long term) your manual F Type might be a few percent better value than it's AT equivalent but not like some Porsches where I would buy one just to invest or speculate on major price raises. (+20% on retail within max 3 years after purchase).

Last edited by -krikke-; 12-05-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Also, I can't imagine that I would ever part with this vehicle, but if this manual is very rare in the US, would that increase it's value in the long run for collectors, etc?
I would guess not. By the time we are ready to sell, nobody will be left who knows how to drive one.

BTW, the only reason I am sort of obsessed with conversation about the MT is this simple fact:

As much as I think the F-Type is the most beautiful car in the world, I wouldn't be driving one if it was an automatic. Not even a question. I wonder what I would have ended up in?
+1. I probably would have settled on a soulless Cayman GTS.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:42 PM

Yes Freeman I think we are on the same page.

Last weekend I was at a Porsche dealer and there where 5pcs 991's ready to be delivered... guess what? Zero MT... all PDK...

The Porsche models for the true sportscar enthousiast (GT4/GT3 and GT3 RS) are the only ones who will benefit (€) on short term from the 'rare' MT choice.

That being said I don't think that the F Type will fully benefit if you take a 'rare' MT example now. Simply because it isn't a limited production car. Sure in x years (long term) your manual F Type might be a few percent better value than it's AT equivalent but not like some Porsches where I would buy one just to invest or speculate on major price raises. (+20% on retail within max 3 years after purchase).
Oh yeah, for sure. Limiting production has its pros and cons though. I would have loved a 911R - heck, I would have been happy with a GT4, but couldn't get an allocation. Their loss.

I had my 997 for 3 years and got to drive a lot of courtesy cars (my 997 was in the shop all the time, part of the reason I'm here now ) - everything from the lowest 981.1 Boxster to 991.1 C4S and not ONCE did I get a manual. I never even SAW one at my OPC. In fact, before I bought the F-Type I was toying with the idea of placing an order for a 991.2 and the Porsche sales guy very actively tried to talk me out of ordering the manual. It seems to me that Porsche would love to do away with manuals in the lesser models - if only to put out more "special collector's cars", which then get the manuals. Things will get interesting if the new GT3 actually gets a manual again next year.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I probably would have settled on a soulless Cayman GTS.
I hope you mean soulless design?

As for precision and handling the Cayman GTS is the reference in it's class. Not to mention the GT4 who is playing in a whole other league. (I am talking about track driving/handling/brakes/suspension/feedback) not boulevard driving...
​​​

Old 12-05-2016, 06:53 PM

Freeman,

True fact that Porsche stimulates selling PDK's on their normal models!

You can be rest assured that the next GT3 will be available again in manual.

I got lucky and got a GT4 CS... quickly sold it after prices where going thru the roof...
​​

Old 12-05-2016, 06:54 PM

Freeman,

True fact that Porsche stimulates selling PDK's on their normal models!

You can be rest assured that the next GT3 will be available again in manual.

I got lucky and got a GT4 CS... quickly sold it after prices where going to the roof...
​​
Smart move

Old 12-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

I hope you mean soulless design?

As for precision and handling the Cayman GTS is the reference in it's class. Not to mention the GT4 who is playing in a whole other league. (I am talking about track driving/handling/brakes/suspension/feedback) not boulevard driving...
​​​
No...I pretty much meant the whole package. Perfection has no soul. A car has to have idiosyncrasies and shortcomings that the driver learns to overcome to become one with the car. With that in mind (at least mine), the F-Type is a better track car...just not as fast.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

The F-Type is a better track car...just not as fast.
F-type is ***** out fun on the track, and while 911 and C7 are faster and more agile, they are not out of range where skill could make up for it.

Please make sure to show support if ever my spouse comes to post here that I died in a wreck on a track. But at least I will die still grinning.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by enfield
I would not buy a manual unless it came with a V8 RWD version.
this.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:40 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I am considering a vantage gt w/ 6 speed. not as stout as the f-type but lovely to look at and engaging to drive.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:32 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I drive a 67 Fastback with a 5 speed; my first manual car. I had 3 previous first generation Mustangs before this that all had a C4 automatic. My God is manual so much better; much more engaging and fun - even if it is slower.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul-7
I drive a 67 Fastback with a 5 speed; my first manual car. I had 3 previous first generation Mustangs before this that all had a C4 automatic. My God is manual so much better; much more engaging and fun - even if it is slower.
Not getting into the manual vs. auto debate as it's personal preference but it's not surprising that you like an aftermarket 5spd better than an old C4 3spd auto.....the ZF 8spd we have in the F type is completely different than that old slushbox.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 12-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Not getting into the manual vs. auto debate as it's personal preference but it's not surprising that you like an aftermarket 5spd better than an old C4 3spd auto.....the ZF 8spd we have in the F type is completely different than that old slushbox.

2 cents,
Dave
Never compared the two; obviously a DCT automatic cannot be compared to a C4 created 50 years prior.

I was referring to how much more engaging a manual car is compared to an automatic.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Raul-7
Never compared the two; obviously a DCT automatic cannot be compared to a C4 created 50 years prior.

I was referring to how much more engaging a manual car is compared to an automatic.
....and all I'm saying is that it depends on the automatic in question. ;-)

Cheers,
Dave

Old 12-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
....and all I'm saying is that it depends on the automatic in question. ;-)

Cheers,
Dave
As you mentioned earlier, it's all a matter of personal taste. As good as the ZF 8HP tranny is, I don't find it anywhere as engaging as a pedestrian 6 sp manual. I truly tried to love it so I could buy the V8, but after substantial test driving, I just couldn't catch the fever.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

As you mentioned earlier, it's all a matter of personal taste. As good as the ZF 8HP tranny is, I don't find it anywhere as engaging as a pedestrian 6 sp manual. I truly tried to love it so I could buy the V8, but after substantial test driving, I just couldn't catch the fever.
Absolutely.....and also as I said earlier, I'm not anti-manual; my DD is a manual and I've owned dozens of them. That said I'm happy with my ZF in the F type; the paddles make it fun for me. I find I often go back and forth whenever I get something new.....I was actually happy that the V8 Ftype only came auto as I didn't need to second guess my decision to go auto this time around.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 12-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Hell... this is the first article I've seen where someone hates on the 6cyl manual vs the 8cyl AT. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/how...e-epic-v8-awd/

Yeah.. personal preference, and there's no reason to fight about MT vs AT. It's all the same avenues to joy.

I do remember some negative press with early production models for reviewers.... our volvo parts did not impress in the early rounds of bloggers and mags reporting on it. Once that was changed and fixed, the later reports didn't get in front of the press well enough to impact previous perception?

Old 12-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

there's no reason to fight about MT vs AT.
Tribalism is in human nature, so when those dirty AT peasants trespass on my pristine in-group F-turf, the only possible response is unchecked and disproportional escalation.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hell... this is the first article I've seen where someone hates on the 6cyl manual vs the 8cyl AT. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/how...e-epic-v8-awd/

Yeah.. personal preference, and there's no reason to fight about MT vs AT. It's all the same avenues to joy.

I do remember some negative press with early production models for reviewers.... our volvo parts did not impress in the early rounds of bloggers and mags reporting on it. Once that was changed and fixed, the later reports didn't get in front of the press well enough to impact previous perception?
As you well know, the first rendering of the F-Type MT was indeed extremely disappointing for many of us. This article was written before the clutch problem was addressed. Now the only way to make the MT more perfect would be a short-shifter (and maybe a 7 speed).