F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual V6S vs. R AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual V6S vs. R AWD

Hi all - I'm buying an F-Type and I've found two vehicles and am completely torn. I have a $42k Manual S and a $52k R. Both are the same years and similar miles. Also have similar options.

I would love to own a manual and they're hard to find; but I also really like the R and all its craziness.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-18-2021, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

I bought an R, but I was pulled heavily to the 6M. The only reason I went with the R over the 6M was I would deal with a bit of stop and go traffic on my way to work. With all this work from home these day, I've been craving a 6M.

Having said that, the ZF tranny in my R is phenomenal. It really comes down to ego. A 6M with the lower pully and a tune is something to consider...

The following users liked this post:
ferrral (03-19-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 01:47 PM
Received 402 Likes on 212 Posts

Really depends on your driving style. The clutch and manual setup on the manual F-TYPE does not encourage spirited driving. The throws are long and a bit sloppy. If I recall, Jaguar went through 3 or 4 clutch revisions due to the amount of complaints related to slipping and premature wear. Fun fact, the transmission is the same one used in the BMW 1M and the earlier clutches were made by Volvo.

One of the member here, Unhinged, is our resident F-TYPE manual guru though. I'm sure he'll chime in.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I bought an R, but I was pulled heavily to the 6M. The only reason I went with the R over the 6M was I would deal with a bit of stop and go traffic on my way to work. With all this work from home these day, I've been craving a 6M.

Having said that, the ZF tranny in my R is phenomenal. It really comes down to ego. A 6M with the lower pully and a tune is something to consider...
Yeah, that would be the first thing I would do would be a tune and pully. This would be essentially a weekend car as I work from home and its a pandemic, so only driving for fun and not really "dailying it". I just don't want to regret not getting an R. Were you able to drive both?

Old 03-18-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Really depends on your driving style. The clutch and manual setup on the manual F-TYPE does not encourage spirited driving. The throws are long and a bit sloppy. If I recall, Jaguar went through 3 or 4 clutch revisions due to the amount of complaints related to slipping and premature wear. Fun fact, the transmission is the same one used in the BMW 1M and the earlier clutches were made by Volvo.

One of the member here, Unhinged, is our resident F-TYPE manual guru though. I'm sure he'll chime in.
Hmm, that kind of sucks. This would be a "fun" car so spirited driving would be likely. I've never owned a manual, albeit able to drive one. It also seems that they're kind of difficult to find so I'm wondering if they might even appreciate. Thanks for the post.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sought out a manual because I wanted to move a shifter around and have 3 pedals of fun. I also happen to think the V6 sounds better than the V8 but I realize lots will call me crazy for that. On top of those reasons the V6S being cheaper AND 380hp being to me just an absolutely insane amount of power, I'm happy.

Now I was also coming from a ~150hp Impreza so if you are used to driving with higher powered vehicles then maybe you need that V8 in your life.

Uncle Fishbits (03-25-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

The Gen1 clutches have pretty much all exploded by now. The latest is holding up well. Feeling is a little vague compared to some I've driven but given the safety features to protect the driveline, it's as expected.

The shifter throw is a bit long but Lance (Unhingd) has a solution for that. I've got the first version of that but the manufacturer discontinued them. The later version involves modifying the stock shifter. He has a local machine shop that does it, and I expect has a spare OEM shifter to modify (I sent him my original, but that's surely in someone's car by now) to avoid having a car off the road.

The tune and pulley combination definitely gives more power, and I'm quite pleased I did it. I did the tune at 10K miles, the pulley 32K miles after that.

Is it better or worse for spirited driving? Depends on where your spirit takes you. As Vik notes, the ZF8 is very, very good, and even with a V6 it would be faster than the 6MT. I can't shift anywhere near that fast. If you're a stoplight drag kind of person, the R is a better choice. For the twisty country roads I like best, I'm glad I got the 6MT. I'm not racing, and it adds to the fun.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by HalfCornish
I sought out a manual because I wanted to move a shifter around and have 3 pedals of fun. I also happen to think the V6 sounds better than the V8 but I realize lots will call me crazy for that. On top of those reasons the V6S being cheaper AND 380hp being to me just an absolutely insane amount of power, I'm happy.

Now I was also coming from a ~150hp Impreza so if you are used to driving with higher powered vehicles then maybe you need that V8 in your life.
Thanks for your post. I'm coming from an F-Pace S; so about 5 second 0 to 60; same engine as the F-Type S.

I want something flashy, fast, and fun. Just not sure if I need the V8 or if the manual would be more fun.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The Gen1 clutches have pretty much all exploded by now. The latest is holding up well. Feeling is a little vague compared to some I've driven but given the safety features to protect the driveline, it's as expected.

The shifter throw is a bit long but Lance (Unhingd) has a solution for that. I've got the first version of that but the manufacturer discontinued them. The later version involves modifying the stock shifter. He has a local machine shop that does it, and I expect has a spare OEM shifter to modify (I sent him my original, but that's surely in someone's car by now) to avoid having a car off the road.

The tune and pulley combination definitely gives more power, and I'm quite pleased I did it. I did the tune at 10K miles, the pulley 32K miles after that.

Is it better or worse for spirited driving? Depends on where your spirit takes you. As Vik notes, the ZF8 is very, very good, and even with a V6 it would be faster than the 6MT. I can't shift anywhere near that fast. If you're a stoplight drag kind of person, the R is a better choice. For the twisty country roads I like best, I'm glad I got the 6MT. I'm not racing, and it adds to the fun.
How hard was the tune process and did you ever drive the R and can compare to your tuned S?

Thanks for your post.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by rikishi62
Yeah, that would be the first thing I would do would be a tune and pully. This would be essentially a weekend car as I work from home and its a pandemic, so only driving for fun and not really "dailying it". I just don't want to regret not getting an R. Were you able to drive both?
I drove them both. I had just finished driving the S when I heard someone start an R (the one I bought). I was sold in less than a minute. I am an idiot, though. Going through past cars, I've had a ton of V8, pointless cars. An Audi S5 (6M), a GTO, a 928 S4 (5M), a 77 Firebird and even a Cutlass. I've also had a number of V8 trucks (F-250, F-350, 2x Chevy 3500s).

Old 03-18-2021, 03:08 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I want something flashy, fast, and fun. Just not sure if I need the V8 ...
Nobody needs the V8. Wants, however, are a very different matter ...

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
JgaXkr (03-20-2021), mbelanger (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

How hard was the tune process and did you ever drive the R and can compare to your tuned S?

Thanks for your post.
I drove most available variants before ordering my 6MT, but not any AWD. One of my reasons for the 6MT is that it's lighter, especially in the nose. It's still not light, but even the RWD Auto V6 vs. V8 I could feel the extra weight up front. The AWD adds even more, and if memory serves, raises the engine by half an inch. I deliberately chose my test drive route to include a few lively side to side transitions to help pick out the differences.

That said, the V8 power is intoxicating. If I didn't have an abundance of backroads at my disposal, I might have chosen differently. These questions often elicit at least one response of "if you don't get the V8, you'll regret it later."

EDIT: Forgot to answer the other question. Tune only was easy. Buy it and when the handheld device shows up, extract the stock file, email it to VAP and wait for the modified one. Load that in and off you go. There are a few things to watch out for, e.g. battery voltage, but easily manageable. Adding the pulley is also straightforward, more so if you have a lift. I don't, so did mine on ramps. Call it a Saturday morning if you've got the right tools and know how to use them.

Last edited by lizzardo; 03-18-2021 at 03:16 PM.
ferrral (03-19-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 03:22 PM
scm
Veteran Member

... AWD adds even more, and if memory serves, raises the engine by half an inch..
Memory does serve - that's why AWD cars have a different bonnet/hood design than the RWDs - RWD has the vents close together near the windscreen/shield while the AWD has them further apart and more towards the front.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Nobody needs the V8. Wants, however, are a very different matter ...
Hence my problem!!

And the 17k difference in price. But I'd rather pay more than live with regret.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:38 PM

I drove most available variants before ordering my 6MT, but not any AWD. One of my reasons for the 6MT is that it's lighter, especially in the nose. It's still not light, but even the RWD Auto V6 vs. V8 I could feel the extra weight up front. The AWD adds even more, and if memory serves, raises the engine by half an inch. I deliberately chose my test drive route to include a few lively side to side transitions to help pick out the differences.

That said, the V8 power is intoxicating. If I didn't have an abundance of backroads at my disposal, I might have chosen differently. These questions often elicit at least one response of "if you don't get the V8, you'll regret it later."

EDIT: Forgot to answer the other question. Tune only was easy. Buy it and when the handheld device shows up, extract the stock file, email it to VAP and wait for the modified one. Load that in and off you go. There are a few things to watch out for, e.g. battery voltage, but easily manageable. Adding the pulley is also straightforward, more so if you have a lift. I don't, so did mine on ramps. Call it a Saturday morning if you've got the right tools and know how to use them.
Thanks for the info. I'm in middle of Ohio so a lot of backroads but not necessarily twisty ones. I did drive an auto S and an R and the lightness was definitely prevalent. I did like how solid the R felt. I think between auto S and R the question is super easy; but I'm curious if I'd enjoy driving a manual more than driving a V8? And the one I'm looking to purchase is in NY so I likely wouldn't be able to test-drive before purchase....

Old 03-18-2021, 03:44 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Hence my problem!!

And the 17k difference in price. But I'd rather pay more than live with regret.
Just answer the question: which will you miss more - 2 cylinders or the stickshift?

Luc Lapierre (03-21-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Just answer the question: which will you miss more - 2 cylinders or the stickshift?
LOL. I DON'T KNOW. And it appears that people with the manual LOVE it and the people with the V8 LOVE it. I really wish I could drive both right after each other.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:54 PM
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Hmm, that kind of sucks. This would be a "fun" car so spirited driving would be likely. I've never owned a manual, albeit able to drive one. It also seems that they're kind of difficult to find so I'm wondering if they might even appreciate. Thanks for the post.
This really does go to everyone's personal preferences. Having driven British sportscars my entire adult life I test drove an F Type automatic and thought, geez, I can't drive one of these around by just stomping on the accelerator. Regarding the gearbox, the throw on the gears as equipped is a bit long but I wouldn't call it sloppy. With a short shifter installed it is a top-notch gearbox to the point that my daughter's father-in-law who has owned several manual M4s (I believe with the same Z6 gearbox) told me upon driving my car that it was a lot more fun than an M4. Additionally, everyone has their own definition of the exhilarating car experience, but mine has been on the track or getting on the expressway (safely) by coming out of a turn in 2nd at 20 mph and going to 70 mph to slam it into 3rd to got to about 100 - 110 mph while listening to that supercharger scream (this car makes a very satisfying all around sound while doing that).

Either way you go, you're going to be buying a great car. Good luck on the decision.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by rbsj
This really does go to everyone's personal preferences. Having driven British sportscars my entire adult life I test drove an F Type automatic and thought, geez, I can't drive one of these around by just stomping on the accelerator. Regarding the gearbox, the throw on the gears as equipped is a bit long but I wouldn't call it sloppy. With a short shifter installed it is a top-notch gearbox to the point that my daughter's father-in-law who has owned several manual M4s (I believe with the same Z6 gearbox) told me upon driving my car that it was a lot more fun than an M4. Additionally, everyone has their own definition of the exhilarating car experience, but mine has been on the track or getting on the expressway (safely) by coming out of a turn in 2nd at 20 mph and going to 70 mph to slam it into 3rd to got to about 100 - 110 mph while listening to that supercharger scream (this car makes a very satisfying all around sound while doing that).

Either way you go, you're going to be buying a great car. Good luck on the decision.
Thank you. That is good to know. How much did it cost to upgrade to the short shifter? And which kind did you get?

Old 03-18-2021, 03:58 PM
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by scm
I've got the two additional cylinders, they're just not hooked up to anything.

sov211 (03-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Manual V6S vs. R AWD