F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual V6S vs. R AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Gooday. Unfortunately I've never driven the manual but I have the pulley/tune in the 6 and it is fantastic, also the VAP quad exhaust (also fantastic, sounds epic). Personally I prefer the RWD cars to the AWD especially on the track (well I should say only on the track, I've never driven the R on the road though I had an XKR for a few years) and I also thought the 6 handled much better on the track than the RWD R. But everything about driving the F Type screams to me that it should be a manual. The auto is brilliant, but it is missing the further engagement of the shifter and clutch. And that's something you enjoy on the road, every day (unless you get stuck in traffic a lot in which case it is a curse).

In the end assuming you dont get stuck in traffic, thinking of costs to do everything, assuming (say) $10K for pulley, tune, and exhaust, I'd buy the manual 6 if it was $15K less than the R. If you like centre pipes then you wont want the quad exhaust and so the 6 $10K less than the R modded with pulley and tune will still be a big saving, some of which you could put into forged wheels and michelins which make an enormous difference to handling - like night and day.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:52 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rikishi62
Thank you. That is good to know. How much did it cost to upgrade to the short shifter? And which kind did you get?
Got mine from Unhinged who had them fabricated himself. At least two of us (I think Uncle Fishbits was the other) sent Unhinged our original shifter so more could be fabricated. Unhinged will need to weigh in on availability, but in my opinion its a no-brainer if available.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Interestingly, manual F-types already appreciating where I live. In 500 km search radius on autotrader there is only 1 manual and it is 10K asking over automatics.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If you are going to tune for power, manual is not the way to go unless you *know* how to drive. This is because drivetrain isn't adequately dampened, after you dump a clutch few times on your tuned car you will be shopping for new differential and transmission.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:37 AM
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Honestly, I love my 6MT. Power is power and I could get it in many cars. But in my opinion the combination of character and flair that makes the F-Type unique is only amplified by the manual transmission. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Mine is tuned, but like said above I am somewhat careful with it. The dealership tech even warned me, lol. I am not interested in launching the car hard or doing burnouts etc, I have my beater E46 for that

Old 03-20-2021, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Just my opinion, I don't think the F-Type is the car you want if you want a manual. Some people have few issues with the manuals, most have a lot of issues. IMO, I would look at if you want the V6S or V8 automagic.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:53 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You can only know by driving both and seeing which you like better.
Perhaps another way to look at it is to imagine you have your F type and meet someone with theirs. If one is a MT V6 and the other a V8, would you be envious or cont​​​​​ent if you were in one and the other driver was in the other.
Personally, I am happy with my MT V6S and when I eventually swap it out, it will be for either another manual transmission car or an electric vehicle (if an interesting enough one comes along) but that is my personal preference.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:31 PM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

... so many cars
... so little time.

Drive 'em both and see which one resonates with you.
(but the 6MT may disappear off the market before you decide)

Note: I am chatting with Unhingd about light weight flywheels and Stage 2 clutches from SPEC which should give the 6MT even more bite and response.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:34 PM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

wait a tic... Can the 6MT be swapped into a V8 Car? (RWD)

How much does the automagic talk with the engine or body controller? can the automagic transmission controller be mimicked?
I suppose the pedal cluster, shifter bits, drive shaft, and possibly rear transmission mount need to be carried over.
I used to do Auto to Manual swaps on Volvo 740's... it was easy enough back then.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:44 AM
Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Go for what you truly enjoy the most.

Now that super-quick EVs are noticeably proliferating, the 0-60 pissing contest has become truly pointless - so never mind that aspect.

I tested a V6S manual, an AWD R, and then another V6S manual (the one I ultimately bought).

My personal impressions:

The AWD R is ferocious, violent, and pins you to your seat in a straight line. And sweet Jesus did I love the sound. Oh, that sound.
However, the extra weight was quite noticeable to me. As someone who derives most of his driving enjoyment from (the aspiration to) gracefully negotiate twisties and explore handling characteristics, this was a minus. Besides, I drive way too fast already. Do I really need to be tempted by the ability to get to jailable speeds that much easier? And of course, the lack of third pedal was a minus. I missed the extra engagement and skill factor that comes with an MT.

To me, the V6S sounded *good enough* (in my opinion it's the best-sounding car after the R), and it was *quick enough*. I don't care if I'm not the quickest car on the road, only if I'm quick enough to have fun.
For me, the pros were:
- I get to do my own shifting
- lighter, better handling
- RWD (see above)
These were enough to overcome the relative deficit of power and sound relative to the AWD R.

Since purchasing, I've installed the Unhingd short-shifter (had the honour of being the guinea pig for Version 2.0), and that increased my enjoyment substantially.
I also installed a throttle pedal attachment for super-easy heel-toe (just something I enjoy doing).

I waffle between "this is plenty of power, I don't think I'd ever need more", and "on second thought, I wouldn't mind a smidge more... just for fun".

So, I plan to join the pulley & tune club once my warranty's up later this year. It'll be my yearly present to myself.
I'm already deeply in love with my car, I can only imagine how hard it will be to not spend every waking second in the driver's seat once the pulley & tune are online.

The following users liked this post:
HermanWiegman (03-21-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by rikishi62
Hmm, that kind of sucks. This would be a "fun" car so spirited driving would be likely. I've never owned a manual, albeit able to drive one. It also seems that they're kind of difficult to find so I'm wondering if they might even appreciate. Thanks for the post.
Not to fear. All these issues are resolvable. The short-shifter will tighten up the throw giving it almost a gated shifter feel and the Gen 4 clutch that was finally issued cured the upshift slip. The 450hp stage 2 tune will almost make you forget the power you’re missing from the R since the V6 is a much lighter car.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-22-2021 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:46 PM

I seem to recall someone recently looking for a grey '16 F Type S with a 6-speed manual, 36K miles. If so, here you go:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=297717875

Old 03-25-2021, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Just posted the below in another thread. Get the manual unless the 8cyl is RWD. My 1 cent opinion. I'm not much of a "stuff" guy or materialist, and the manual is the greatest decision of my life, considering my wife was the one that decided on me. LOL But I was coming from something like 20yrs of 123hp in a 4cyl Wrangler hahaha. I would have killed myself with the 8.
-------

The take rate on manuals was <4%, so you've got a legend of a car there.

The GT3 take rate was 70%
https://www.thedrive.com/news/39478/...l-transmission

Maybe it was the goofy marketing Jag did?
https://www.autoguide.com/blog/wp-co...nual_Final.pdf
At the time I thought it was cute, but now I just realize their marketing department thought it wise to target people who had no idea what a MT was? sheesh

rbsj (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 01:38 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Just posted the below in another thread. Get the manual unless the 8cyl is RWD. My 1 cent opinion. I'm not much of a "stuff" guy or materialist, and the manual is the greatest decision of my life, considering my wife was the one that decided on me. LOL But I was coming from something like 20yrs of 123hp in a 4cyl Wrangler hahaha. I would have killed myself with the 8.
-------

The take rate on manuals was <4%, so you've got a legend of a car there.

The GT3 take rate was 70%
https://www.thedrive.com/news/39478/...l-transmission

Maybe it was the goofy marketing Jag did?
https://www.autoguide.com/blog/wp-co...nual_Final.pdf
At the time I thought it was cute, but now I just realize their marketing department thought it wise to target people who had no idea what a MT was? sheesh
That JLR marketing on the manual tranny is priceless, and now we know the whole story on what happened to some of those first generation clutches. Wink

HermanWiegman (03-28-2021)