F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manufacturer Buyback Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 03:57 AM
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Glad to know someone else had some good fortune with a buyback car! Hopefully it’ll prove to be a savvy purchase.
Ironically enough, even though I had JLR PPI it, after driving off the lot the rear right taillight got “stuck” with the brake lights on - not sure how they missed that…. Will be taking to my local(ish) dealer today to get that cleared up. Hopefully it’s an easy fix. That’s what warranties are for. The 300 mile drive back from Jersey was otherwise problem free so that instilled some confidence. Anyone else had this happen?

Old 05-11-2024, 04:09 AM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by CubFanMark
People are clearly more trusting than I am when it comes to this situation. While I love a deal, I would want to track down the owner who "returned" the car to get the story. Modest inconveniences would not seem to me to be a reason to demand a buyback. While it could well have been a case of buyer's remorse, I would want to know more before buying a car that will forever be impaired in value and that might have ongoing issues.
Depending who you talk to many will say that Jags are inherently impaired in value anyway, so there is that ;-0

Old 05-11-2024, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Atipical
The PPI came back clean, so I bought an extended warranty (4yr/60k miles) and pulled the trigger on the car. Pictures to follow.
Congrats, great choice on the colour. That’s one thing about the last year of this car that was a bit drab, choice for colours. I was considering a couple nice ones from the SVO palette originally, until I found out those colours were on constraint.

That gold is pretty awesome in my books (that picture doesn’t do it justice), likely pretty rare too I would think? Rare car, rare colour. Nice combination.

Old 05-11-2024, 04:32 AM

It’s absolutely a rare color! One of the reasons it grabbed my attention. Almost all the other used/CPO cars under $70k were red (which I hate), black, or white. I typically own blue or gray cars so this is a big step out of my comfort zone. I’ve yet to see it in the sunlight with this nasty weather so I’m excited to give it a wash later today and see it in its proper glory.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:12 AM

It’s absolutely a rare color! One of the reasons it grabbed my attention. Almost all the other used/CPO cars under $70k were red (which I hate), black, or white. I typically own blue or gray cars so this is a big step out of my comfort zone. I’ve yet to see it in the sunlight with this nasty weather so I’m excited to give it a wash later today and see it in its proper glory.
I’m all about the greys as well. I’m boring like that ;-o. I ended up going with the Eiger Grey, and then livened things up a bit with the Mars Red and Ebony interior.

Will be interesting to hear how this all works out for ya. Hopefully everything will be fine.

The following users liked this post:
Atipical (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 06:38 AM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Get a battery tender or charger and fully charge the battery. The car likely sat before you purchased it. Low battery voltage causes many issues with these cars. Have not heard of the tail light issue, but you never know. Also make sure that the warning triangle on the dash goes out ten minutes after the car is turned off. If it does not you need to disconnect the battery for a minute to reset the system. It is a known issue. If the triangle stays lit the battery is being drained.

Good luck with the car!

Old 05-11-2024, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

I would still like to understand whether the car came with the residual manufacturer warranty - what is the deal with a "repurchase" with 20K miles??

Old 05-11-2024, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
I would still like to understand whether the car came with the residual manufacturer warranty - what is the deal with a "repurchase" with 20K miles??
Yup the car has the remaining manufacturer warranty. All I could ascertain was that the customer was dissatisfied with the car but not due to a repeated singular issue. The spiel I got from the car dealer was that the guy had it on a lease and I guess after 2 years and 20k miles was unhappy with it so JLR bought it back at the early termination of said lease to maintain relationship with the customer. JLR inspected the car and found nothing was wrong with it so no further repairs were made. They send it to a Jag dealer in PA and all they ended up doing was replacing the wiper blades and changing the oil, then the place I bought it from acquired it at an auction. Quite an interesting story.

The most intrusive work I found that had been done on the car was a gauge cluster replacement.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:23 AM
Received 201 Likes on 126 Posts

JLR inspected the car and found nothing was wrong with it so no further repairs were made. They send it to a Jag dealer in PA and all they ended up doing was replacing the wiper blades and changing the oil, then the place I bought it from acquired it at an auction. Quite an interesting story.
I know you've got the new F type buzz going, but the honeymoon is not going to last forever. Best to do your homework and rule out potential issues.

Getting a clean bill of health from a JLR dealership in this circumstance would be like following up at the same hospital that amputated the wrong arm but said that it's healing up quite nicely.

Get everything in writing and hope for the best!

Atipical (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

I agree that it is a strange story but the OP does have the remainder of the JLR original bumper-to-bumper warranty, plus it sounds like he also duplicated that by buying a redundant aftermarket coverage.
My advice (FWIW) is to drive the crap out of it and be very aware of any even slight issues.
Find a local JLR dealer for the remaining free annual services (to year 5) and do not hesitate to take it in for any apparently minor issue.
Hard to see why a JLT dealer would put it out to auction. They are crying out to buy mine for resale.

Old 05-11-2024, 02:57 PM

I’m taking it to my dealer tomorrow for a look at the taillight, and I’ll also mention that there’s this faint high pitched squealing noise if I’m driving at speed with the window all the way down. It goes away if I close the window so I feel like that has something to do with it. Either way I’m about to go for a shakedown hoon now before it’s at the dealer for 2+ days. I definitely appreciate all of the advice from you guys thus far.

This car definitely has an interesting history, but I had a somewhat similar occurrence with my old Porsche 996. It had an undocumented engine replacement and I ended up getting a very solid deal on it (pre COVID before the market went insane). Put 40k miles on it with no issue and sold it for what I paid for it so I’m hoping for a similarly smooth ownership experience with this car. Especially since it has a bumper to bumper warranty. Fingers crossed!

Old 05-21-2024, 01:49 PM

Update (for those who care)! I received the "REACQUIRED VEHICLE RESALE DISCLOSURE AND WARRANTY NOTICE" from the dealer today as to what the official reason for the manufacturer buyback was....and it was the seatbelt buckle. I can't believe it was something so minuscule. The seat belt buckle was obviously replaced since so it looks like I actually lucked out and got a significantly discounted '21 R for a silly reason. I assume the prior owner used this as a reason to get out of the lease or something. The car apparently went in for service for the buckle twice, the second time due to a recall. I now have the utmost confidence in the car and know everything else is in perfect working order. A happy ending!

The following 2 users liked this post by Atipical:
sov211 (05-22-2024), Thunder Dump (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 03:23 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Go buy a lottery ticket!

Old 05-21-2024, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by cpq100
Go buy a lottery ticket!
I'd say not. The odds of winning twice....

The following 2 users liked this post by uncheel:
Atipical (05-21-2024), scm (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 04:30 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,477 Likes on 1,118 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
I'd say not. The odds of winning twice....
I've never understood why people think that having a massive amount of luck means you've got still more ..... Poor logic!

Old 05-22-2024, 06:12 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by CubFanMark
Anything is possible. However, would someone disllusioned enough to demand a buyback turn around and buy another more expensive car of the same make? The only way to know the answer is to talk to the original owner to get the full story.
yes, absolutely.

Old 05-22-2024, 06:20 AM

If anyone knows of an individual in or around Pasadena that drove around a sunset gold f type a couple of years ago then definitely let me know. I haven’t been able to find anything to nail the guy or gal down.

Old 05-22-2024, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Probably the son of the dealer.
Sounds like it was some sort of fraud.
Simply does not make sense in the real world (even in CA).
And, after a CA "buy-back" why would the car be for sale in NJ?
Having said all that I wish the new owner many miles of trouble free enjoyment.

Last edited by CJSJAG; 05-22-2024 at 07:03 AM.
Atipical (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

It could have been simply days down. The car will qualify for a buyback if they are unable to repair the vehicle in a timely manner. Some of these cars are the best deals to be had. The used to come with a warranty that mirrored CPO as well.