Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Map Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
I seriously haven't considered data for ten years. In fact I use my phone as a hotspot for my laptop when I travel when airports get so greedy they don't offer wifi.

If you shop around you can get a unlimited plan for $69.
Ten years ago I had unlimited data. Then all of the major carriers phased it out because they realized how much money they were leaving on the table with the advent of 4G.

I've tried switching a couple times but always go back to Verizon because their coverage is objectively better at home and when I travel.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It has Nav? I have yet to turn on the radio in the Jag - too happy listening to the burble, snap, crackle and pop.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Yeah and the traffic system is free on the Jag.
Only for the first 5 years. Then we have to ante up.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
I don't use Nav that often but when I do, I've found it to work fine. But I usually look at Mapquest before I go somewhere unknown. (I was brought up in the era when the NAV system was maps in the glove box.)
I must be older...I only had a theodolite. No Interstates, we had to blaze our own trails. (...and then there was that 10 mile walk to school...)

Old 06-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
I don't use Nav that often but when I do, I've found it to work fine. But I usually look at Mapquest before I go somewhere unknown. (I was brought up in the era when the NAV system was maps in the glove box.)
I don't often need to use NAV either because I generally know exactly where I'm going and how to get there. However, I use Waze all the time on my commutes to downtown Washington, DC because I don't want to be stuck in grid-locked traffic for an extra hour.

There are about 6 different routes I can take depending upon traffic conditions, and Waze usually sends me the fastest way based upon traffic. The car's nav system almost always tries to send me on the shortest route based upon no traffic, which is often the worst way to go during rush hours.

Like I said above, if you don't routinely drive in urban gridlock, you either don't need it or any old Nav system will do.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:42 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Only for the first 5 years. Then we have to ante up.
Where did you hear that?

Old 06-17-2016, 10:45 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I must be older...I only had a theodolite. No Interstates, we had to blaze our own trails. (...and then there was that 10 mile walk to school...)
You probably had to build survey towers too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...etrical_Survey

Old 06-17-2016, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
You probably had to build survey towers too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...etrical_Survey
Yes, sir...and the loin cloth kept getting in the way.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Where did you hear that?
I may be confusing it with the inControl Remote service, but I'll look into it.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

As far as I'm aware the traffic info in our cars is provided by RDS (Radio Data System), and should not incur any charges at any point in time.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
As far as I'm aware the traffic info in our cars is provided by RDS (Radio Data System), and should not incur any charges at any point in time.
This is my understanding as well. And the data it receives typically sucks.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
This is my understanding as well. And the data it receives typically sucks.
Actually, it's the data that it doesn't receive quickly that causes it to suck. :-)

Old 06-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I was on a one week trip throug parts of Germany (to Nurburgring) together with several Ferrari's (430, 488, 599), Porsches (GT3 RS, GT2, Turbo S), BMW M4 and Mercedes E AMG 63, and we had to manouver through some larger cities in high trafic to find the quickest way to the hotels.

We split up in small groups/singels as it was impossibel to stay together due to the trafic and many trafic lights. All of us had the hotel adress in our Satnav systems.

I always ended up first to the hotels, and the only one I can give that credit to is the F-types functional Satnav system. It has it's flaws, is a bit slow - but it worked better than the systems in any of the other sportcars.

I don't see how I can complain

Old 06-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 588 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Very helpful thanks. I did not know that and I've always hated buying the updates as a general rule. What is the best way to tell short of actually buying it?
I was tipped to this by my sister, who would dutifully update her Nav every year or two - but regularly disappointed that "new" things weren't getting into the new release. She poked at Lexus and found out that all updates don't update all.

When I last went through this with my Acura, their provider (Alpine) had the information on their website. I didn't see detail on the Jag link, but there was a FAQ link and a CONTACT US form for questions. I'd start with that.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Up hill both ways..I'm sure.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Bingo!

Old 06-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Don't forget barefoot in the snow, as well...

Old 06-17-2016, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think the main difference between Waze and car-installed, nav systems, that also have the capability of re-routing around traffic tie-ups, is that Waze has access to a lot more real-time information in heavily populated areas. For example, in the DC metro area there are always between 10-20K users driving w/ Waze running at any given time during prime daytime driving hours. All of those data are being continuously used by their system to calculate the fastest route. Because it has much more real-time data based upon many more users, it's more effective in providing the best re-routes around traffic jams.

Every now and then, I will run both Waze and the car NAV at the same time, and often Waze plots a different route, which out-performs them. Because the car systems don't have access to nearly as much real-time data, re-routes are often based upon something that happened an hour ago which is no longer relevant. Waze seems to recognize more quickly that traffic jams have now been cleared, as well as seeing more quickly that new traffic jams have occurred. The car-based systems more often send you on a re-route, which takes longer and is no longer necessary. My experience has been that they are also more likely to send you into new jams not yet recognized.

If you live in a more rural area with less traffic, the car systems usually perform equally well. Waze doesn't have an advantage in areas where it doesn't have many users on-line.
What he said...

Not to mention knowing where the cops are. Objects on road. Stalled cars.

Man its just better.

We've got forum members trying to get through life without buying data? Id compare it more like HDTV, regular def is perfectly fine until you actually experience HDTV. Crunching data is fine until you experience unlimited. There was also a time when you monitored how many cell phone calls you made, further and to where the calls were made to. THOSE DAYS ARE LONG GONE.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-17-2016 at 11:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikelanzetta (06-19-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BierNut
Don't forget barefoot in the snow, as well...
It wasn't that primitive back then...my mother wrapped my feet in aluminum foil.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
What he said...

Not to mention knowing where the cops are. Objects on road. Stalled cars.

Man its just better.

We've got forum members trying to get through life without buying data? Id compare it more like HDTV, regular def is perfectly fine until you actually experience HDTV. Crunching data is fine until you experience unlimited. There was also a time when you monitored how many cell phone calls you made, further and to where the calls were made to. THOSE DAYS ARE LONG GONE.
I'm waiting for my 1993 35" RCA cathode ray tube to burn out before I go HDTV flat screen, which may be never. (In the meantime, I was able to save up for an F-Type).