F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Map upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Map upgrades

I have a 2018 F Type P300, in all the literature I have read it talks about removing the SD card in the centre console to use to download the map upgrades, my car doesn't have an SD card, just two USB sockets, and HDMI socket and a socket for the SIM card. How do I upgrade my map. Help ?

Old 10-19-2021, 01:14 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Go to the Here download site and download the map to a USB stick. Turn on the nav and plug the stick in (either port), and I think it'll all happen automagically. I've never done it since the download manager isn't compatible with my computers. See the "Map Updates" section in your handbook for details (p165 in mine).

And welcome to the forums!

Last edited by scm; 10-19-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Having just done this, I suggest you do follow the instructions and use a 64GB USB 3.1 stick (not USB 2).

The following users liked this post:
Cluck (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

The website is:
Jaguar Account & Maps

There are varying reports on the size memory stick that is required and whether is matters if it's USB 2.0 vs 3.0. And, some think they get mixed results between brands. FWIW, I been using a cheap, dedicated 16GB USB 2.0 for the past 5 years on our F-Pace with good results for the NA Maps. But, I do find the JLR download utility is happier with Chrome vs Firefox. It takes about 30 minutes to download the updated maps and they're loaded directly onto the memory stick. (USB 3 may be faster.) I believe my car cares which USB port you use to upload the new maps. Plug it in, engage Nav and it will prompt you if you want to update. Loading the updates to the car goes much quicker than the download process - about 8 minutes (less than it says).

Old 10-20-2021, 03:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

is it a different website for a 2017?? I tried to input the VIN for my vehicle and it just gives me an error message of enter a valid vin??

Old 10-20-2021, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Unknownsir
is it a different website for a 2017?? I tried to input the VIN for my vehicle and it just gives me an error message of enter a valid vin??
Same website. You do have to register, but I'm guessing that's where you're having your VIN issue. Did you buy your car used? It may be tied to a previous owner and I'm not sure how to update the ownership. You may have to contact JLR directly, or through your dealer.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

I think you may be on the wrong website. I had the same problem until I called JLR NA.
You need to go to :

welcome to incontrol route planner

https://www.jaguar.here.com › .

Old 10-20-2021, 06:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
Same website. You do have to register, but I'm guessing that's where you're having your VIN issue. Did you buy your car used? It may be tied to a previous owner and I'm not sure how to update the ownership. You may have to contact JLR directly, or through your dealer.
I did purchase the car used from the Jaguar dealer n the warranty is transferred over to me but I guess maybe that could be a hiccup where HERE doesn’t have that info? And yes I created an account with HaERE and at that time I couldn’t get it to accept my VIN and have gone back twice to try again with same negative results. I figured in the long run I would just use my cell phone as WAZE is always up to date but I did like how my upcoming turns show on my cluster w/o looking at radio.

I had originally thought that since mine was a base model that maybe the route planner wasn’t compatible with my level of radio? I don’t have a SIM slot in my media hub. Just 2 usb and above them a cd player

Old 10-21-2021, 07:24 AM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

There is a 24 hour delay between the time you register on the HERE web-site and being able to download the maps. Some back-end setup needs to occur first. If you are having issues wait a day and try again.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:31 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I am unable to get the map updates for my 2021 because I can't get the car to connect to the internet. I have tried everything including registering my car on the InControl Route Planner website. It recognizes the VIN number but when I check it again after a couple of days it says that I don't have any vehicles registered. I get a message that I need to login through the navigation system but all I get there is the icon on the upper right part of the screen that it is trying to connect to the internet and then eventually an icon with the diagonal slash through it indicating that the connection failed or is not available.

I spent some time on the phone with Jaguar tech support and they concluded that it is either a faulty SIM card or a problem in a module in the car and that I should take it to the dealer for a check out.
Well, I guess I will do that and ask them for a new SIM card first. Tech Support said that the dealer has to issue a SIM card and register it to the car. If it is a module that is faulty, I think I will decline the repair. I'll bet it would require tearing the dashboard apart to replace and I think the risk of it never being the same as the factory assembly is too high. I can always use the WAZE app on my phone through the Android Auto function and screen mirroring if I feel that I really need up to the minute maps while travelling.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

You do not need to connect the car to the internet.

The maps update file is very large and almost certainly too large to download directly to the in-car internet connection.
Instead, you downlod it to a USB 3.1 memory stick from www.jaguar.here.com
It takes about 30 minutes if you have high speed internet and use a high speed USB 3.1 - mine took about 30 minutes at 400mbps.
Then you insert the loaded USB into one of the center USB slots in the car and follow the on-screen prompts.

I too went through several aggravating false starts trying to update until I got a clear explanntion of the process from JLR NA customer service.

If you do as suggested it should work.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:13 AM

Thank you CJSJAG, I understand the procedure and bought a 64gb 3.0 USB stick to download the update onto.
But, when I try to get the map update on the InControl website and enter my VIN, I get this message:

The VIN number is absolutely correct.

So I then go to the InControl Route Planner website, login, go to My Account/Manage My Vehicles/Add Vehicle, type in my VIN number and click on Validate My Vehicle as it does show the correct type and color of my car and click on Confirm vehicle, the screen then shows that I have a connected vehicle. However, that data doesn't "stick" as when I go back to My Account it shows that I have 0 vehicles connected. I then see this message:

So I can't add my vehicle to my account even though I have a valid VIN number and the InControl Route Planner website confirms it, and since the car won't connect to the internet I cannot add it as suggested in line 2 above either.
That's where I am at right now.

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 10-22-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

I am connected on "in control" but it does not owrk for map updates.
It shows trip date and car condition etc and allows certain functions.
The maps update on that site does not work and I get the same problem in that it will not recognize my correct (2021) VIN.
I am not sure but think the PIVI/PRO map updates ite is either obsolete or only works with older models - hence does not recognise newer VINs

So, as previous, you need to go to this different site which does work

www.Jaguar.Here.com

I only discovered this by calling Jaguar North America customer service.after going through exactly your experience!!

Old 10-22-2021, 11:15 AM

This website www.Jaguar.Here.com is where I have an account and where I tried to add my vehicle only to find that it doesn't save my vehicle information as noted in my post above.

Jaguar's tech support phone service wasn't much help other than to tell me to take my car in to the dealer.

Marlow42 (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 04:41 PM
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

@Dwight Frye I'm having the same issues.... Tried two Vin's, neither accepted. Getting very fed up................

Old 10-24-2021, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for your help,

Originally Posted by scm
Go to the Here download site and download the map to a USB stick. Turn on the nav and plug the stick in (either port), and I think it'll all happen automagically. I've never done it since the download manager isn't compatible with my computers. See the "Map Updates" section in your handbook for details (p165 in mine).

And welcome to the forums!
thanks for your help, I’m still struggling to get in control and the map updates to work, so a visit to Harwoods next week should help, at a price.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:06 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaughan R
thanks for your help, I’m still struggling to get in control and the map updates to work, so a visit to Harwoods next week should help, at a price.
If you bought from a dealer, I'd expect them to sort it all out for nothing.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi all,

The frustration here is I believe caused by JLRs horrible web sites. The fact is that those updates are only valid and available if you have InControl Pro, which I think was MY 2018 on.

I have a 2017 and get the exact same VIN not valid message, but I think thats because of my InControl version.

I might be wrong but digging around this seems like a likely explanation, particularly given the totally crap web organization and duplicity of the JLR info.

If this is wrong please let me know, If I can update my car without going to the dealer cool.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:25 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Look here, this is the heading for that page, it clearly states it's for the Pro version...

INCONTROL TOUCH PRO MAPS & SERVICES

ADD A VEHICLE

There are no vehicles linked with this account. Maps and Services can not be accessed without a vehicle linked to the account.

To add a vehicle, you will need the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

And yet my vehicle and VIN are correctly registered with the Jag InControl site and the maps are shows me as up to date.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:57 PM

I plan on calling their tech support again this week and requesting that they register my vehicle for me. I'm about tired of their dysfunctional website. I don't think the failure of my vehicle being able to connect to the internet is that big of a deal since I'm not going to pay AT&T a monthly service charge for the expanded navigation features.

But I'm not going to be happy driving my 2021 model in 2023 or 2024 if I have been unable to download the periodic map updates on a USB stick and load them into the vehicle.

GeDaJew (10-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Map upgrades