F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maserati GranTurismo vs. F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Maserati GranTurismo vs. F-Type

Had the club’s GranTurismo out for a couple of days. The one big positive is that it has a usable back seat. The negative is that it is far longer, heavier, far more expensive, and at 454 rated horsepower not as powerful as the F-Type V8 S. Oh and if you think the F-Type has a small trunk the Maserati will give it a run for the money (very short and kind of deep, almost exactly the size of one not too big set of golf clubs), granted you could toss your bags into the backseat but you’d struggle to get a single roller into the Maserati’s trunk. It is a very pretty car and driving it over a long distance would likely be more comfortable than the F-Type, it is really soft. It is at least as low and being longer means the middle hits stuff the F-Type misses (it even hit stuff my lowered XK-R misses). Driving it reminded me of driving a ‘70s era Corvette with the very high sharp front wheel wells. It is reasonably quiet with decent sound but no racer, you’ll feel the weight in corners and at a bit under 5 seconds 0-60 it is no stop light racer. It actually felt slower to me than its spec and tended to stumble if you aggressively came off the gas and then attempted to accelerate. This is a car to take for long day drives down the coast with two couples, or better with up to two kids (the back seats aren’t that roomy). The top makes Jag tops in general look good, it feels as if you are opening and closing missile launch ports particularly when the top slams down onto the window (I doubt that it will hold up well). I actually enjoy driving my old XK-R (2005) more as it has a huge trunk and I pulled out the worthless back seat long ago and replaced it with two honking big woofers. But if you want to make your F-Type seem like a bargain, price and test drive one of these puppies.

Attached Thumbnails Maserati GranTurismo vs. F-Type-masgt.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by enderle:
schraderade (04-23-2014), tberg (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

On the subject of Maseratis, the Ghibli has received a number of terrible reviews. I saw it last year at the L.A. Auto Show and was not impressed, but didn't expect such a poor reception.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It always seems to me that four-seat convertibles look out of proportion with today's large headrests.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Default Roll Bars

Originally Posted by bobby emm
It always seems to me that four-seat convertibles look out of proportion with today's large headrests.

In this car the roll over protection (pop up roll bars) are in those headrests.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
On the subject of Maseratis, the Ghibli has received a number of terrible reviews. I saw it last year at the L.A. Auto Show and was not impressed, but didn't expect such a poor reception.
I went and looked at one last weekend. Didn't drive it, just took a Sunday afternoon stroll around the car lot.

The same dealer also has Porsche, Aston Martin and Jaguar in the same complex so it was easy to make some comparisons. Outwardly I really like the Ghibli, the car looks good and is well proportioned. To me it's more aesthetically appealing than the XF or Panamera is.

That said, the XF is a very good car and there are some seriously good deals on vehicles a couple years old and not many miles.

If the Ghibli comes with the same 50% discount after 2 yrs that other Maserati's do, then it might be a consideration, assuming the reliability turns out to be reasonable.

Not as a replacement for the XKR mind you... the wife's Maxima.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I saw one in a parking lot nearby. It is just so bland looking from the rear. Something like you'd see in a modern Kia. Which is pretty good, for a Kia. But not for a Maserati...

Old 04-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I saw a Ghibli parked next to me at the post office, today. I just can't get excited about the body. I think the Toyota Avalon is much nicer (looks much like an XF from the rear) and priced at least 20 grand less. A lot of the criticisms of the Ghibli have been based on the fact that they raided a Dodge Charger parts bin for many interior finishes. I don't like the new Quatroporte either. The GranTurismo is, however, gorgeous. Comparing anything to a Porsche Panamera, lookswise, is just plain cruel. The Panamera is certainly one of the ugliest cars since the Alfa Milano and the Plymouth Valiant. Anything and everything is more attractive than a Panamera.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Default Agree on the Panamera

I saw a Ghibli parked next to me at the post office, today. I just can't get excited about the body. I think the Toyota Avalon is much nicer (looks much like an XF from the rear) and priced at least 20 grand less. A lot of the criticisms of the Ghibli have been based on the fact that they raided a Dodge Charger parts bin for many interior finishes. I don't like the new Quatroporte either. The GranTurismo is, however, gorgeous. Comparing anything to a Porsche Panamera, lookswise, is just plain cruel. The Panamera is certainly one of the ugliest cars since the Alfa Milano and the Plymouth Valiant. Anything and everything is more attractive than a Panamera.

I agree on the Panamera though it is a nice driving car. But the award for ugly still goes to the XK-E 2+2 which looked pregnant. There was a '71 2+2 for sale the other day I looked at, what a way to destroy a piece of art.