Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meridian Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Most problems seem to have been reported by those with upgrades.
Only the 770 Meridian appears to be available for the 2016 model year. If that's where most of the problems were found, you wouldn't think that they would make that the only available unit.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Only the 770 Meridian appears to be available for the 2016 model year. If that's where most of the problems were found, you wouldn't think that they would make that the only available unit.
Its not just the 770 model, its also the the 360w setup and relates to the engineering of the mounting of the speaker, coupled with the lack of isolation/tethering of other components within the door. And its impacted mostly by the deeper mid-range signals and affects music as well as spoken voice.

Its a reasonable amount of work for Jaguar to get right as it would mean amending certain door components and altering the build instructions in what is a complex piece of a car. As any car engineer will tell you, they'd rather fix/design an engine than a door which is likely why JLR have been aloof on this issue.

Meridian's brand is now mud in my eyes as a result. Its clear they can have little to actually do with the design of the installation. The same can't be said of Bang & Olufsen in some of the German branded cars.

Anyone got any news for a TSB for this yet? Its getting on 15 months since it was first raised.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Perhaps, but very few base Meridian owners have reported problems here. I have none of the described problems with the base system and have tried it at painfully high volumes, and with plenty of bass. That may be because most people on the forum seem to be S and R purchasers, hence fewer base systems reported here.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Perhaps, but very few base Meridian owners have reported problems here. I have none of the described problems with the base system and have tried it at painfully high volumes, and with plenty of bass. That may be because most people on the forum seem to be S and R purchasers, hence fewer base systems reported here.
In the UK and other countries, the 380W Meridian system was the mid-level upgrade as the base car - even in the S and V8 models - came with only a 180W system. At $1200 in the UK, the mid-level (380W) Meridian is the most popular upgrade as the 700W system is nearly $3000 over here.

When you see these prices, its understandable why its frustrating to have such a crappy experience.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

I certainly do understand and was never doubting that some have real issues. But, I thought it was also useful to know that some don't seem to have those problems. The fact that some seem to be OK does suggests a breakdown of interior assembly quality control.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Where's the CD slot in our cars?

Old 01-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jns2001
Since I don't have the car yet, I can't help. However, CDs seem a bit old school for this car.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jns2001
It's just above the cigarette lighter (or power port) inside the center console

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-01-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Since I don't have the car yet, I can't help. However, CDs seem a bit old school for this car.
Yes it is, but it's still in every other new car, even low-end models, and some still do use them. That will likely no longer be the case within a couple of years.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Yes it is, but it's still in every other new car, even low-end models, and some still do use them. That will likely no longer be the case within a couple of years.
I know, but still doesn't seem necessary. I've got the same Reggae CD in my player that I first put in 13 years ago. I've got an iPod with my entire collection somewhere in the back of my glove box that is constantly in play that I haven't seen in that same amount of time. In my wife's 2009 car I just Bluetooth into her system off my iPhone.

Now for the next question, will the player play DVDs and drive the monitor (in neutral or park)?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

I know, but still doesn't seem necessary. I've got the same Reggae CD in my player that I first put in 13 years ago. I've got an iPod with my entire collection somewhere in the back of my glove box that is constantly in play that I haven't seen in that same amount of time. In my wife's 2009 car I just Bluetooth into her system off my iPhone.

Now for the next question, will the player play DVDs and drive the monitor (in neutral or park)?
I know, the only way I listen to any music in a car any more is streaming my iPhone playlist through Bluetooth. CDs in current cars are only necessary because everyone else still provides it, and I'm sure they think they may lose sales if they dump it first.

Since U.S. Federal regulations make a TV monitor illegal anywhere the driver can see it, I suspect they would like to provide it if they could figure out a tamper-proof method to only make it available when the car is not in motion. Otherwise, they no doubt fear huge liabilities for a simple system that could be un-plugged.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Back in the late '90s (maybe even now) they offered center dashboard mounted videos with swivel screens in Japan. If the screen was aimed at the driver, the monitor would turn off unless the handbrake was engaged. Only the passenger could view the screen (pointed in that direction) if the brake was released. GPS screens on MINIs (probably all BMWs) can be modified into both broadcast and DVD players. I spec'd it out, but common sense got the better of me. Not that texting or phoning while driving is any better.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Back in the late '90s (maybe even now) they offered center dashboard mounted videos with swivel screens in Japan. If the screen was aimed at the driver, the monitor would turn off unless the handbrake was engaged. Only the passenger could view the screen (pointed in that direction) if the brake was released. GPS screens on MINIs (probably all BMWs) can be modified into both broadcast and DVD players. I spec'd it out, but common sense got the better of me. Not that texting or phoning while driving is any better.
Yes, I realize that any half-way smart person could figure out a way to modify it, which is exactly what the manufacturers fear. If it's easy to modify and get around the regulations they have potential liability. Thus, the simplest solution is to make it as hard as possible, such that any modification will be obvious.

I hope that never changes!!!! It's bad enough now that I can't drive anywhere without someone weaving into my lane with their head pointed down at their smart phone, reading or texting. I'd go so far as to say that I think even today's legal touch-screen menus are hazardous because they do take your eyes more off the road than just a dedicated on-off buttons.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My sound system buzzes and hums, July delivery, 2015 R Coupe.

I would be really upset, but I ordinarily just listen to the engine/exhaust, and haven't gone back to the dealer yet for any maintenance.

The following users liked this post:
mawheele (01-02-2015)
Old 01-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a V8 S with the base 380 system. I have not had vibration issues with the top up or down at highway speeds.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enfield
I have a V8 S with the base 380 system. I have not had vibration issues with the top up or down at highway speeds.
Glad I'm not the only one with a system that works as it should.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:10 AM

Glad I'm not the only one with a system that works as it should.
No, there are two of you.

Luck of the Irish?

Old 01-02-2015, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

I'd go so far as to say that I think even today's legal touch-screen menus are hazardous because they do take your eyes more off the road than just a dedicated on-off buttons.
+1. Even hands-free phone systems make for hazardous driving. The research shows that distraction from hands-free sets is just as much as that from hand-helds, yet nowhere has their use been restricted on the road.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Meridian

Took F-Type V8S to dealer re: audio vibration. Said nothing could be done. Called Jag customer service. I asked them to have the factory rep get involved. He came out and listened to my and another F-Type and determined it was "it was normal". I called Jag back and the rep said they would send me $1,500 in customer loyalty certificates. Told the rep. I didn't want the certificates, "I just want the problem to be fixed".

While the car was in the shop, I had some kind of entry level Jag as a loaner. Although the stereo was modest, it's doors also rattled. I have had after-market audio systems for many years. Many of them 1000+.Vibration was consistently a problem. We always found a way to fix it.

The service manager got involved with Jag and I. He was amazing. He said I could take the car to a audio dealer and if it was $200-$400 he would get it paid for me. I asked him to take the car for me, as I didn't want to be responsible for modifying the car. Wow! He did. They installed some kind of sound absorption material in the doors. It did not fix the problem but hats off to the service manager.

The problem as I described it is not a sound system problem! It is a vibration of something in the doors. If you hold the outside door handle you can pull up on it and the vibration goes away. My unprofessional opinion is that there are components in the doors, like, door lock linkage, window frames, locks, etc. that have loose tolerances in fit that allow the parts to vibrate.

By there way, I believe it is mid-bass that causes the rattle not the low bass from the sub woofers. It especially intense from lower cords in an acoustic guitar solo played at 24 on the volume scale. That is unacceptable for stereo that sounds so good.

I will call Meridian to see if they have solved this problem for anyone else and report back to the thread.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jerry Secor:
DuhCar (01-03-2015), Foosh (01-03-2015), mawheele (01-04-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

This Jaguar "Factory Rep" - did he have a name?

Quick Reply: Meridian Audio System