F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meridian Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Secor
Took F-Type V8S to dealer re: audio vibration. Said nothing could be done. Called Jag customer service. I asked them to have the factory rep get involved. He came out and listened to my and another F-Type and determined it was "it was normal". I called Jag back and the rep said they would send me $1,500 in customer loyalty certificates. Told the rep. I didn't want the certificates, "I just want the problem to be fixed".

While the car was in the shop, I had some kind of entry level Jag as a loaner. Although the stereo was modest, it's doors also rattled. I have had after-market audio systems for many years. Many of them 1000+.Vibration was consistently a problem. We always found a way to fix it.

The service manager got involved with Jag and I. He was amazing. He said I could take the car to a audio dealer and if it was $200-$400 he would get it paid for me. I asked him to take the car for me, as I didn't want to be responsible for modifying the car. Wow! He did. They installed some kind of sound absorption material in the doors. It did not fix the problem but hats off to the service manager.

The problem as I described it is not a sound system problem! It is a vibration of something in the doors. If you hold the outside door handle you can pull up on it and the vibration goes away. My unprofessional opinion is that there are components in the doors, like, door lock linkage, window frames, locks, etc. that have loose tolerances in fit that allow the parts to vibrate.

By there way, I believe it is mid-bass that causes the rattle not the low bass from the sub woofers. It especially intense from lower cords in an acoustic guitar solo played at 24 on the volume scale. That is unacceptable for stereo that sounds so good.

I will call Meridian to see if they have solved this problem for anyone else and report back to the thread.

Jerry - thanks to you on behalf of the many owners with this same issue. You did extremely well to get the factory rep out as I've been trying to get someone for 16 months now and JLR UK flatly refused.

The Jaguar representatives from the social team (part of JLR Customer Relations) kept wanting me to give the dealers another chance having already given them the car 4-5 weeks, having the door apart 4-times and various parts scuffed around the door. I told them my car was not their engineering prototype when they had plenty of examples of their own cars to go work on. I challenged them to walk across the way to borrow one of their press cars to see it for themselves but never got a response.

You have the problem well identified and it affects every F-type I have ever been in, including Meridian 380W and 770W.

You also did very well getting them to offer $1500 as I was only offered £500 ($775) to go away - and like you, I refused it.

KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT!!

The following 2 users liked this post by mawheele:
alexg (01-06-2015), DuhCar (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 05:35 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
Jerry - thanks to you on behalf of the many owners with this same issue. You did extremely well to get the factory rep out as I've been trying to get someone for 16 months now and JLR UK flatly refused.

The Jaguar representatives from the social team (part of JLR Customer Relations) kept wanting me to give the dealers another chance having already given them the car 4-5 weeks, having the door apart 4-times and various parts scuffed around the door. I told them my car was not their engineering prototype when they had plenty of examples of their own cars to go work on. I challenged them to walk across the way to borrow one of their press cars to see it for themselves but never got a response.

You have the problem well identified and it affects every F-type I have ever been in, including Meridian 380W and 770W.

You also did very well getting them to offer $1500 as I was only offered £500 ($775) to go away - and like you, I refused it.

KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT!!
As I have stated previously, I have the 770W on an R and none of the Meridian sound issues cited on this forum. My car was built in November 2014 and I took delivery in December. After reading all the issues I actually tried to recreate some of the problems in my vehicle to see if it might help determine the cause but no matter how loud the volume or deep the bass I have no rattles, buzzing, etc. The sound is very clear.

This might be a matter of Jaguar correcting whatever the issue was in the more recent builds. It would be interesting to see if anyone else with a November build date has issues. If not, then it illustrates that the problem can be fixed? However, that does not explain why owners of earlier builds (Foosh, Enfield) have no issues either.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know his name I'll try to find out tomorrow.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:42 PM

Just PM'd Ryan@JLR. I'll let you know what he says. I would be interested to know something from the people who say they don't have problems with doors rattling or vibrating with the stereo on. Questions: What source and source material are you using? The most notable vibration on my system comes from cd's encoded as AIFF's. These uncompressed files would have more bass response than a file encoded as MP3, etc. and may cause more vibration. I still have the same problem with satellite as well. Are you using bluetooth? If so, iPod or iPhone or?. Just interested.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Just PM'd Ryan@JLR. I'll let you know what he says. I would be interested to know something from the people who say they don't have problems with doors rattling or vibrating with the stereo on. Questions: What source and source material are you using? The most notable vibration on my system comes from cd's encoded as AIFF's. These uncompressed files would have more bass response than a file encoded as MP3, etc. and may cause more vibration. I still have the same problem with satellite as well. Are you using bluetooth? If so, iPod or iPhone or?. Just interested.
Jerry:

I have played some CDs at Christmas but not sure if they were encoded as AIFFs???

Most of my listening is satellite radio and Bluetooth (iPhone 6 Plus). Have had no sound issues with either.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello! First post for me, I paid to have my stereo upgraded when I speced the car, I think it's the mid range version that I bought... It's been back to the jaguar service center two times now to be fixed, rear subs buzzing and farting ...it's better but still not 100%.

Its a coupe, I ordered it in June and took delivery of it in September. Love the car but not the stereo.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll probably jinx myself for posting this. I have the Meridian 770W system with no issues....yet. My previous vehicle was modified with Arc Audio amplifiers and Morel speakers. I did not think I would ever hear a factory system come close to sounding as good. I am quite amazed at how good it sounds with a blue tooth to my phone.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag F Type R
I'll probably jinx myself for posting this. I have the Meridian 770W system with no issues....yet. My previous vehicle was modified with Arc Audio amplifiers and Morel speakers. I did not think I would ever hear a factory system come close to sounding as good. I am quite amazed at how good it sounds with a blue tooth to my phone.
Ditto, I generally only stream via Bluetooth from my iPhone, and I'm also amazed at how good it sounds, but in my case, it's the 380w system (US base system). It's one of the best OEM systems I've had.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Hi all. After reading this thread yesterday, I went out today and investigated my 770W. There was not one sign of a rattle or vibration in any of the 3 modes. Having had a good listen, I've decided Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Little Wing" sounds best in DTS at about sound level 20 with the windows down and Active Exhaust on!

Old 01-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same problem on my R delivered in mid-November. It's enough of a problem that I am going to pay to have it fixed myself by an aftermarket audio shop if Jaguar is unable/unwilling to fix it. So far, it is the only flaw in the vehicle, and it's not a small flaw either.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:10 PM

In order to assist the dealer and repair the vibration, I downloaded a frequency generator app, on my iPhone, hooked it up to bluetooth today and checked the audio system. If you play 75hz at volume level 20 or above my vibration screams. Touch the door and it goes away. This test should help anyone with a subwoofer problem as well. Just scan the appropriate frequencies.
Ryan referred me to Jag customer service. They called me today and will get back to me in 3 days. I'll let you know what they say.
I'm going to call my service manager tomorrow and ask him if he will provide a tech to work with me to isolate and repair the problem. He was very helpful before.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jerry Secor:
alexg (01-06-2015), mawheele (01-06-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

In order to assist the dealer and repair the vibration, I downloaded a frequency generator app, on my iPhone, hooked it up to bluetooth today and checked the audio system. If you play 75hz at volume level 20 or above my vibration screams. Touch the door and it goes away.
Where do you touch the door to make it go away?

Old 01-06-2015, 12:06 PM

To stop the vibration I pressed, with light pressure, the top of the door by the bottom of the window. In the middle from front to back. I din't try anywhere else. I know that on the left door I lifted up on the outside door handle and it stopped the vibration as well.

The following users liked this post:
mawheele (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Talked to my local dealers service manager about having a tech take the door apart and let me use the signal generator to isolate the problem. You could do it with music too but you have to wait for just the correct frequencies of a song. The signal generator emits that frequency continuously. The service manager has a relationship with a car audio dealer and he is going to arrange a meeting with them and me. I am hopeful we will be able to find a simple solution that could help us all. I remember reading something on this forum that referenced a wiring harness in the door that could be making noise. We'll see.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jerry Secor:
alexg (01-06-2015), Foosh (01-06-2015), mawheele (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Good luck, and I think it's great that you're taking a persistent, methodical, and calm approach to figuring this out. I suspect others will benefit from your efforts.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Talked to my local dealers service manager about having a tech take the door apart and let me use the signal generator to isolate the problem. You could do it with music too but you have to wait for just the correct frequencies of a song. The signal generator emits that frequency continuously. The service manager has a relationship with a car audio dealer and he is going to arrange a meeting with them and me. I am hopeful we will be able to find a simple solution that could help us all. I remember reading something on this forum that referenced a wiring harness in the door that could be making noise. We'll see.
Jerry, please link or reference which app you are using please. I will use the same for consistency. 75hz is a low 'D' and I like D! I have issues with high frequencies also around the vocal range 3000hz too, especially with classical music, strings and piano. My V8 Vert is due for its one year service at BMCD (San Fran) next Monday so lets see how they will react when I play them the rattling vibrations.

There is actually another long thread where we discussed this earlier last year. It would be good if an admin could merge them please. I had suggested turning the bass down quite a bit on the eq as the eq setting is poor which is weird coming from Meridian. I have the same system in my Evoque (which sounds great) but it seems like they just ported it over to the F-Type without testing it nearly enough.

mawheele (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Maybe if you wheeled it into the studio, pointed the monitor at it, and used the mixing deck? You could then use a selection of microphones to listen for buzzing...

Old 01-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default a Partial Solution

My 770w system causes the doors to vibrate at moderate speaker volume. . Playing at about 25 on the volume scale, certain low frequencies cause something in the doors to vibrate. Have turned down the bass but it loses what the stereo is designed to do. I took it to the dealer and they said they tried another F-Type and it does the same thing. They said that there are no fixes from Jaguar so there is nothing they can do. Any ideas? I am calling Jaguar today.

I just finished connecting a new phone via Bluetooth and was playing around with the iPhone Settings under: Music- Equalizer. I kept changing the settings and found that on certain output settings the speakers rattled more than on other settings. I usually listen to pretty loud, bass-oriented music from old rock to new stuff and after playing a few songs at various settings I decided to leave the phone output on "Piano"! seemed to get strong bass along with good highs and vocals.

I agree that the Meridian sound system isn't up to the Jaguar brand name (by a long way), and don't know why they ever released the car when this was likely something they could/should have fixed pre-release but the change I made to my phone made a big difference to the Bluetooth sourced music.

too bad Meridian/Jaguar didn't add an equalizer to the F Type.

mawheele (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 03:44 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsnTX
I just finished connecting a new phone via Bluetooth and was playing around with the iPhone Settings under: Music- Equalizer. I kept changing the settings and found that on certain output settings the speakers rattled more than on other settings. I usually listen to pretty loud, bass-oriented music from old rock to new stuff and after playing a few songs at various settings I decided to leave the phone output on "Piano"! seemed to get strong bass along with good highs and vocals.

I agree that the Meridian sound system isn't up to the Jaguar brand name (by a long way), and don't know why they ever released the car when this was likely something they could/should have fixed pre-release but the change I made to my phone made a big difference to the Bluetooth sourced music.

Right. Its an engineering design implementation issue thats affecting every car whether the owner knows it or not. The development work was quite clearly never done properly for the audio system in F-Type.

What continues to frustrate me personally is the lack of Jaguar and its customer relations team taking this seriously. I really can't understand why they keep sending us back to the dealer when very clearly its a problem that needs a proper audio engineer from the factory to come and test a few cars out.

Jaguar - if you are listening - my offer remains open; If you are prepared to send one of your audio engineers (not the local rep) from the factory then I will book my car into the dealership and you can have my car for 1-2 weeks if you like. This offer has been on the table several times for more than a year and its been repeatedly turned down. But lets be honest, a dealer is not equipped to fix this with the tools and training you provide - even as a master tech. You do not train mechanics to be Tonmeisters...!
All I ask is that you return her back the way I gave the car to you, without all the scuffs and marks that have come from your dealers having taken the door apart 4-times already. Please PM me.

DuhCar (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsnTX

You should never really need to equalize anything that has been well produced and properly mastered as long as your listening environment isn't harsh. There are lots of sound issues within the F-Type. An eq wouldnt really help much.

The following 3 users liked this post by alexg:
DuhCar (01-12-2015), F-typical (01-12-2015), mawheele (01-18-2015)

Quick Reply: Meridian Audio System