F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meridian Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the 770w Meridian and it developed a serious rattle in the speaker grill behind the driver seat. I took it to the dealer last week and according to them, they were able to move a speaker cable that was causing the issue. Whatever they did, it did correct the issue for me.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey TranceRaver,

I happen to be a Trance DJ myself (for 25 years). I get full use of my 770w Meridian and have suffered some issues with it myself - only at very specific frequency ranges though.

BTW, I like your handle

The following users liked this post:
mawheele (01-18-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

For remodelling reasons, I've recently had cause to sit my speaker mounts directly on the concrete subfloor, rather than on the free floating wood floor. The wood floor is still present over the rest of the room, yet the improvement is sound quality is mind boggling.

What chance of accurate sound reproduction in an aluminium can full of dried peas...

Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice. You can't beat a really good hifi blast.

Originally Posted by F-typical
What chance of accurate sound reproduction in an aluminium can full of dried peas...
Absolutely no chance of Jaguar doing anything about fixing it me thinks. They seem to have gone silent to reduce the reverberation ;-)

Old 01-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

In case anyone is interested, I did manage locate one of the sources of rattling in my car. It's the latch on the door on the vertically mounted center cubby hole between the seats. It seems it's not latching quite tightly enough when closed, and at certain frequencies it was resonating/rattling.

I do still have a slight rattle coming from the door area as others do, albeit not nearly as bad as some other members seem to have it, but the cubbyhole was actually a big contributor in my case and stuffing it full of material or placing an elbow on it to hold it closed makes the rattle and vibration go away.

This obviously might not be the cause on other cars, but for those who do have the rattle/vibration problem, it might be worth checking.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 383 Likes on 257 Posts

Craziness... I get no rattle whasoever in either of my XK's... wonder why one car has a rattle and the other does not!?!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Craziness... I get no rattle whasoever in either of my XK's... wonder why one car has a rattle and the other does not!?!
Settings... It's all about the bass, bout the bass, no treble.

Last edited by MI-FType; 01-23-2015 at 09:08 PM.
ebbnflow (02-04-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Settings... It's all about the bass, bout the bass, no treble.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Base v6.... 360 meridian...i got the rattle too... what a crappy sound system Jaguar.

mawheele (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by johney5
Base v6.... 360 meridian...i got the rattle too... what a crappy sound system Jaguar.
Try turning down the bass a few clicks. Many have reported that takes care of their door rattle.

Even though I've had no rattles at all, the "factory setting" had way too much bass for my taste. It was giving me a headache. There is still plenty of bass at a lower setting, and it sounds much more balanced.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Try turning down the bass a few clicks. Many have reported that takes care of their door rattle.

Even though I've had no rattles at all, the "factory setting" had way too much bass for my taste. It was giving me a headache. There is still plenty of bass at a lower setting, and it sounds much more balanced.
+1
Same can be said for the 770

Old 01-29-2015, 03:29 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Foosh, I'm struggling to see why we as customers who have paid a ton of extra cash to have an audiophile system from Meridian should be having to tweak the system down rather than expecting Jaguar to fix it so that its fit for purpose.

The main issue is actually mid-range resonance.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mawheele
Foosh, I'm struggling to see why we as customers who have paid a ton of extra cash to have an audiophile system from Meridian should be having to tweak the system down rather than expecting Jaguar to fix it so that its fit for purpose.

The main issue is actually mid-range resonance.
I don't think you heard what I said. I don't have and have never had the rattle or any other problem with the audio system. I think it's one of the best I've had in any car.

What I said was the factory default setting has too much bass. Others have reported that turning down the bass gets rid of the rattle. Even with the bass turned down from the factory setting, and it still has more than ample bass. It is adjustable for a reason, as is any audiophile system.

I was simply trying to help a new car owner who reported a rattle by providing him with a tip that worked for others. Since I don't have a complaint, I have no dog in your fight with JLR on this issue.

And BTW, neither I, nor the person I was trying to help, paid any extra money for the system since we both have the std. system in the U.S. (380w).

Old 01-29-2015, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

Ton of cash for radio system? B&O system options can run $5K! After market $2500 plus to infinity. Meridian is not anything special but typical of the $1000 options in todays cars. Best I've had in this price range is Harman Kardon surround in Merc and Audi.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
Ton of cash for radio system? B&O system options can run $5K! After market $2500 plus to infinity. Meridian is not anything special but typical of the $1000 options in todays cars. Best I've had in this price range is Harman Kardon surround in Merc and Audi.
Off topic, but MB has dumped H-K in favor of Burmester, which Porsche also now uses. My wife's new '15 C300 has the premium package with a Burmester surround system. It sounds great in the larger car, but it doesn't blow me away as all that much, if any, better than the base Meridian in my base F-Type.

I suppose I may not have audiophile ears--perhaps too many years spent in airplanes and airports.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-29-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello folks, I'm brand-new to this forum. I just bought my new 2015 F-Type Coupe R a few weeks ago, and for the most part I love it. The biggest disappointment by far has been the 720W Meridian sound system. I didn't research it or listen-test it thoroughly before buying the car--I was just trusting that Jaguar would by default go with a sound system that would live up to the rest of the car's performance. Big mistake, I guess. The bass-caused rattles are pretty minor relative to what I think is a bigger problem for me: I just can't get the settings adjusted to a point where I'm at all happy with the sound quality. The only way I can describe the output is to say that it seems to be lacking mid-range frequencies--it's all highs and lows, like it's built out of just tweeters and woofers with minimal contribution from mid-range drivers. Given that this is the hardware I'm stuck with for awhile, can someone tell me what they have found to be, for them, the best system settings for, say, rock channels on Sirius satellite radio? What mode (stereo, Dolby, etc.), and what settings (1-10 scale) for bass, treble, and subwoofer seem to work best? I know it comes down to individual taste, everyone hears things differently, etc., etc.--I'm just looking for a good starting configuration.

I was talking to some of the people at the dealership today and they didn't have any useful advice. They did pretty much admit that Meridian was a big step downward from whomever Jaguar used to use (B&W?).

Thanks in advance.

mawheele (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CJ909
Hello folks, I'm brand-new to this forum. I just bought my new 2015 F-Type Coupe R a few weeks ago, and for the most part I love it. The biggest disappointment by far has been the 720W Meridian sound system. I didn't research it or listen-test it thoroughly before buying the car--I was just trusting that Jaguar would by default go with a sound system that would live up to the rest of the car's performance. Big mistake, I guess. The bass-caused rattles are pretty minor relative to what I think is a bigger problem for me: I just can't get the settings adjusted to a point where I'm at all happy with the sound quality. The only way I can describe the output is to say that it seems to be lacking mid-range frequencies--it's all highs and lows, like it's built out of just tweeters and woofers with minimal contribution from mid-range drivers. Given that this is the hardware I'm stuck with for awhile, can someone tell me what they have found to be, for them, the best system settings for, say, rock channels on Sirius satellite radio? What mode (stereo, Dolby, etc.), and what settings (1-10 scale) for bass, treble, and subwoofer seem to work best? I know it comes down to individual taste, everyone hears things differently, etc., etc.--I'm just looking for a good starting configuration.

I was talking to some of the people at the dealership today and they didn't have any useful advice. They did pretty much admit that Meridian was a big step downward from whomever Jaguar used to use (B&W?).

Thanks in advance.
Hi

Did you mean 770W? I wasn't aware there is a 720W. Also, at the end of your post, you referred to B&W - which brand is that? I had a B & O (Bang & Olufsen) system in my RS5 and while it was good, I wouldn't say it was superior to the 770W in my R.

Couldn't give you a suggestion specifically for satellite radio although I would have thought the lossy digital format of that audio would be a bigger issue for your listening pleasure than the capabilities of your hardware.

If you are serious about your music experience, start by getting decent format music on CD or DVD. On DVDS, if you have music optimized for DTS then use the Dolby setting. Overall, I usually play all formats in Dolby setting, not Meridian setting, for the best all round quality. Forget Stereo mode.

As stated earlier, the factory settings come with treble and bass boosted. I've dialed back bass to just one step above middle, treble another step above that. I also have adjusted fade back toward the rear speakers slightly, and balance slightly to the drivers side.

Have fun.

Also, there is an Introductions thread for new members in the General Forum.

Welcome, by the way, and congratulations on your awesome new car.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:47 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Hi

Did you mean 770W? I wasn't aware there is a 720W. Also, at the end of your post, you referred to B&W - which brand is that? I had a B & O (Bang & Olufsen) system in my RS5 and while it was good, I wouldn't say it was superior to the 770W in my R.

Couldn't give you a suggestion specifically for satellite radio although I would have thought the lossy digital format of that audio would be a bigger issue for your listening pleasure than the capabilities of your hardware.

If you are serious about your music experience, start by getting decent format music on CD or DVD. On DVDS, if you have music optimized for DTS then use the Dolby setting. Overall, I usually play all formats in Dolby setting, not Meridian setting, for the best all round quality. Forget Stereo mode.

As stated earlier, the factory settings come with treble and bass boosted. I've dialed back bass to just one step above middle, treble another step above that. I also have adjusted fade back toward the rear speakers slightly, and balance slightly to the drivers side.

Have fun.

B & W is Bowers and Wilkins--great high end audio.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Hi

Have fun.

OzRisk,

Thanks for the reply. Of course you are right about the power of the system; it is indeed 770W.

I've been listening to HD radio and CDs in addition to Sirius, and they certainly are quite a bit easier to find somewhat acceptable settings for than the satellite radio. But even then the sound quality doesn't seem very good to me. I know I'll never duplicate the quality of what I hear in my living room--I'm just trying for something comparable to other new cars I've been in. I'll try the settings you describe, tweak things from there, and with any luck come across a combination I'm happy with.

Thanks again for the reply.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

Yes B&W are great !

Quick Reply: Meridian Audio System