Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meridian Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
So, today I set up the balance and fade and levels as others have suggested and put it in DTS mode.

And then I played this at about level 50-60.

http://youtu.be/nU1VfYYKMDk

No vibrations no distortions and have to say it sounded f...ing fantastic.

I think this tells me that whilst there are better systems, it is not a fundamentally bad system. It does definitely sound like some people in some cars are experiencing build and installation quality issues which fortunately seem to be absent on mine.
Yes, this is how I set mine and it is great.
Lawrence.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:58 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
So, today I set up the balance and fade and levels as others have suggested and put it in DTS mode.

And then I played this at about level 50-60.

No vibrations no distortions and have to say it sounded f...ing fantastic.

I think this tells me that whilst there are better systems, it is not a fundamentally bad system. It does definitely sound like some people in some cars are experiencing build and installation quality issues which fortunately seem to be absent on mine.
Same here. I throttled down the bass and the sub and so far, so good.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
Same here. I throttled down the bass and the sub and so far, so good.
One thing interesting about this is that there is still lot of bass at what is displayed as a fairly low bass setting. It's like they didn't pay much attention to recommended settings.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Arrow POSSIBLE FIX to Meridian Sound System Problem!

Originally Posted by Jerry Secor
My 770w system causes the doors to vibrate at moderate speaker volume. . Playing at about 25 on the volume scale, certain low frequencies cause something in the doors to vibrate. Have turned down the bass but it loses what the stereo is designed to do. I took it to the dealer and they said they tried another F-Type and it does the same thing. They said that there are no fixes from Jaguar so there is nothing they can do. Any ideas? I am calling Jaguar today.

Today I moved the seats forward and pushed some foam padding (that I cut from the packing material from a flat screen computer monitor box) between the sections above and below the sections where the rear speakers are mounted and this SIGNIFICANTLY helped (and largely eliminated) the vibrations and rattling that I had been getting from the system. The speakers behind the seats are mounted into a press-board section that is covered with some thin carpet-type material, and this section fits into (under) the plastic rear pass-through section between the cabin and the trunk. The section which has the speakers mounted also hangs slightly over the lower section, as you go down toward the floor of the car.

In my particular case, these sections were all rattling/vibrating against each other, and possibly against the metal of the car itself, at certain bass frequencies. I kept pushing the foam padding pieces (~ 2" by 4" pieces that I cut) into any area that seemed to vibrate to my touch and slowly but surely I got rid of the obnoxious vibrations. I did it with the engine off so that I was not hearing any other competing noise.

I am still generally unsatisfied with the quality of the Meridian system but at least now I can play multiple music types and not be bugged by the rattling! The speakers can now take an incredible amount of volume.

I know that this doesn't solve the issues that others have reported about the doors vibrating........I am lucky and have not had any significant issues with door rattles. A thought - the rattling from the rear speakers might be mistaken for the side doors, so you might try this to see if it helps.

I hope this is helpful to others.

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, I did it. I had the midrange and tweeter in my meridian 380 system replaced. I used focal 4" speakers, and focal tweeters. I also had the shop dynamat the doors. Results are very good. There is now a nice clarity in the midrange and highs. I would say the overall system has gotten about 40% better. Cost: 523$ Value, peace of mind.

The bass still sucks..... i think i will probably end up doing a subwoofer, but I thought i would listen to it like this for a few days. The Meridian speakers we pulled out look like junk.

DuhCar (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 01:06 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Cool! you're the first I've heard to actually try rectifying the system by upgrading it.

Only 4" door speakers? Was that the same as the factory size?

Originally Posted by johney5
The Meridian speakers we pulled out look like junk.
Out of interest - can you take a pic of the speakers? Or did you trash them?

Last edited by mshedden; 02-22-2015 at 01:17 AM.
DuhCar (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by johney5
The Meridian speakers we pulled out look like junk.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Odd - the door speakers in my base 180w system appear to be over 7".

Old 02-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Odd - the door speakers in my base 180w system appear to be over 7".
With half the power your speakers need to be twice as large to hear them.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:17 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Cool! you're the first I've heard to actually try rectifying the system by upgrading it.

Only 4" door speakers? Was that the same as the factory size?

Out of interest - can you take a pic of the speakers? Or did you trash them?
I will take some pics later... there are 3 speakers in the door of the 380watt system (coupe). a tweeter, a 4 inch midrange, and an 8 inch base. Before we pulled the doors off my plan had been to go with a 3 component focal system. sadly most component kits come with 4" and 6.5" speakers. The audio shop could have made a reduction plate to use the 6.5, but they felt it wasn't worth it. Just so you guys know, the depth of the 4" speaker i pulled was very thin. We had to cut a bit of plastic behind the speaker to make the 4" focal fit. Probably the much larger magnet size of the Focal speaker is why the speaker is better. As i mentioned earlier, this is a lease, and i did not want to spend much. but i would say 500$ for 3 years of good sound is not so bad.

Now that the system is cleaner...i do want to improve the bass..and am thinking about a very cheap amplified sub. there is that nice little space under the trunk where it would fit perfectly, and the battery is right there...so it's an easy install.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

FWIW - I have the 180W 6 speaker 8ch base system fitted to my 2015MY V8S Cab. I play a complete variety from Deep Trance to House to Rock, you name it.
It employs only speakers in the doors, I believe and there are no bass bins behind the seats, only grilles.
I'm no audiophile, and on the rare occasions when I'm not listening to the exhaust note and have the tunes on, it sounds great, no rattles, plenty powerful enough and in a convertible car, I don't think you'll get real Hi fidelity no matter what you have?

From what I read, it looks like I will be 'downgrading' when I get the V8R Cab ;-(

Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
FWIW - I have the 180W 6 speaker 8ch base system fitted to my 2015MY V8S Cab. I play a complete variety from Deep Trance to House to Rock, you name it.
It employs only speakers in the doors, I believe and there are no bass bins behind the seats, only grilles.
I'm no audiophile, and on the rare occasions when I'm not listening to the exhaust note and have the tunes on, it sounds great, no rattles, plenty powerful enough and in a convertible car, I don't think you'll get real Hi fidelity no matter what you have?

From what I read, it looks like I will be 'downgrading' when I get the V8R Cab ;-(
FYI, the 180W is not the base system in the U.S. and is unavailable. Base system on U.S. cars is the 380W on '14 and '15 models. On '16 cars, 770w will be standard on all U.S. models.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound system not flash on F Type

i have a premium system on my F Type, I have to turn down the sub woofer and base, on certain sound tracks it basically resonates throughout the car, I will be taking into the dealer under warranty to see what they say, I took delivery of brand new V6s coupe last August, have only travelled 7350 kms. I did mention the sound system fault to the dealer during a test drive before buying the car outright, and they said they would look into it and fix it. Let's see how I go.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:45 AM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd rather spend $500 on tubes for my home pre/amplifier. The F-Type is a very poor listening environment. Its really a waste unless you are doing super long trips often and must have music.

The stock system should not rattle but it still does not make a loud noisy sports car a good listening environment.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

After two weeks of promising to call me, Jaguar CRC in the UK finally decided to get in touch today on this topic.

We enter into a dialogue about how the subject of the quality of the sound system is actually something that many people are discussing and viewing across a number of the Jaguar forums and maybe should catch the attention of JLR to think about. To which their 'Social Media' person replies: "I am unfortunately unable to take into account the number of views a post has had as evidence of a concern." This particular thread and the other 2-3 Meridian Audio threads in the F-Type section now add-up to nearly 30,000 views.

If my social media person made this remark to me I think I may have had an interesting discussion with them about the voice of the customer, metrics, indicators and sentiment.

I knew Jaguar blocked their ears, now I know they block their eyes as well.

Last edited by mawheele; 02-25-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
After two weeks of promising to call me, Jaguar CRC in the UK finally decided to get in touch today on this topic.

We enter into a dialogue about how the subject of the quality of the sound system is actually something that many people are discussing and viewing across a number of the Jaguar forums and maybe should catch the attention of JLR to think about. To which their 'Social Media' person replies: "I am unfortunately unable to take into account the number of views a post has had as evidence of a concern." This particular thread and the other 2-3 Meridian Audio threads in the F-Type section now add-up to nearly 30,000 views.

If my social media person made this remark to me I think I may have had an interesting discussion with them about the voice of the customer, metrics, indicators and sentiment.

I knew Jaguar blocked their ears, now I know they block their eyes as well.
Yep, couldn't agree more, as you and I have discussed before Jaguar customer service at the corporate HQ levels is an absolute oxymoron. Absolutely and utterly worthless. It's stuff that like that prevents Jaguar from being a truly premium brand.

And any "social media person" that observed what this one observed either has no business whatsoever being a "social media"person or has their head stuck so far up corporate's *** that they refuse to acknowledge the blindingly obvious for fear of actually having to do something about it.

Either way, disappointing to hear, but sadly not too surprising....

Old 02-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by alexg
I'd rather spend $500 on tubes for my home pre/amplifier. The F-Type is a very poor listening environment. Its really a waste unless you are doing super long trips often and must have music.

The stock system should not rattle but it still does not make a loud noisy sports car a good listening environment.

alexg (03-31-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Autocar reviews F-Type R Coupe with Audio Resonance

This weeks Autocar (the leading UK motoring magazine) has reported on the same issue many of us have been experiencing with our Meridian Sound Systems.

They run a number of vehicles over several months to truly test them and this weeks article focuses on the rattling speakers.

The journalist John Mcilroy says “There aren’t any trim rattles to speak of - although oddly, one of the left-side speakers on the Meridian stereo system is resonating quite badly with certain frequencies of sound. You can hear it buzzing even above the tyre roar - and theres plenty of that on motorways.”

Well John, welcome to the club. Hopefully with you being a journalist in a prominent magazine, you'll get better luck in making JLR take notice. We've been trying for 18 months now!

I have my fingers and legs crossed.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone have details how to remove the door panel? I have a rattle on my passenger door that is slight but annoying (can hear it with the stereo and/or road condition noise). So like something is rattling against the panel, as when I apply firm pressure, it stops. Doesnt sound like it's worth a lost day at the dealer.

RobsnTX (03-19-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Perhaps, but very few base Meridian owners have reported problems here. I have none of the described problems with the base system and have tried it at painfully high volumes, and with plenty of bass. That may be because most people on the forum seem to be S and R purchasers, hence fewer base systems reported here.
This is so now true what you state. The base system is terrible, and mine rattle, sounds like a blown speaker and have to turn the base down to ridiculously low levels, where you only hear the highs, otherwise the speak door panels and speakers behind the seats rattle. It just flat out sucks, and needs to be addressed. Please don't guess at the % of folks with the base vs. upgraded systems, as you take them off of the hook. Mine is one day in my possession, and I wish I wouldn't have taken it until this was resolved. All other elements of the car are ok, but the stereo is atrociously not done well at all, and after paying what we pay, this shouldn't be the case!!!

Just saying, don't say what isn't true, as I have read a blend of both base and upgraded system(s) with the problem. Neither should have this issue, period end of story...."FULL STOP"!

mawheele (03-29-2015)

Quick Reply: Meridian Audio System