F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meridian Sound System...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 11:44 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Meridian Sound System...

Been jammin' on my 770 watt Meridian stereo system for past 3 years now. Sound awesome. But with my convertible, I've got the volume cranked up a little bit louder than normal. Now my 4" door speakers starting to rattle & making buzzing noise. Wondering if the speakers are coming loose from its enclosure & screws needs to be tighten, or if the speakers are starting to disintegrate & needs replacement.

Been checking out more info about this Meridian system below.
https://www.meridian-audio.com/in-ca...jaguar/f-type/
https://www.meridian-audio.com/media...t-a-glance.pdf
Does Meridian make their own speakers? are they quality / high end speakers? Or need to look at aftermarket brands replacement?

Meridian boasts about being rated #1 auto sound system, but I believe it only applies to their $3250, 1700 watts, 23 speakers system on the Range Rover:
https://www.meridian-audio.com/about...bile-magazine/
Sonic Booms: Putting 8 of the Best Car Audio Systems to the Test - Automobile
But doesn't apply to our measly 770 watt, 12 speakers on our F-type?

Old 01-14-2020, 12:05 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,151 Posts

The F-Type cabin is hardly the epitome of a perfect concert hall acoustic.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Been jammin' on my 770 watt Meridian stereo system for past 3 years now. Sound awesome. But with my convertible, I've got the volume cranked up a little bit louder than normal. Now my 4" door speakers starting to rattle & making buzzing noise. Wondering if the speakers are coming loose from its enclosure & screws needs to be tighten, or if the speakers are starting to disintegrate & needs replacement.

Been checking out more info about this Meridian system below.
https://www.meridian-audio.com/in-ca...jaguar/f-type/
https://www.meridian-audio.com/media...t-a-glance.pdf
Does Meridian make their own speakers? are they quality / high end speakers? Or need to look at aftermarket brands replacement?

Meridian boasts about being rated #1 auto sound system, but I believe it only applies to their $3250, 1700 watts, 23 speakers system on the Range Rover:
https://www.meridian-audio.com/about...bile-magazine/
Sonic Booms: Putting 8 of the Best Car Audio Systems to the Test - Automobile
But doesn't apply to our measly 770 watt, 12 speakers on our F-type?
Sounds like your Door speakers need to be replaced.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

I had bad speaker rattle on my 2017. Mostly the ones behind the passengers but also one in the door. Dealer applied a fix with some sound insulation / new mounting to remove vast majority of the vibration. Sounds much better!

Old 01-15-2020, 06:55 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

hah, I find this funny. When I bought my F the sales guy said the reason it didn't have voice control was that it was so loud the voice control would not work.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:22 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
hah, I find this funny. When I bought my F the sales guy said the reason it didn't have voice control was that it was so loud the voice control would not work.
... and it's rude to shout at an F-Type!

Old 01-16-2020, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Sounds like your Door speakers need to be replaced.
Dang.
I shoulda had dealer looked at the speakers when I was there for annual service last wkend.
If they took 1.5 hours for a simple oil change, Imagine how long it'll take for them to remove door panel to check. Most likely will have to order factory speakers since it's most likely not in stock, then more time to install...

Old 01-16-2020, 11:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've actually got mine at the dealer today for this. Told him last week the sound sucked and it rattled, so he ordered new speakers under warranty. I wasn't even trying for that, just answering his question.

The following users liked this post:
NavyBlue (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Dang.
I shoulda had dealer looked at the speakers when I was there for annual service last wkend.
If they took 1.5 hours for a simple oil change, Imagine how long it'll take for them to remove door panel to check. Most likely will have to order factory speakers since it's most likely not in stock, then more time to install...
If they need to be replaced (and it sounds like they do), if it's not a warranty item I would go with something non-OEM.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:13 PM

Just got it back. They replaced both rear subwoofers. Much better and no rattle. Not quite audiophile quality but at least i don't want to pull my ears off of my head as I'm driving down the highway anymore.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:35 PM

Wink, can u pls give us detailed steps to having your speakers replaced?
Sequence in calling dealer service dept, detailed issue, they ordered replacement factory speakers without u having to bring car in for checkup/inspection first?
How long for service? u waited, or have to leave car there awhile?

Old 01-17-2020, 06:44 AM

Wink, can u pls give us detailed steps to having your speakers replaced?
Sequence in calling dealer service dept, detailed issue, they ordered replacement factory speakers without u having to bring car in for checkup/inspection first?
How long for service? u waited, or have to leave car there awhile?
Sure. Had it in for regular maintenance last Thursday. The rep asked if there was anything else i wanted them to look at while it was in. I half jokingly said for the type of car it is, that stereo really sucks. He asked what I didn't like, and I stated that the bass sounded muffled, the treble was tinny and it rattled. Just bad overall sound. I've got a 2007 Civic daily driver and the stock stereo blows this one out of the water. So when i get the car back he told me they updated the amp, and to get rid of the rattle they will need to replace the subs. I was actually surprised because I wasn't really expecting it. Came back yesterday, they replaced both rear subs, it took about 1.5 hours (I work off of the next exit on the highway so I had them drop me at work and pick me up) and it does sound much better. Again, it's not the greatest but much improved.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
I had bad speaker rattle on my 2017. Mostly the ones behind the passengers but also one in the door. Dealer applied a fix with some sound insulation / new mounting to remove vast majority of the vibration. Sounds much better!
I need to do this.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

There is a TSB / special instructions for doing this. They order a kit with the padding materials to remount them better
It's definitely much better but not perfect. The meridian system in my 2010 XF sounds better as the speakers don't vibrate

The following users liked this post:
EasyEd (02-05-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,266 Likes on 2,410 Posts

There is a TSB / special instructions for doing this. They order a kit with the padding materials to remount them better
It's definitely much better but not perfect. The meridian system in my 2010 XF sounds better as the speakers don't vibrate
Pretty sure a 2010 XF has Bowers & Wilkins not Meridian, and JLR didn't switch over to Meridian until at least 2012.
I had the B&W surround sound system in my 2010 XFR (the 440W system not the full fat 1200W system) and it sounded great with zero speaker vibration regardless of settings or volume, I suspect you have the same system.
The 770W Meridian surround sound system I have in my F-Type sounds good with very little speaker vibration, but if I turn the sub setting way up I get some vibration on some tracks so I run it with the sub setting at 50% which is plenty for my tastes, not a fan of doof doof!

Old 01-24-2020, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
not a fan of doof doof!
what about the Doof wagon?

Old 01-24-2020, 05:15 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Wink5
Sure. Had it in for regular maintenance last Thursday. The rep asked if there was anything else i wanted them to look at while it was in. I half jokingly said for the type of car it is, that stereo really sucks. He asked what I didn't like, and I stated that the bass sounded muffled, the treble was tinny and it rattled. Just bad overall sound. I've got a 2007 Civic daily driver and the stock stereo blows this one out of the water. So when i get the car back he told me they updated the amp, and to get rid of the rattle they will need to replace the subs. I was actually surprised because I wasn't really expecting it. Came back yesterday, they replaced both rear subs, it took about 1.5 hours (I work off of the next exit on the highway so I had them drop me at work and pick me up) and it does sound much better. Again, it's not the greatest but much improved.
I didn't have any speakers replaced but had the amp software update applied to my car, and it helped a lot. It went from being very unpleasant to listen to music in the car, to being pretty good (still not GREAT). There are a few very long threads about that TSB in particular.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Pretty sure a 2010 XF has Bowers & Wilkins not Meridian, and JLR didn't switch over to Meridian until at least 2012.
Yes - of course you are spot on Oz! I meant B&W. I have the XF SC which is essentially the same as the XFR and I have that same B&W system. I've been very impressed with it and definitely not lacking in sound power

The F Type system seems average sound quality to me - much better once the vibrations are reduced. But maybe that's the compromise of a sports car - not designed for acoustics

Old 02-05-2020, 02:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know. I just got my R last weekend and the sound of the stereo is driving me crazy. I've tried all settings, adjusting base, treble, and the sub, fading front and back... still bad. I wasn't sure if it was just rattles from both or possibly blown speakers.

I plan to drive the car a bit longer to see if I can identify anything else before I take it in to the dealer, since they're about 50 miles away, on the other side of Phoenix, AZ.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:01 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

This is just my opinion but the meridian system in the F-type is not the best.

I had the 770W in my 2016 V6S and it went back to the dealer so many times for rattling and it was a brand new car.

My 2020 R is a little better although now the back speakers are starting to rattle.