F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meth/Water, Intercooler, NOS kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021 | 06:46 PM
|
Default Meth/Water, Intercooler, NOS kit

Just purchased the VAP ECU, TCU tune and pulley... looking forward to getting that installed next week. I also ordered the Mina Gallery Intake along with a set of ingen cannisters/hydrocovers and was planning on doing that with the intercooler and a meth/water kit whenever they all arrive. Not sure I really need to do anything with the exhaust but potentially a VAP tour/race system along with the 200 cell Cat, whenever the OEM cats die. Been toying with the idea of getting a new rear diffuser and going with quad exhaust since I would already be spending a good amount on upgrading, if I do decide to get a new exhaust. got quite a bit planned for this car in the next 2-3 months.

Just curious if anyone has done all of that along with nitrous? Does VAP provide tuning for all of this? Pulley, intake, intercooler, 200 Cell cat, exhaust, meth/water, NOS? I'm guessing with this much HP, I'll need to throw in a set of cooler plugs. Is this reasonably feasible or this just insane? I'm not looking to track this car as much as getting the most out of this V6 model. I won't be constantly pushing this car, just occasional quick sprints that I'd like to make a lot quicker. Honestly, would love to see this car in the 550-600 hp range if possible. Between that power, some of weight reductions I've made and the lighter V6 engine, this car should fly and continue to handle corners reasonably well.

If you're gonna be negative and try to start an argument about this, please start another thread... just looking for real user insight or guidance on where to look and/or research.

Old 09-14-2021 | 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by datriani
Is this reasonably feasible or this just insane?
200hp/liter is a whole lot to ask a stock bottom end to put up with.

Might do it for a dyno pass or two.. maybe a quarter mile run.

Pretty likely gonna put a rod through the block sooner than later though.

If you're gonna be negative and try to start an argument about this, please start another thread... just looking for real user insight or guidance on where to look and/or research.
If you actually want to do something crazy like this, you're looking at a whole lot more money and effort than it's worth to most people.

I've seen an endless number of threads like this over the few decades I've been on car forums, where ppl took being told how unreasonable their plans are as personal attacks.

1 out of 1000 of those ppl come back with a build thread and shut everybody tf up. Most of them realize their expectations were unreasonable and dial it back some.

Short version: if you do an engine build that'll hold up to that much added power, it almost doesn't matter what the power adder is. Nitrous, Turbo swap, bigger blower, whatever.. limiting factor is the structural integrity, not how much air/fuel you can stuff in the cylinder.

Old 09-14-2021 | 08:02 PM
|

Originally Posted by airthirtytwo
200hp/liter is a whole lot to ask a stock bottom end to put up with.

Might do it for a dyno pass or two.. maybe a quarter mile run.

Pretty likely gonna put a rod through the block sooner than later though.

If you actually want to do something crazy like this, you're looking at a whole lot more money and effort than it's worth to most people.

I've seen an endless number of threads like this over the few decades I've been on car forums, where ppl took being told how unreasonable their plans are as personal attacks.

1 out of 1000 of those ppl come back with a build thread and shut everybody tf up. Most of them realize their expectations were unreasonable and dial it back some.

Short version: if you do an engine build that'll hold up to that much added power, it almost doesn't matter what the power adder is. Nitrous, Turbo swap, bigger blower, whatever.. limiting factor is the structural integrity, not how much air/fuel you can stuff in the cylinder.
I really appreciate the considerate reply. Beyond the bolt on and tunes, is the meth kit the last reasonable mod before rebuilding this engine?

Old 09-14-2021 | 08:03 PM
Obi

Bottom end should be able to
support 600+ stock

Old 09-14-2021 | 08:38 PM

I really appreciate the considerate reply. Beyond the bolt on and tunes, is the meth kit the last reasonable mod before rebuilding this engine?
Reasonable is relative in my opinion but generally yeah, intake, exhaust, pulley, tune, cooling, weight reduction, wheels/tires are the basics. Pushing much further than that is a lot less common cause it starts costing a lot more for a lot less gain and a lot less reliability.

450hp rwd w/ an LSD, light wheels, good tires, and a good driver is gonna be really fast as is.

Originally Posted by Obi
Bottom end should be able to
support 600+ stock
We've argued this point before so I'm not trying to get into it with you.. but in case the OP is reading, the "stock" bottom end this guy refers to as proof it'll do 600+ was actually a 3.4L w/ titanium rods and forged pistons (the first and second things that'd break in a bottom end).

Edit: here's a good thread on the subject with commentary from the dude who built that ^ engine. Worth the read: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-there-225336/

Last edited by airthirtytwo; 09-14-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2021 | 05:42 AM
Obi

Reasonable is relative in my opinion but generally yeah, intake, exhaust, pulley, tune, cooling, weight reduction, wheels/tires are the basics. Pushing much further than that is a lot less common cause it starts costing a lot more for a lot less gain and a lot less reliability.

450hp rwd w/ an LSD, light wheels, good tires, and a good driver is gonna be really fast as is.

We've argued this point before so I'm not trying to get into it with you.. but in case the OP is reading, the "stock" bottom end this guy refers to as proof it'll do 600+ was actually a 3.4L w/ titanium rods and forged pistons (the first and second things that'd break in a bottom end).

Edit: here's a good thread on the subject with commentary from the dude who built that ^ engine. Worth the read: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-there-225336/
Argue is a funny word. Maybe you were attempting to argue… I was (and will continue to) to bring my my perspective.

1. OP has an AWD not rwd.
2. F type comes stock with forged rods and pistons. The forum member chose titanium rods to lower reciprocating weight

Old 09-15-2021 | 11:18 AM

I have no experience with N2O injection (seems like a terrible idea to me if you are interested in any sort of long-term ownership, but that's just inexpert opinion). On the subject of VAP support, I'd imagine if you are able to physically deliver your car to them or one of their distributors for testing it would be possible (albeit expensive). As far as remote tuning goes, I once inquired about some custom mapping options using the off the shelf service they advertise, and they were unable to accommodate my request.

To be clear, I love the tune I did receive, and have nothing but great things to say about the company and its products. But at that price point and delivery mechanism, it seems like any special requests aren't worth the associated risks.

Old 09-15-2021 | 11:36 AM
|

Thanks for the link, I did read that not too long ago but good to review it again.

I think you make a lot of good points. Going beyond 450 requires an exponential amount of research, trial and error, money and potential issues that most are not willing to take on…. You’re probably right about the 1 in a 1000 and I’m sure it’s more than that.

What I can say about myself is that if I listened to everyone who said I wouldn’t be able to play like Eddie Van Halen, I would have given up years ago. But I didn’t in the last 30 years, I’ve had a number of recording contract offers, played with some of my childhood idols, and have had many doors open for me.

If I had listened to everyone that introverts don’t do well in sales, I wouldn’t have taken that first job, been the top performer in a fortune 100 company and had my own/sold my own firm.

I do appreciate your perspective and insight but at the same time, I believe that almost everything is possible with some thought, hard work and resources (money and access) and I’m willing to push the envelope to see what’s possible and to learn something in the process.

Old 09-15-2021 | 11:38 AM
|

Originally Posted by Obi
Argue is a funny word. Maybe you were attempting to argue… I was (and will continue to) to bring my my perspective.

1. OP has an AWD not rwd.
2. F type comes stock with forged rods and pistons. The forum member chose titanium rods to lower reciprocating weight
Hi Obi

Correct I have AWD, thanks for catching that.

What are your thoughts on meth and NOS? Seems like meth is an easy one but the NOS doesn’t seem as prevalent for F type. Any advice on what the limits for NOS would be?

Old 09-15-2021 | 11:42 AM
|

Originally Posted by Hell Cat
I have no experience with N2O injection (seems like a terrible idea to me if you are interested in any sort of long-term ownership, but that's just inexpert opinion). On the subject of VAP support, I'd imagine if you are able to physically deliver your car to them or one of their distributors for testing it would be possible (albeit expensive). As far as remote tuning goes, I once inquired about some custom mapping options using the off the shelf service they advertise, and they were unable to accommodate my request.

To be clear, I love the tune I did receive, and have nothing but great things to say about the company and its products. But at that price point and delivery mechanism, it seems like any special requests aren't worth the associated risks.
Thank you for info about VAP tuning and additional support beyond the off the shelf tuning. Do they have a tuning for the addition of a meth/water set up?

Old 09-15-2021 | 12:28 PM
Obi

Hi Obi

Correct I have AWD, thanks for catching that.

What are your thoughts on meth and NOS? Seems like meth is an easy one but the NOS doesn’t seem as prevalent for F type. Any advice on what the limits for NOS would be?
Meth: A good investment. Cooling is actually the limiting factor on these engines; especially the awd. VAP will likely be able to custom tune it, ive contacted them with that specific request and they were receptive.

NOS: No experience with it, but have heard negatives in terms of longevity. If you do decide to go with it, the good thing is v6 engines aren't too expensive (compared to the v8).

Depending on budget, and access to a shop that does in-house fabrication Id probably consider a larger supercharger before NOS

Old 09-16-2021 | 10:34 AM

Been looking into this as well. Unfortunately not much support for the Jaguar platform. Not sure where you are located but if your on the east coast I would contact John behe if you want custom tunning done. He is still around and was willing to tune my car if I so desired. He was all for the water meth but didn’t seem to receptive to NOS. But I’m sure if you are willing to push the envelope, take the associated risks and you have the pockets for it he will probably go along. I’m still doing my research before I move forward with the build, plus I’m not entirely sure if I want to dig into the car that much. Working on some weight reduction right now and having some custom seat brackets fabricated for a swap of lightweight aftermarket seats. I’m definitely doing the meth kit and a port and polish of the S/C plus all the VAP mods I have already done. I would like to still work with vap and a local tuner. Sending vap some data logs of dyno runs and having them send me some upgraded maps based on that info. I’m sure this will be a bit expensive but I’m hoping vap will work with me through the process. Otherwise I’ll talk to John again and send the car to him. I say anything is possible with time money and the right team. If you are willing to go the distance I know there are a few of us that would be very excited to see the process and results.
BTW my car is a 2014 v8s
Good luck with the build.

Old 09-16-2021 | 01:02 PM
|

Originally Posted by Dibi
Been looking into this as well. Unfortunately not much support for the Jaguar platform. Not sure where you are located but if your on the east coast I would contact John behe if you want custom tunning done. He is still around and was willing to tune my car if I so desired. He was all for the water meth but didn’t seem to receptive to NOS. But I’m sure if you are willing to push the envelope, take the associated risks and you have the pockets for it he will probably go along. I’m still doing my research before I move forward with the build, plus I’m not entirely sure if I want to dig into the car that much. Working on some weight reduction right now and having some custom seat brackets fabricated for a swap of lightweight aftermarket seats. I’m definitely doing the meth kit and a port and polish of the S/C plus all the VAP mods I have already done. I would like to still work with vap and a local tuner. Sending vap some data logs of dyno runs and having them send me some upgraded maps based on that info. I’m sure this will be a bit expensive but I’m hoping vap will work with me through the process. Otherwise I’ll talk to John again and send the car to him. I say anything is possible with time money and the right team. If you are willing to go the distance I know there are a few of us that would be very excited to see the process and results.
BTW my car is a 2014 v8s
Good luck with the build.
I'm down in the Northern VA/DC area and have been looking for a tuner to work with as well and had the same thought of finding a VAP partnered shop. I found this shop on VAP site, https://www.hammllc.com and was planning on giving them a call to chat about what's possible. It's only a 2.5 hours away from me so not too bad. Is John Behe up in the Mass area?

At this point, this is what I have mapped out and I think everything up until stage 4 I can manage or have a local shop help me with. But it's really the supercharger and/or NOS that I'd need some professional help on.

Stage 1, I'm going through my car next week and changing out all of the fluids, throwing on cross drilled brakes, Porterfield pads, a set of 15mm spacers, upgrading the water pump, new plugs, belts, installing Mina Gallery intake and injen cannisters and doing the VAP ECU and Transmission tune and pulley.

Stage 2, I think the next items after that will be a set of 20" forged wheels with a set of MPSS or cup tires, 200 cel cats, VAP exhaust and a Meth kit.

Stage 3, After that it will probably more weight reduction like you mentioned, seats and whatever else that I can rip out. I've already taken out the engine cover, lighter springs, and other odds and ends but there's still more......

Stage 4 If I still want more, it's time to work on the supercharger. NOS seems like it's something that no one really support but I'm still interested in giving it a try and I think the key is "moderation." I need to do a ton more research on this.

Sounds like everything up until stage 4 is pretty well supported by most on this forum. Anything beyond, not a whole lot of information or real world experience. I'm interested in getting my car weighted after Stage 3 and getting it dyne'ed after stage 2 and 4.

Old 09-16-2021 | 01:29 PM

John Behe is in MD.
RPR Automotive ? Race ? Proven ? Results

I believe he was involved in tuning singlephilly’s car. I found his name on one of his threads on here. originally his shop was Behe performance. He is well know in the Porsche community.
Great guy and very knowledgeable.

Old 09-16-2021 | 01:58 PM
|

John Behe is in MD.
RPR Automotive ? Race ? Proven ? Results

I believe he was involved in tuning singlephilly’s car. I found his name on one of his threads on here. originally his shop was Behe performance. He is well know in the Porsche community.
Great guy and very knowledgeable.
Awesome, thank you. I just looked them up and looks like a solid shop. They're about 2.5 hours away as well but I have friends up that way so it wouldn't be a big deal to make that drive. I see they do custom tuning....wish I saw that before purchasing the VAP stuff but there's plenty more they can work on with this car.

I'll circle back after I chat with both companies to see what their thoughts are. Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2021 | 02:33 PM

great point, top end bolt-ons are usually more affordable and accessible; however, at a certain point you reach a limit - either a mechanical limit or cost. I also agree with the previous posts, if you want to make power, do it, but do it right. Failing to address the bottom end and internals with a plan like the one stated will likely not end well. It’s like having a black and white television and expecting 8k picture quality because you have great internet.

Last edited by gg2684; 09-16-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2021 | 03:03 PM

Awesome, thank you. I just looked them up and looks like a solid shop. They're about 2.5 hours away as well but I have friends up that way so it wouldn't be a big deal to make that drive. I see they do custom tuning....wish I saw that before purchasing the VAP stuff but there's plenty more they can work on with this car.

I'll circle back after I chat with both companies to see what their thoughts are. Thanks again.
Great. Let us know what the feedback is from both parties. Be interesting to see what Stewart and John approach might be and how they differ in the advice. I’m assuming they will both say what is mentioned here countless times…that once you get to a certain point the costs will increase exponentially and will push the build/car past the point of no return. But there are always trade offs. Still interesting to see where that threshold lies.

Old 09-16-2021 | 03:07 PM

Great. Let us know what the feedback is from both parties. Be interesting to see what Stewart and John approach might be and how they differ in the advice. I’m assuming they will both say what is mentioned here countless times…that once you get to a certain point the costs will increase exponentially and will push the build/car past the point of no return. But there are always trade offs. Still interesting to see where that threshold lies.
Indeed, like the previous post, I have seen a lot of lofty goals on car forums and far less results. I am staying tuned for sure!