Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Yesterday I took my car on the track with new Michelin Pilot Super Sport (MPSS) tires. What a difference! I am now firmly convinced that Pirelli Zero are not right for this car. I will go as far as suggesting anyone doing spirited driving to ditch Pirellis regardless of thread life and switch right away.

Impressions of Pirellis on the track:

1. Get greasy when too hot, this forces frequent pit stops to cool tires.
2. Don't provide enough grip at the back tires, with tail-happy car like F-type that is very noticeable. With MT, I lost traction going into THIRD gear with full throttle application.

Pros: Already there

Impressions of MPSS on the track:
1. Rear grip is solid, only from stop is it ever a concern
2. Can handle heat about at the same rate as brakes, twice as many laps as Pirelli are possible.
3. Easier to punch out at apex, as you a lot less likely to induce a drift

Cons: MPSS don't telegraph adhesion limit and can surprise you if you get carried away.

The following 7 users liked this post by SinF:
allenman85 (05-07-2016), JackMac (06-17-2016), JgaXkr (08-05-2016), Mulmur (05-07-2016), Panthro (01-19-2017), Smoke Em (05-07-2016), Uncle Fishbits (08-11-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-07-2016, 09:35 AM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

What tire pressures on each type tire...cold and hot , front and rear, info would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan

Old 05-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

I aim to get to 41psi when fully warmed up. Dash menus will tell you what are recommended pressures are for each application.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks SinF for the feedback on the tires. I can't wait to pick mine up, but won't be until the end of the year. Have too many projects and money laid out already for the summer.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:14 PM
LMS
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Just put them on mine, replacing the original P-Zeros. I don't track the car (convertible), but I did notice an improvement in handling. One negative - noticeably louder than the Pirellis, but I'll live with it.

The following users liked this post:
Smoke Em (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by LMS
Just put them on mine, replacing the original P-Zeros. I don't track the car (convertible), but I did notice an improvement in handling. One negative - noticeably louder than the Pirellis, but I'll live with it.
Its interesting that you found them louder, I found the PSS quieter, although when I finally changed them out, the P-zeros where worn on the front, or at least a bit 'cupped' along the edge so they where extra noisy.
Lawrence.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LMS
Thank you LMS for the feedback. I will be completely swapping out the interior stereo system to drown out any road noise. For those really peaceful days, just turn the radio off the back mountain roads and listen to that beautiful exhaust sound (Snap, Crackle, Pop).. LOL

Old 05-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I'm contemplating a track weekend (NASA HPDE at Sonoma) coming up soon, but would probably have to run the P-Zeros. I don't think I can find time to get them replaced before then. Oh, and the cost. Yeah, that too. I can't really justify replacing them with so much life left. Some serious abuse might be what they need.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:14 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LMS

I agree; I just put PSS's on Friday(700 mi on the Pirellis). Noisier but better handling. The noise surprises me and other MIchelins on previous cars have always been quieter than OEM tires of any brand.

Larry

Old 05-08-2016, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm planning to replace my tyres in about a month/six weeks, and as the consensus through multiple threads here and on other forums is to go with the Michelin PSS that is what I will order.

Normally I just read the sizes from the existing tyres and order the same sizes, but I'm not happy with the low rim protection on the factory Pirelli tyres so I have a quick question for those who swapped to the PSS ones.

If you have the stock sizes of 255/35/20 front and 295/30/20 rear, do the PSS offer any rim protection? I'm talking about a buffer for creeping-speed alignment errors, not taking a 5mph crunch which I doubt any tyre would protect. i.e. something that will give feedback before it scrapes the alloy. I have the diamond cut forged storm wheels and found that one rear rim can't be recut because of some kerbing damage, so I would rather sacrifice a £250 tyre than a £750 wheel if that happens again.

I have read lots of forum posts on the interwebs written by very intelligent people who know all about tyres. Most of it goes over my head. I am someone whose tyre knowledge consists of a) they are round, and b) they are usually black. With that in mind, is there any advantage to going for 265/35/20 front and 305/30/20 rear to gain a little extra over the rim edges? The PSS seem to have rounder corners than the PZeros.

I don't track the car at all, although it does see a bit of sidewards force every few weekends. I don't want to negatively change the handling of the car but I don't mind a bit of increased road noise as long as it is not excessive.

Lastly, the same version of PSS doesn't seem to be available in both front and rear sizes. I see K1, K2 for the front and MO and BMW versions available in the rear sizes. Prices are almost identical. Is there a preference as to which to select, and does it matter having different versions fitted?

Thank you!

Old 05-08-2016, 01:06 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Interested in this as I currently run MPSS on my 370z at the moment
Tyre noise on the Nisaan is awful but the michellins are quieter than potenzas that were oem

Old 05-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

here's my mechanic and tire guy, he said why bother, use them and we'll change them later.... I'll take his word for it.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

I just ordered PSS's (and plan to have a last "fling" on the P-Zero's when they arrive). For anyone that's interested, I'm getting them from Costco. The rear tires don't show up on their on-line system, but the store can get them and they have the machinery to handle the size. (When I went in to ask about the size availability, the guy at the counter immediately asked "Is this for that F-Type out in the lot? Don't worry, we'll take care of it.")

Costco's price was good and includes installation and road hazard. Also, there is currently a $70 rebate.

Front (2) $579.98
Back (2) $ 771.50
TPMS (4) $ 11.96
Sales Tax: $102.26
Total: $1,465.70
Rebate: $- 70.00

The following 2 users liked this post by uncheel:
jaguny (05-12-2016), Smoke Em (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Question to those who are commenting the PSS's are noisier, what tire size did you purchase? OEM stock size or other?
I up-sized to 305ZR/30/20 on the rear and kept the front at OEM spec and this set up is definitely a lot quieter, a smoother ride when cruising, and far better bite in performance mode.
I would wag the tail often without trying and chirp tires on nearly every shift with the crappy PZoos. Now with the PSS, the back end rarely breaks loose unless I really try and tire spin is almost impossible except in launch from a dead stop.

Last edited by IronMike; 05-08-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
I'm planning to replace my tyres in about a month/six weeks, and as the consensus through multiple threads here and on other forums is to go with the Michelin PSS that is what I will order.

Normally I just read the sizes from the existing tyres and order the same sizes, but I'm not happy with the low rim protection on the factory Pirelli tyres so I have a quick question for those who swapped to the PSS ones.

If you have the stock sizes of 255/35/20 front and 295/30/20 rear, do the PSS offer any rim protection? I'm talking about a buffer for creeping-speed alignment errors, not taking a 5mph crunch which I doubt any tyre would protect. i.e. something that will give feedback before it scrapes the alloy. I have the diamond cut forged storm wheels and found that one rear rim can't be recut because of some kerbing damage, so I would rather sacrifice a £250 tyre than a £750 wheel if that happens again.

I have read lots of forum posts on the interwebs written by very intelligent people who know all about tyres. Most of it goes over my head. I am someone whose tyre knowledge consists of a) they are round, and b) they are usually black. With that in mind, is there any advantage to going for 265/35/20 front and 305/30/20 rear to gain a little extra over the rim edges? The PSS seem to have rounder corners than the PZeros.

Thank you!
One of the first things I noticed with the PSS's mounted. I too had a minor brush of a curb and was surprised how little protection the PZoos provided.

With 305's on the rear, the tire beads over the rim by a solid 10 - 12mm.

One would have to smack a curb pretty hard to damage the rim.
Since I maintained OEM spec on the front, the bead is half that shown on the rear, but still better protection than stock tires.

The following 3 users liked this post by IronMike:
BostonKiller (05-09-2016), JgaXkr (05-08-2016), xdave (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
One of the first things I noticed with the PSS's mounted. I too had a minor brush of a curb and was surprised how little protection the PZoos provided.

With 305's on the rear, the tire beads over the rim by a solid 10 - 12mm.

One would have to smack a curb pretty hard to damage the rim.
Since I maintained OEM spec on the front, the bead is half that shown on the rear, but still better protection than stock tires.
Thanks... good to know.
Do you notice any handling difference with the wider rear tire?
Lawrence

Old 05-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Thank you Mike, that is exactly what I was looking for and that photo was very helpful too.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Thanks... good to know.
Do you notice any handling difference with the wider rear tire?
Lawrence
Haven't had a chance to get the PSS to the track, nor have I done any spirited winding roads since dumping the zeros, so my handling experience thus far has been limited to city streets and freeways. Overall, the car feels better balanced, more planted, and seems to track in a straight line better, as if the zeros front and rear were fighting one another.

Around a tight 90-degree intersection corner, it was getting dangerously comical how easily the zeros would get loose, and the sideways slide would begin, unless I drove like grandpa. On the Michelins, I can definitely get back into the throttle much sooner.

The best way to summarize the difference; the F-Type feels like it was bred, engineered and tuned to run on PSS tires. The PZeros were a fricken joke.

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Personally, I do not think that MPSS are loud, I certainly don't hear them when driving top down or up. YMMV.

For installing these, I highly recommend doing it at a shop that has dynamic balancer (e.g. Road Force). My Jag dealer has one, so I did it through them.

If anyone is concerned, IronMike's picture is somewhat misleading. Sure, lip is there but you can't see it unless you are as close as he was when that picture was taken.

Last edited by SinF; 05-08-2016 at 04:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
Panthro (01-20-2017), Uncle Fishbits (08-11-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 07:22 PM
LMS
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Question to those who are commenting the PSS's are noisier, what tire size did you purchase? OEM stock size or other?

Stock size.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport