F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014 | 01:35 PM
|
Default Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires

FYI, as expected, the PSS tires are a big upgrade over the OEM PZero's. Rear end is a little more planted and steering feel is more immediate. Loving the change.

The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal Dave:
OzRisk (07-08-2015), Panthro (03-30-2016)
Old 05-17-2014 | 01:55 PM

This will be the change I make when my OEM P Zeros are up. Not that the P Zero is a bad tire, but it's not as good as the PSS.

Attached Thumbnails Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires-screen-shot-2014-05-17-11.54.15-am.png  
Old 05-17-2014 | 05:16 PM

ohh cool! I had Pilots on the Lotus and loved them. I'm glad they work well on the F

Old 05-28-2014 | 08:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Just make sure you put a lot of air and camber in if you go to the track because they have pretty soft side walls and the edges just get chewed up in a weekend.

Old 05-28-2014 | 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wlw@RSC
Just make sure you put a lot of air and camber in if you go to the track because they have pretty soft side walls and the edges just get chewed up in a weekend.
Wow! This post came as a total surprise to me. I was just about to commit to this tire for my XKR, until I've read this post.

Would you please clarify what car, weight and tire sizes have you experienced this edge wear with? How much pressure and camber do you suggest with this tire?

I am most surprised because today's low profile tires have extremely stiff sidewalls in general where we don't have to worry about chewing up the edges and sidewalls. I generally consider up to -1.5 degree camber with cold tire pressures of 32-34 to be quite sufficient for cars that see hard street and occasional track driving on modern 20", 30-35 series tires.

Your post got me concerned because I live in an area where 90 percent of roads are tight and winding and I do like to take advantage of them. I would hate to see the edges wear off prematurely while the rest of the tire thread is still like new. I do have to deal exactly with that issue on my other cars with taller tire sidewalls and non-adjustable, close to zero factory camber settings.

Old 05-28-2014 | 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

The PSS on my XKR on the track are 38 PSI front and 36 rear hot. I have no problems with side walls and the wear characteristics on the track are perfect with -1.8 front camber and -1.7/-2.0 rear.

If I can find a picture after a track day on this PC I'll post them, I always take pictures and temps of the tires after each session.

Old 05-28-2014 | 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Heres a tire from each corner after the third session of the day. This is from PBIR which is notoriously hard on tires. The left side takes the biggest beating o on this track as all the fast corners are to the right.

These tires also have 5k miles of street driving and another track day on them. They still look great and will see homestead next Friday.

Attached Thumbnails Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires-wp_20140315_15_50_19_pro.jpg   Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires-wp_20140315_16_33_34_pro.jpg   Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires-wp_20140315_16_34_21_pro.jpg   Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires-wp_20140315_16_34_11_pro.jpg   Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires-wp_20140315_16_33_05_pro.jpg  

Last edited by MaximA; 05-28-2014 at 12:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
axr6 (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014 | 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
The PSS on my XKR on the track are 38 PSI front and 36 rear hot. I have no problems with side walls and the wear characteristics on the track are perfect with -1.8 front camber and -1.7/-2.0 rear.

If I can find a picture after a track day on this PC I'll post them, I always take pictures and temps of the tires after each session.
Thanks, Max!

Out of curiosity, do you have saved temperature readings (outside, center, inside) for the front and rear tires? Just interested to see how the cambers are working at the track. Those tires indeed look fine.

Old 05-28-2014 | 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

I dont have the temps on this computer but will take a look when I get home. I know they were quite hot that day but stuck like glue... Very predictable tire that gradually slides as you pass the limit and doesn't snap back and upset the balance of the car when traction is regained. They make driving smoothly very easy, a really great tire.

Old 05-29-2014 | 12:01 PM
|

Originally Posted by MaximA
Heres a tire from each corner after the third session of the day. This is from PBIR which is notoriously hard on tires. The left side takes the biggest beating o on this track as all the fast corners are to the right.

These tires also have 5k miles of street driving and another track day on them. They still look great and will see homestead next Friday.
Are those wheels plus sized for the width of the tires??? They do look a bit oversized.

My experience with the F-Type on track day wear is that the default factory setting for camber resulted in very even wear across the tire. I did not opt for the more aggressive camber setting offered by the tire shop (Stokes Tire/Santa Monica).

And I have found that hot tire pressures on all four corners of 32 produced the best results to my liking. Cold pressures of 26 on all four got me right there. I found the car to be tail happy on any higher pressure making it harder to get the power down out of the corners. Results may vary!!! LOL.

Old 05-29-2014 | 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

20x9 1/2 front and 20x11 rear and 265 front and 295 rear tires.

I'm sure your air pressure requirements are different. Hot tire presses will vary widely depending on track surface, ambient air temp, brake temp, direction of turns on the track, speed of turns, driving style, and 100 other things. You just have to find a pressure that you are happy with and measure it hot and after your happy with the suspension setup.

Old 05-29-2014 | 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal Dave
Are those wheels plus sized for the width of the tires??? They do look a bit oversized.

My experience with the F-Type on track day wear is that the default factory setting for camber resulted in very even wear across the tire. I did not opt for the more aggressive camber setting offered by the tire shop (Stokes Tire/Santa Monica).

And I have found that hot tire pressures on all four corners of 32 produced the best results to my liking. Cold pressures of 26 on all four got me right there. I found the car to be tail happy on any higher pressure making it harder to get the power down out of the corners. Results may vary!!! LOL.
Dave, are those the pressures you use for the street too? (26 cold)?

Old 05-30-2014 | 05:22 PM
|

Originally Posted by swajames
Dave, are those the pressures you use for the street too? (26 cold)?
No - I use factory recommended numbers on the street. Heat build up from pushing the car on the track is good for ~6 psi.

swajames (05-30-2014)
Old 06-02-2014 | 11:34 AM

Corsa Has stiffer side walls and does not roll as much , but not quite as good in the damp

Old 06-03-2014 | 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by swajames
This will be the change I make when my OEM P Zeros are up. Not that the P Zero is a bad tire, but it's not as good as the PSS.
I'm going to do the same!
Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested - Comparison Test - Car and Driver

ungineer (06-03-2014)
Old 06-04-2014 | 08:41 AM
Nij

Hey MaximA was reading through some posts on the F-Type and wanted some first hand track reliability info regarding engine, transmission temperatures and breaking feel. I live in FL and do want to use the F-type for track days at PBIR, Sebring and Homestead. I wanted to also know how many hard laps you can get in before you need to allow it to cool down? I have had 911 turbos and a GTR but was seriously thinking about a F-Type R that would have put up with some track days.
Thanks

Old 06-05-2014 | 04:02 AM

Question , why are people comparing tyres and temps & wear rates on 2 totally different cars that have totally different C/Rates , suspension and weights and wheel-base ?

Old 06-06-2014 | 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

This was on a z06 at mid-ohio.

I was just trying to save someone a set of fronts if they drive on the track and don't already have a pretty aggressive air and camber setup, not trying to diss the tires.

I did stop using them as a track tires and switched to a less grippy BF Goodrich G-Force rival with a stiffer sidewall and a little more heat tolerance.

Max, when we getting on Iracing together lol!

Last edited by Wlw@RSC; 06-06-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2014 | 08:49 PM

PSS are a great tire and have lots of fans in the 997 world so I would suspect the same here. I did some track events in my Turbo S but used Pirelli Trefro R-Comps. Very sticky and very stiff sidewall tires that liked low pressures. (30-32 psi hot)

I do have a question for you other F-Types out there. Is there a way to see what the TPMS pressures are? I was unable to find the answer to this question in the manual.
On the track I utilized the Porsche TPMS screen exclusively to ensure I stayed under 32 psi. Each session I had to let air out to do so.

Thanks, Walt

Old 06-07-2014 | 02:23 PM

Yes you can but a real faff on the JLR cars go to service menu after a 20 min run and you can see them , Porsche system is far easier to view at any time of day

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires