F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015 | 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
This is mostly because its the only other tire available in the stock sizes, outside of a Conti track tire. I personally would prefer something other than the PSS, i've seen them chunk on the edges during hard cornering and think there are better options out there, but its gonna take time for manufactures to start making them.
The Nitto Motivo comes in the OEM 20" sizes as well.

The following users liked this post:
Stohlen (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015 | 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
An all-season it looks like. I will be honest, I have never heard of that tire haha.

Old 06-05-2015 | 01:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
An all-season it looks like. I will be honest, I have never heard of that tire haha.
Half the price, twice the tread life, 4 times the value. Oh wait...what about traction?: unknown, but doubtful. Toyo brand.

Old 06-05-2015 | 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy

I had those on my Nissan 350Z. They are a pretty good all around tire. Pretty quiet compared to some others I have tried. Good in wet conditions too. I never tracked them... (They are Z rated or better though)

The Z also has 300 hp, not the 550 of the new R Coupe...

Old 06-05-2015 | 01:36 PM

Question about rim & tire insurance. I want to go with the PSS after the Pirelli's are done but I'm pretty sure they won't replace a tire that is not OEM right?

Old 06-05-2015 | 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dremorg
Question about rim & tire insurance. I want to go with the PSS after the Pirelli's are done but I'm pretty sure they won't replace a tire that is not OEM right?
Read the fine print and exclusions in the contract. Mine will replace with like tire as long as they meet OEM specs. Im getting one replaced now with a stock P Zero, but once i wear them out and switch to Michelins, I am NOT buying certificates from the tire shop as I will still be covered for damages. They will not cover racing tires though, so no drag slicks.

Dremorg (06-08-2015)
Old 06-05-2015 | 05:54 PM
Ton

So I just ordered 2 x 305/30R20 Pirelli Pzero Corsa, throgh the Jaguar dealer, at $512 each I thought it was not that bad of a deal, in comparison to the regular Pirellis. I called the dealer to ask if they would fit, no one could give me an answer and the last guy that picked up the phone said he didn't know but as long as I pay for them he will install them.

I now am thinking I could have installed (4) stock size PSS instead for $300 more....

-Antonio

Old 07-01-2015 | 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

For those still looking for 20" Pilot Super Sports, try Walmart. My son just got a set ordered/delivered to the store. The only "problem" was they apologized that they couldn't install them. (Like he was going to turn his 911 Turbo over to them to begin with.)

Dremorg (07-01-2015)
Old 07-14-2015 | 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ton
So I just ordered 2 x 305/30R20 Pirelli Pzero Corsa, throgh the Jaguar dealer, at $512 each I thought it was not that bad of a deal, in comparison to the regular Pirellis.
Tell us how those work out. I was thinking of going with a pair of those for the rear too.

Old 07-28-2015 | 09:14 PM

Had PSS's installed today and it is like a whole new car (stock sizes). The ride is a lot more composed, The handling limits are higher, the turn in is crisper. They are also not as noisy as the Pirellis. I would never have believed that there could be so much difference between 2 competitively matched tires, at least in this application. IMHO, the best upgrade you can make with this car.

Dremorg (07-29-2015)
Old 07-28-2015 | 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Zeke
Had PSS's installed today and it is like a whole new car (stock sizes). The ride is a lot more composed, The handling limits are higher, the turn in is crisper. They are also not as noisy as the Pirellis. I would never have believed that there could be so much difference between 2 competitively matched tires, at least in this application. IMHO, the best upgrade you can make with this car.
I agree it's probably a better tire, but I'm surprised you'd notice higher handling limits on the same day you had them installed, unless your PZeros were flat worn out. They're not even broken in yet. and the perception of crisper turn in could be due to the fact that they're still a little slippery. All new tires need a break-in period of a few hundred miles before they grip as they should.

However, like you, I always feel like a new set of tires feels better than what I drove to the tire shop with. The mind plays tricks on you that way.

Old 07-28-2015 | 11:39 PM

I disagree that a break in period of hundred(s) of miles on any tire is necessary to get a feel for them. In my experience, in street use, tires only need to scuff up a bit, get the mold release off, and get some heat in them and they are good to go.

IMHO an hour on the new rubber should be more than enough seat time to start drawing comparisons, especially in warm weather. If the OP can tell a difference on day one that's valid from where I am sitting. By day five he will probably have forgotten what the pirellis felt like. The contrast is never going to be as fresh as it is on day one.

BTW, thanks for the input on the PSS option. With only three choices on tire rack it's nice to hear anything about tire options. I am still waiting to hear from someone who dropped the extra coin on the Continentals before I buy anything, but I am leaning away from OEM at this point, based on this thread and others.

Old 07-29-2015 | 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nookieman
I disagree that a break in period of hundred(s) of miles on any tire is necessary to get a feel for them. In my experience, in street use, tires only need to scuff up a bit, get the mold release off, and get some heat in them and they are good to go.

IMHO an hour on the new rubber should be more than enough seat time to start drawing comparisons, especially in warm weather. If the OP can tell a difference on day one that's valid from where I am sitting. By day five he will probably have forgotten what the pirellis felt like. The contrast is never going to be as fresh as it is on day one.

BTW, thanks for the input on the PSS option. With only three choices on tire rack it's nice to hear anything about tire options. I am still waiting to hear from someone who dropped the extra coin on the Continentals before I buy anything, but I am leaning away from OEM at this point, based on this thread and others.
Perhaps, and you're entitled to your opinion, but tire experts always refer to a break-in period of few hundred miles. However, the more relevant point is you're comparing new tires to old when you drive out of the tire shop on new rubber, which is not the best comparison. You're also expecting the new tires to be better, and self-fulfilling prophecies are powerful shapers of perception.

I appreciate the review as well, and I will absolutely switch to the PSS when the time comes.

Old 07-29-2015 | 08:20 AM

I'm thinking of the Continental Extreme DW, but currently I have only 6700 km on the car so its not time yet.

Old 07-29-2015 | 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by themeatbaron
I'm thinking of the Continental Extreme DW, but currently I have only 6700 km on the car so its not time yet.
Me too if that is the conti on tire rack that is advertised as a track/street combo. I am hoping someone tries them first. With 12,000 miles on my tires the rears are visibly worn and I can feel a drop in grip at both ends. The top line contis seem like a great tire for the fronts but I am concerned they won't last well at the other end. I also suspect that they might be too grippy to allow the rear end to get loose on my favorite back roads.

I am half tempted to go with pirellis or PSS at the rear and contis at the front. My thought is that with softer fronts all four might wear out at the same time, and the very slight under steer might go away. Then again, perhaps a performance alignment would work just as well.

Last edited by Nookieman; 07-29-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2015 | 08:59 AM

I'll keep you posted when I make a move, I've had my car since May, it's my daily driver so it's not like it will take me years to wear the tires.

Old 07-29-2015 | 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

I put Conti on my '08 TT and really liked them. My SLK55 came with Merc specific Conti and they were great, more $$$ than DW. Rear wore out at 6k but that is the car more than tires. That said I'm putting PSS on Jag as soon as I can justify it. 8k and rears are starting to show wear. If you read Tire Rack survey it's a know brainer unless you go to track, then there many choices, but you sacrifice street comfort.

Old 07-29-2015 | 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

I have switched back and forth between P-zeros and PSSs on 3 different cars and the PSSs have always and very noticeably out performed the P-zeros. In fact, as a result of my experience with these tires, I installed the PSSs after only 35 miles on the new car. Huge difference in handling, tire noise and ride comfort. Some of the handling improvement can be attributed to the Lower profile 20" PSSs (vs the original and narrower 19" pirellis) but the improvement in ride comfort with the lower profile PSSs is surprising.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-30-2015 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-30-2015 | 02:41 AM

im running on the 20" tornados i hear a lot of praise on the PPS, but im even intrested in the Trofeo Rs i wonder how that will make the f type r preform on track and on a daily basis

Old 08-10-2015 | 07:52 PM

I really wanted to try the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti but the fronts were not available for another 30-60 days and I can't wait that long. Although the Pirelli P Zeros were not at the wear bars the tire was scary in the rain (16500 miles). Tire rack delivered extremely fast. Installed the Michelins this afternoon.

Attached Thumbnails Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires-11873444_10207307306550156_1005429017305457494_n.jpg  

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires