F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Sport 4S vs MPSS

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I can't for the life of me figure out why Jaguar put the p zero's on the car in the first place.
Betcha it has something to do with $$.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had the Michelin 4S's installed on my '15 R, after a quick test drive I could not be happier. P Zero's should not even be on this car, I thought the Goodyear Run Flats on my past Vettes were terrible, the P Zero's are downright scary. Even being 42 degrees here today, they get an unbelievable amount of grip, and pretty quiet as well.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (11-19-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Regarding the new Tesla Roadster...
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/7diia4/new_tesla_roadster_claims_to_do_060_in_19_secs/

Smart people, I only paste the Reddit thread and not article because of the calculations being done in the top comments.

Is there really no tire on the planet that could handle that kind of torque?

Old 11-17-2017, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I presume the original article doesn't bother to explain that 0-60 in 1.9 secs and a 620 mile range are mutually exclusive?

Old 11-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I presume the original article doesn't bother to explain that 0-60 in 1.9 secs and a 620 mile range are mutually exclusive?

0-60 in 1.9 *with* 14 mile range. Lol

Old 01-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Cambo, if you decide to get the 4S then your best bet is to import them from the good ol' US of A, the price over there is about half what you will pay in Oz even allowing for the exchange rate. On the downside the cost of postage/shipping is a bit steep, but you will still come out well ahead. In the past I have bought tyres from Tire Rack this way, big savings and good service, there may be other sellers in the US with even cheaper prices that also ship to Oz.
Tempe can deliver a set for 17xx Aus wide

Been so impressed with them on my m3, going to switch from the mpss to ps4s a bit prematurely at 12k kms

Last edited by domino_z; 01-23-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:01 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FullChat
Surprised to hear this. My Base came with Conti's, and I think they are simply terrible but I haven't had other tires on it to compare. Noisy, rough ride, greasy feeling, treacherous in the wet, no rear grip - I'm actively trying to burn them off so I can get Michelins!
What Conti's are you talking about please?

Old 01-23-2018, 01:25 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Don1954
What Conti's are you talking about please?
SportContact 2. Came stock on my Base. Please don't tell me that they're great and it's the car, not the tires :-)))) I'm really hoping that getting Michelin's will improve things a lot.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

i use conti sport contact 6 and i have monster grip i continue to try and i push the car very hard

i don't immagine that tyres are so good

Old 01-24-2018, 04:51 AM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

I removed near new Pzero "PZ4" J spec from my SVR as on all my cars which alarmingly came fitted with Pzero form factory all had unpredictable handling and in the RWD 911 and Mustang made them almost frightening.

In an AWD having a lesser grip tyre is not end of the world as the AWD will always do a good job at collecting up the mess.

On the F Type as all my other cars I was lacking confidence on the Pzero "PZ4" in cold wet conditions, the car when it let go was quite sudden and abrupt, of course the AWD always put it right or the TC would cut in and straighten the car quite violently. As such I always kept the TC on which as people will know in the cold and wet if you punch it hard in 2nd or 3rd in a straight line at higher RPM can interrupt power delivery by a millisecond due to TC activating briefly, even though in a straight line there was no need but the car was detecting some very minimal slip.

Also on a test roundabout, very large so room for a spin if you really mess up my SVR in the wet could enter at 38mph, at this point turn in would be met by very mild understeer if you turned in too aggressive and on exit quite abrupt over steer unless you really eased gently into the power.

Now I am on PS4S, even on day 1 with release agent still within tyres, the car just felt so much more planted and confident inspiring. Now a couple of days later and over 100 miles the release agent will of course nearly be gone.

My confidence levels are so much high I've now even started to drive the car in the wet with the DSC in the track mode setting as now even though grip levels are higher, resulting in higher corner speeds when the grip does run out the slide is more progressive and because the car is in track mode the car no longer abruptly intervenes violently, now a slide is progressive and the car does as instructed or it naturally straightens by itself depending on steering angle and throttle input.

On the same roundabout, I am yet to find the new limits, but now a 40mph entry, an aggressive turn in is met with a very direct front-end with no understeer whatsoever and the exit I can get to 75-100% throttle application with a very small slide angle without TC intervening resulting in the car just absoluteley catapulting from a roundabout in great style but still feeling very RWD which I love about the SVR, it has that RWD balance, but security of AWD to pull you out a corner when it gets a bit ragged when in the track DSC setting.

Remember my Pzero PZ4 version are only 6 months old, 7mm front and 6mm rear so they are like new, so this difference cannot be put down to replacing near worn with brand new tyres.

In short irrelevant of what magazine or video test say I simply find Pzero lacking in confidence and absolute grip levels.

I've now had Pzero on an E46 M3, 911 C2S (997.1), Ford S550 Mustang V8 and now the SVR. On every car they had an unpredictable nature in wet conditions, in the dry they were always fine, though a bit soft feeling when hot.

On all the above cars I either went to Michelin PS2, MPSS, cups or PS4S and on every single car the difference was dramatic, particular on the 911 and Mustang which can get really out of shape if you lose them in the wet, the 911 due to being rear engine and the Mustang because the S550 chassis is not the best and I am not a pro driver so I need a very well balanced and predictable car.

In short Michelin>Pirelli !!

My only conclusion is Pirelli must sell tyres very cheap to OEM's for them to be supplied on many high-end factory cars and as to why they win so many group test I am unsure as I am yet to have a good experience with Pirelli tyres.

SinF (01-24-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
My only conclusion is Pirelli must sell tyres very cheap to OEM's for them to be supplied on many high-end factory cars and as to why they win so many group test I am unsure as I am yet to have a good experience with Pirelli tyres.
I might start a reddit thread about this. I was at lunch the other day with a guy who owns a Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, and although mature enough (read that as old) to know how to drive, his came w/ Pzero's. He thinks they are wildly dangerous, especially for the state of modern cars off the lot being equipped with too much horsepower for young / inexperienced drivers.

This guy grew up racing muscle cars, so he knows what he is doing, but he almost went sideways on his P-Zeros, and immediately drove to remove those tires, and put on Super sports.... he said it's like night and day.

But we all know this... so the idea that Pirelli is selling crappy tires to get on high end cars is really interesting to me. I want to know more about the economics and what's going on.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
[...]

But we all know this... so the idea that Pirelli is selling crappy tires to get on high end cars is really interesting to me. I want to know more about the economics and what's going on.
A few cars back my car came equipped with OEM tires that were to all appearances identical to a common tire, but had an "A" suffix on the designation and were OEM-specific. My recollection is that they were designed to squeeze out just a little more fuel economy, since that does translate into some increase in sales.

I'd suspect a combination of:

- slightly better fuel economy for the window sticker
- reduced cost for better profit margin
- "good enough" for most drivers

On that last point, some drivers of high-end cars will replace the tires with their choice regardless of how good the OEM is, as long as it is not their favorite.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have what may be a dumb question. I am looking to buy Mich Pilot SS tires tonight and while on the Costco website I see that the rear 295's come in a 9 or 10 tread depth and the front are a 7 tread depth. Both the 9 and 10 see to have identical specs (including 30k mile 'warranty') with the one exception being tread depth. Can someone help me understand why I might want one over the other?

Old 02-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Rather than start a new open ended tire thread - since I've seen a variety of tires discussed here I'll add to it. I note on the Tire Rack website they speak highly of the Firestone Indy tires - they are priced a good bit less than these others. My local tire bud (who I've raced cars with coming up on 30 years) sells locally to all the performance oriented. He is unbiased regarding the label. He has been getting excellent feedback on the Firestones - consistent with the videos I reviewed on Tire Rack. Does anyone have any personal experience? I'm down around 4/32 on the rear - so those need change soon. Objective input would be appreciated.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I wouldn't go Firestone even with your buddy's recommendation. 95% of people here say the Michelin Sport 4S is the best choice.

If you were on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and the audience said 'C" was the correct answer by 95% would you still choose A, B, or D?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
I wouldn't go Firestone even with your buddy's recommendation. 95% of people here say the Michelin Sport 4S is the best choice.

If you were on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and the audience said 'C" was the correct answer by 95% would you still choose A, B, or D?
I personally would reserve judgement (in either direction) until someone does an unbiased set of track tests. Of course, until then I’ll keep buying the proven commodity.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I would spend more time reading reviews before buying non- MPS4S.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...e-test-feature

jaguny (02-12-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm finally looking to swap out my original Pirellis with the 4S, except I'm swapping my current 20s with my original 19s (had them resprayed in "smoked chrome" ages ago and been dying to see what they look like, plus I need to get the 20s refurbed!).

Only problem is, the 4S is not available for the fronts in the usual 245/40/19 size. I can go for 235/40 or 245/35, but being a numpty, I have no idea if either of these are a bad idea or not?

One of the main UK tyre websites is suggesting Pilot Sport 4 on the front and 4S on the rear but this definitely doesn't sound smart to me...

Old 03-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Id be interested in hearing if anyone had any experience in the Sport Cup 2's vs the 4S. Supposedly the sport cup 2's still have better traction.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
I'm finally looking to swap out my original Pirellis with the 4S, except I'm swapping my current 20s with my original 19s (had them resprayed in "smoked chrome" ages ago and been dying to see what they look like, plus I need to get the 20s refurbed!).

Only problem is, the 4S is not available for the fronts in the usual 245/40/19 size. I can go for 235/40 or 245/35, but being a numpty, I have no idea if either of these are a bad idea or not?

One of the main UK tyre websites is suggesting Pilot Sport 4 on the front and 4S on the rear but this definitely doesn't sound smart to me...
On an RWD it isn't critical to have the exact tire diameter. The wheels can handle a one size up or down, but you should go with the 235/40-19 as the alternative to keep the diameter as close to original as possible.

Originally Posted by sts-v
Id be interested in hearing if anyone had any experience in the Sport Cup 2's vs the 4S. Supposedly the sport cup 2's still have better traction.
Better traction but significantly less tread life. Really only suited for track use.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-07-2018 at 08:58 PM.
CaptainHam (03-08-2018)