F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Gallery intake kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I had no such issues installing the Mina filters with their intake. The alternate filters must be creating the challenges. Everything fit fine with plenty of clearance from the liners. A bunch of jiggling was however needed to properly align the rubber elbows. Done much easier if you heat up the elbow with hot water or a heat gun on low setting.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:43 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I had no such issues installing the Mina filters with their intake. The alternate filters must be creating the challenges. Everything fit fine with plenty of clearance from the liners. A bunch of jiggling was however needed to properly align the rubber elbows. Done much easier if you heat up the elbow with hot water or a heat gun on low setting.
The X-1021-BB filter isn't contacting anything other than the bracket and the MAF. It doesn't touch the bumper or the underbody cover, so it's not changing any of the orientation or alignment. For what it's worth I didn't have any problems aligning or fitting any of the hoses until I put the liners in and noticed the elbow was pushing on them. Mina did change the design of their lower intake from the initial version that you probably have, the pipe in the lower intake is much shorter now, and the silicone elbow section is significantly longer, like probably a foot long or more. Even the pictures in the instruction sheet they sent are noticeably different from what they sent me, and what I've seen from others who have received the lower kit recently. The MAF coupler and long silicone elbow were pre-fitted to the pipe for the lower when I received it, and Chris at Mina said that they were pre-aligned and shouldn't need to be adjusted. Either way, after finagling the thing for a while the 'bulge' seems to be less than an inch in both wells, and I haven't had any wheel rub yet.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injen filter cone

Originally Posted by lpf4
Just read through this thread, and saw a few people asking about better cone filters. I just got my intake kit in today, and measured the filters as best I can:

3.5" Inlet ID
1.5-1.75" Inlet Length
19" Base Circumference = 6" base diameter
4 7/8 to 5" Top
7 1/4" filter height from base to top
8.75" over-all height

Injen makes a dry filter (Super NanoWeb) that gets phenomenal filtration efficiency for a cone filter, and it's re-branded by Amsoil (a little extra name-drop doesn't hurt, being Amsoil and all), and is -significantly- better than the Injen 8-ply oiled gauze filters, which are themselves better than the 6-ply oiled gauze that Mina ships. I ran the measurements through the Injen site and found this filter:

X-1021-BB
3.5" Inlet ID
1.75" Inlet Length
6" Base Diameter
5.35" Top
6.875" filter height from base to top
8.375" overall height

So it's a little wider at the top (a bit under 1/2" wider), but is also about 1/2" shorter overall, which should fit well in the space and might even provide more clearance considering the Mina filters seem to hit the bumper on some installs. All other dimensions are the same. It also has a concave velocity-stack type tip that is most likely a gimmick, but is supposed to help start a vortex under throttle. I bought a couple - Amazon has them in stock on prime (only 6 left now) with fast shipping. You can also get their Injen X-1037RED or X-1037BLK HydroShield dry socks, which are made to fit that filter.
Hi. So i just so an xfr with mina intake tubes that shows significant increases vs. OEM intakr tubes temperatures. So i decided to go with the injen cone. However, will this cone fit into the oem intake tubes. Also, do i have to get the mina lower intake tubes to get the supercharger whine? I am not sure where the silencer is on those tubes.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hammam Almulhem
Hi. So i just so an xfr with mina intake tubes that shows significant increases vs. OEM intakr tubes temperatures. So i decided to go with the injen cone. However, will this cone fit into the oem intake tubes. Also, do i have to get the mina lower intake tubes to get the supercharger whine? I am not sure where the silencer is on those tubes.
Sorry, don't know anything about fitment on the XFR, or where the intake resonators are.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by lpf4
Sorry, don't know anything about fitment on the XFR, or where the intake resonators are.
Hi,

I actually drive a 2015 F type R, so the research I have done on the mina Upper Intake Tubes on the XFR was Just for reference. The XFR actually faced more heat sink and lost 20HP on the Dyno from the Mina Upper Intake Tubes Vs. OEM upper intake tubes. Sorry for the Misspelling in my previous reply. I was kickin A$$ at the Gym lol. My main question here is regarding the location of the whine silencer in the F type R. This is just to know whether I should go with the Mina lower intake + the Injen cone filter or I will get SC whine from the Injen cone filters alone without the lower intake tubes from Mina.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Hi,

I actually drive a 2015 F type R, so the research I have done on the mina Upper Intake Tubes on the XFR was Just for reference. The XFR actually faced more heat sink and lost 20HP on the Dyno from the Mina Upper Intake Tubes Vs. OEM upper intake tubes. Sorry for the Misspelling in my previous reply. I was kickin A$$ at the Gym lol. My main question here is regarding the location of the whine silencer in the F type R. This is just to know whether I should go with the Mina lower intake + the Injen cone filter or I will get SC whine from the Injen cone filters alone without the lower intake tubes from Mina.
The XFR and F-Type air filters are in completely different locations and the intake tubing and baffling ("whine silencers") are also very different.
On the XFR the intakes and tubing and filters are all "up top" across the front of the engine with no baffles as such just three Helmholtz resonators in the intake tubing, while on the F-Type the filters and baffles are low down in the wheel arches in front of the front wheels.
Which means you can't really compare the Mina lower intakes and filters across the two.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:09 AM
Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

Hi,

What Oz said.
Also, on the F Type, you need to replace the factory lower intake to increase supercharger whine as the intake "mufflers" are in the lower portion. Lots of threads with pictures on here. There have been no reported decreases in performance (or increases), or increase in intake temperatures using Mina upper from the many that have done it. I don't have it yet, but plan on full system. Others that already have it can testify.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:22 AM

Hi,

In addition to what the others said, you'll likely have to do both the cone and lower intake to get any good amount of intake noise and SC whine. Just the cone probably won't do it. Both the airbox and the resonator muffle the sounds. As it is, with the full Mina intake, I can really only hear the SC clearly in the car when under good throttle between 3-4k RPM's. Below that the whine is too quiet and above that the exhaust is too loud. I actually really like it that way, it mixes itself in well with the rest of the noises instead of being overpowering.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
What Oz said.
Also, on the F Type, you need to replace the factory lower intake to increase supercharger whine as the intake "mufflers" are in the lower portion. Lots of threads with pictures on here. There have been no reported decreases in performance (or increases), or increase in intake temperatures using Mina upper from the many that have done it. I don't have it yet, but plan on full system. Others that already have it can testify.
Yep...I have had Mina upper and Yellow Wolf lower intake for a while. Sound only changes. At the rate the air flows through the intake, you are not going to have any significant heat soak or increase air temps. +/- a couple of degrees at most.

DC

Also...Some additional info from an AEM Engineer based on empirical data and testing for their products. I think this explains it very well....Makes sense anyway:

At light throttle opening, air speed and airflow at the inlet system are relatively low. The high residence time of air in the inlet while at low-throttle settings will increase inlet charge temps when materials with high thermal conductivity are used. Typically, when someone is at light throttle they are not asking the engine to make power. Most likely, fuel economy is the issue.

When the throttle is fully opened however, air speed and airflow increase considerably. Typically, the inlet air speed of a 5.7L engine with a four-inch duct at full throttle is 34 feet-per-second, based on a volumetric efficiency of 70% and an engine speed of 3,000 rpm. Most inlet systems for every intake manufacturer for this engine are 30 inches or less. This means that the air in the duct of a 30-inch inlet length on this engine at the given rpm is 1/10th of a second; hardly enough time to transfer an appreciable amount of heat into the air stream on any system.

Basically, the rate at which air travels through the inlet path under open throttle, when one is asking the engine for maximum power, negates the effect of material heat soak, regardless of the material.

Last edited by Therock88; 04-27-2021 at 09:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ferrral (04-28-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 07:23 PM

Thanks a lot for the reply. Makes perfect sense. Do you know of any place that supplies Yellow Wolf lower intakes? could not find any since they went out of business.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Thanks a lot for the reply. Makes perfect sense. Do you know of any place that supplies Yellow Wolf lower intakes? could not find any since they went out of business.
Yellow Wolf is gone now. Mina Gallery now makes a lower intake as well though.

DC

Old 07-02-2021, 08:50 PM
Default not impressed

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Just up on the Mina site, their long promised intake tube kit for the F-Type: https://www.minagallery.com/f-type-performance-items/
Appears to be the exact same kit for both the V6 and V8 and the price isn't too bad.
I somehow doubt their claim of 8 to 13 hp at the wheels though.
i installed it on my car took it for a ride and was very disappointed, so much that i came right home took them right off and returned them to get my refund. it was not worth the $200 or $300

Old 07-02-2021, 09:58 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I still have mine and haven't installed it yet. Debating on selling the full intake. I love my F Type but not sure I want to mess with the install for something that just adds the noise. I still plan on the tune and pulley but not sure this is worth it.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nikolai Browning
i installed it on my car took it for a ride and was very disappointed, so much that i came right home took them right off and returned them to get my refund. it was not worth the $200 or $300
Why were you disappointed? Did you install the complete kit, or just the upper intake tube?

Old 07-14-2021, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

My lower/filter kit just rolled up, all the parts seem present but the fitting instructions are a joke, just some very poor very blurry photocopies of a PDF of some pics of the parts after installation so not a helluva lot of use.
Best bet is to do what I did - type in the Dropbox link they give to the original PDF, download it then print it - muuuuuch clearer and of some help now.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:27 AM
Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

My lower/filter kit just rolled up, all the parts seem present but the fitting instructions are a joke, just some very poor very blurry photocopies of a PDF of some pics of the parts after installation so not a helluva lot of use.
Best bet is to do what I did - type in the Dropbox link they give to the original PDF, download it then print it - muuuuuch clearer and of some help now.
I agree and had exactly same impression.
Moreover couldn't install provided filter brackets in the proper angle.
Fortunately - after installation is completed - supercharger whine....lovely upgrade

Sparky H (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member

Even then, not much use. It takes a lot of patience to twist all the tubing sections right to get everything to align properly. They could have stamped and printed index marks on the tubing and rubber couplings to simplify installation. The whine makes it all worthwhile, though.

Sparky H (07-15-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quick question for Lance and others who have installed this kit, well at least the lower section (ie air filters).
I have booked the car in at my favourite exhaust shop to get it done as I am no longer up for squirming around under the car on trolley jacks and axle stands fighting with stubborn parts and bolts and it will be much easier on a hoist.
The question is, what is the best angle of attack?
- remove just the front wheels and wheel arch liners?
- remove the front undertray as well?
- remove the whole front bumper/grille?
- some combo of the above?
Whatever gets it done in minimum time but still doable without too much pulling of hair and expletives.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quick question for Lance and others who have installed this kit, well at least the lower section (ie air filters).
I have booked the car in at my favourite exhaust shop to get it done as I am no longer up for squirming around under the car on trolley jacks and axle stands fighting with stubborn parts and bolts and it will be much easier on a hoist.
The question is, what is the best angle of attack?
- remove just the front wheels and wheel arch liners?
- remove the front undertray as well?
- remove the whole front bumper/grille?
- some combo of the above?
Whatever gets it done in minimum time but still doable without too much pulling of hair and expletives.
Option 1, by far: wheels and arch liners.

OzXFR (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 09:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone installed only the bottom section while leaving the stock upper section? If so how’s the whine and is the fitment any better or easier to manage?

Quick Reply: Mina Gallery intake kit