Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Gallery intake kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021 | 10:11 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jklad
Has anyone installed only the bottom section while leaving the stock upper section? If so how’s the whine and is the fitment any better or easier to manage?
That is exactly what I am about to do but not until Monday after next 9 August so I will report back then.
However I have the VAP "stage 2" tune with larger crank/lower pulley and that already releases a whack of extra SC whine over stock so it remains to be seen (heard!) how much extra whine I get, I'm hoping for lots but expecting just a little.

The following users liked this post:
Jklad (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021 | 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jklad
Has anyone installed only the bottom section while leaving the stock upper section? If so how’s the whine and is the fitment any better or easier to manage?
Yes, I installed Mina Lower Only 1 month ago.

I removed wheels and liners only. I used jack stands in the PROPER PLACES.

Supercharger "whine" is VERY noticeable". Immediate whine upon acceleration and increases with RPM...VERY SWEET.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sparky H:
JacksonvilleJag (07-31-2021), Jklad (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021 | 09:45 AM

Bolts right5 in....NO HASSLES>

Jklad (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021 | 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sparky H
Yes, I installed Mina Lower Only 1 month ago.

I removed wheels and liners only. I used jack stands in the PROPER PLACES.

Supercharger "whine" is VERY noticeable". Immediate whine upon acceleration and increases with RPM...VERY SWEET.
-Nice, was fitment and getting proper angles any easier? Is there any reason to do the upper section other than “aesthetics”?

Old 07-30-2021 | 10:14 AM

Unhngd set me on the right course of install. Option 1....Very simple bolt on.....No upper alignment necessary in my case. With a bonafide LIFT....you will enjoy the journey.
AGAIN....Supercharger "whine to Scream" is exhilarating. You will not be disappointed.
Upper, I understand is cosmetics ONLY....and I am not into polishing at this point.
Pulley and Stage II Install next week when rain subsides.
THANKS VAP!!

Jklad (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021 | 10:54 AM

Has anyone swapped out the wet filters for dry versions?

edit:nevermind looks like some folks were trying out Injen / amsoil filters

Last edited by Jklad; 07-30-2021 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2021 | 11:25 PM
|
Veteran Member

Got the Mina lower kit installed today.
By a shop which had never done this kit before, hard to avoid that here in li'l ol' Adelaide where I am 99% sure I am the first ever.
Took a bit longer than expected, about 3.5 hours all up so it cost me a fair bit.
Much easier access with the front undertray off as well as the wheel arch liners removed so some extra time spent there.
A few hiccups along the way, things did not fit all that well, the mechanic reckoned it needed an extra small silicon connecter piece on each side and he ended up cutting the existing pieces in half to make two extra pieces. He then reinforced those pieces internally with some 3" stainless steel tube.
Could not remove the OEM snorkels without pulling the front bumper off so decided to leave the snorkels in place but zip tied them up otherwise they would flop around and maybe rattle. In theory they will feed a little more air to the filters.
Sound - good, much more SC whine at low speed / small throttle openings especially outside the car, not quite as noticeable inside. Heaps of whine parked up in N or P when giving it some revs! Drowned out by exhaust noise under WOT as others have said, I might try driving in "quiet" mode instead of loud mode for a bit to see what difference that makes. Also might try plugging up the symposer again although last time that made no difference I could detect.
Performance - does feel a little peppier especially the low to mid range torque but that might just be placebo effect.

Old 11-27-2023 | 02:32 PM

Ive seen youtube videos where they dyno with and without mina upper and with mina upper intake 20hp is not and engine bay runs hotter than without

Old 11-28-2023 | 09:36 AM
Default Mina Galley Intake

Have had the Mina Galley intake on an F Type R for some time . Interesting that the lower intake on the V6 is different than the V8 . Mina made the V6 lower first not realizing that the V8 lower was different .Was the guinea pig on the V8 lower & worked closely with them to perfect . Now a great product & am delighted with mine . Unfortunately during installation thru the wheel well auto was jacked up & put the garage door down catching the hood which did major damage . Replaced with Darwin Pro hood which turned out well . Mina installation ended up being an expensive endeavor .

Old 11-28-2023 | 08:19 PM

I installed the Mina upper and lower in my SVR. It was a bit of work and things didn't line up without a bit of wiggling and fussing. But, all you need to do is twist the curved pieces slightly before tightening down the silicone couplings and the install should be done without cutting any pieces. I'm a little surprised that a shop couldn't get it in without altering the pieces. I keep wondering though how it might sound if the tubes were one piece stainless (all the way) without any silicone couplings (which I assume knocks down the sound slightly). The curves and angles would certainly have to be really dialed in, but I believe it should be possible to get it done in 1-3 pieces total. I bet that would sound amazing!

Old 07-27-2024 | 03:39 PM

So I finally got around to ripping apart the front end and installing their "new" V2 of this intake. Slightly different tubing design and came in black wrinkle paint to make it look essentially stock to anyone that doesn't know any better. Not a hard install, but the included "instructions" were worthless so it took me some trial and error to figure out how all the brackets and everything went.

Car's still in stands since I am getting new tires, but two quick videos, first is with the stock intake in normal, and then dynamic. Second video is with the intake and in dynamic then back to normal. A couple of revs to 1.5k each and one or two around 3k.

Also discovered my driver's side headlight is being held on by one attachment point, the other two have broken and it's just sitting there...

Last edited by MCMike37; 07-27-2024 at 03:42 PM.
HyltofWills (08-03-2024)
Old 07-29-2024 | 11:05 AM

Interesting. I ordered mine less than one month ago and it was still the "old" version that's pictured on their site.

I prefer the shiny piping of the version I got, however your filter cones look like an improved design vs the ones in my kit. I wonder if it makes any noticeable or functional difference. At any rate, they look cooler.

​​​

Old 07-29-2024 | 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by MCMike37
So I finally got around to ripping apart the front end and installing their "new" V2 of this intake. Slightly different tubing design and came in black wrinkle paint to make it look essentially stock to anyone that doesn't know any better. Not a hard install, but the included "instructions" were worthless so it took me some trial and error to figure out how all the brackets and everything went.

Car's still in stands since I am getting new tires, but two quick videos, first is with the stock intake in normal, and then dynamic. Second video is with the intake and in dynamic then back to normal. A couple of revs to 1.5k each and one or two around 3k.

Also discovered my driver's side headlight is being held on by one attachment point, the other two have broken and it's just sitting there...

https://youtu.be/Pl1Ryt0y3t4

https://youtu.be/stTyHP6FX8s

Looks Nice. Any Chance on a how to video for us non mechanically inclined folks to do this

Old 07-29-2024 | 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Interesting. I ordered mine less than one month ago and it was still the "old" version that's pictured on their site.

I prefer the shiny piping of the version I got, however your filter cones look like an improved design vs the ones in my kit. I wonder if it makes any noticeable or functional difference. At any rate, they look cooler.​​​
Weird, I ordered mine a number of months back and they emailed me asking if I wanted to wait for the new one or take the old one immediately. While they may "look" cooler, I am positive they do nothing that any other regular cone filter does. And they be hidden behind the bumper so no one will ever seem them.

Originally Posted by BuggDomi
Looks Nice. Any Chance on a how to video for us non mechanically inclined folks to do this
I didn't take a video but the front of the car is still not put together so I'll snap some better pictures to explain how the pieces and brackets go.

Old 07-29-2024 | 11:28 PM

I've been informed, by someone who measures these things very carefully, that the Mina intake has a 22% smaller cross section* than the stock intake, and that heat soak in the metal tubing did indeed make a "measurable" difference in performance while testing (I didn't ask what the testing setup was like however).

Since I only got the kit for sound and cosmetics, and because it's relatively cheap, I'm not so bothered by this. However others may appreciate this info.

I could share more about intake options, but it's not official yet. Besides, other posters have left ample hints already

​​​​​

*That is, if I'm remembering the number correctly. I know for sure it was twenty-something.

DJS (07-30-2024)
Old 07-29-2024 | 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by MCMike37
they be hidden behind the bumper so no one will ever seem them.
True, but I will know what they look like, and I will see them in my mind's eye every time I blip the throttle at idle and hear the air rushing in

​​​​​

Old 07-31-2024 | 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
True, but I will know what they look like, and I will see them in my mind's eye every time I blip the throttle at idle and hear the air rushing in ​​​​​
So very true, when it's installed on my car it's an extra 15hp, but installed on your car it provides no benefit....

Luc Lapierre (08-01-2024)