Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020 | 03:10 PM

LOOKS GREAT!

The following users liked this post:
madmax1911 (08-17-2020)
Old 09-15-2020 | 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Default Lower Intake for Testing

Mina Gallery just sent me their new V6 lower intake to test (on them). I'll be installing it sometime in the next two weeks and will post my impressions. I had installed their upper intake over a year ago and am still impressed how it has improved the appearance of the engine compartment. I an hoping for a discernable increase in SC whine. Installation instructions attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
f-type-intake1.pdf (828.8 KB, 144 views)
Old 09-15-2020 | 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Mina Gallery just sent me their new V6 lower intake to test (on them). I'll be installing it sometime in the next two weeks and will post my impressions. I had installed their upper intake over a year ago and am still impressed how it has improved the appearance of the engine compartment. I an hoping for a discernable increase in SC whine. Installation instructions attached.

I'm running the upper and lower Mina kits on my R. The upper pipes alone didn't make a very noticeable difference in sound for me. Adding the lower kit definitely increased the SC whine on mine in regular mode. Once it gets into the higher RPMs in regular mode, I can't hear the SC whine over the exhaust. In dynamic mode, the exhaust completely drowns out the SC whine for me as well.

Old 09-15-2020 | 09:03 PM

Interesting that they used a square hole to mount the MAF Sensor bracket.....extra adjustment ????
They should the TheRock88 to do their instillation PDF's, his DYI's are superior.

Last edited by madmax1911; 09-15-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2020 | 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Interesting that they used a square hole to mount the MAF Sensor bracket.....extra adjustment ????
They should the TheRock88 to do their instillation PDF's, his DYI's are superior.
Interesting is a polite word. You'd think the thin metal bracket could be bent slightly if adjustment is needed. Let's hear what Unhingd has to say after he installs. Agreed on TheRock88. I've downloaded all his DIYs.

Old 09-16-2020 | 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Interesting is a polite word. You'd think the thin metal bracket could be bent slightly if adjustment is needed. Let's hear what Unhingd has to say after he installs. Agreed on TheRock88. I've downloaded all his DIYs.
I'm not too keen on that square hole either. Seems particularly susceptible to fatigue failure.

JacksonvilleJag (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020 | 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Appreciate the positive feedback. And I will keep them coming as I get around to upgrading/repairing items. Glad they are useful. I like the DIY videos...But find them hard to use when you are trying to actually perform the task....Start....Stop...Start...Pause

Good luck with this install.

DC

Old 09-16-2020 | 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88
Appreciate the positive feedback. And I will keep them coming as I get around to upgrading/repairing items. Glad they are useful. I like the DIY videos...But find them hard to use when you are trying to actually perform the task....Start....Stop...Start...Pause

Good luck with this install.

DC
DC,
Luck has nothing to do with it. Patience is the key. My options are to go through the wheel wells or the nose. The nose will take longer, but fitment will be more precise. I think I'll go that route. I might as well install the Paramount SC radiator at the same time.

Old 09-17-2020 | 08:53 PM

I installed the mina gallery intake tubes a few weeks ago expecting increased s/c whine. but unlike my expectation, it never increase at all.

Does anyone know why?
From the comments above, people said it increase the s/p whine.

I only installed the alluminum tubes w/o open filter. is this the possible reason that didn't increase s/p whine?

Old 09-17-2020 | 09:02 PM

Windows closed, exhaust valves closed. Shaky iPhone mount.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJV7OE...ient=mv-google

You only installed the tubes? or open filter too?

I use OEM filter box with mina intake and never found any increase on s/c whine when I installed it to hear that sound.

Old 09-17-2020 | 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by TAEUCK Goo
I installed the mina gallery intake tubes a few weeks ago expecting increased s/c whine. but unlike my expectation, it never increase at all.

Does anyone know why?

I only installed the alluminum tubes w/o open filter. is this the possible reason that didn't increase s/p whine?

I use OEM filter box with mina intake and never found any increase on s/c whine when I installed it to hear that sound.
yep same here, was pretty dissapointed and felt like i wasted my time/money lmao

Old 09-18-2020 | 03:51 AM

Yep, very disappointed.
And no HP increase found after testing with camaross that I used to have a roll race.

If you find the reason, let me know.
I will do.

Old 09-18-2020 | 04:10 AM
Veteran Member

Hard to tell from your descriptions, but just changing the upper intake will have little/no affect on SC noise/whine.

The lower intake and filter have the greatest affect and also where the noise baffle is located. I have both and there is a definite increase.

Also, these newer Eaton - Roots SC's are not as noisey as the older types, or some other styles.

DC

Old 09-18-2020 | 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Does anyone know why?

The reason that the SC whine remains muted after the upper intake installation is that the OEM baffled section of the intake remains in place and continues to effectively muffle the whine. The lower Mina intake eliminates that OEM baffle.

Yes, I am still using the OEM filter box. The only reason that you hear a bit of whine in that video is that the SC is spinning at close to 20,000 rpm with both the upper and lower pulleys. Even with the lower Mina intake tubes, I plan on using a filter element with similar construction to the OEM filters. open oil soaked filter elements do not offer adequate filtering protection.

Old 09-19-2020 | 11:32 AM

The reason that the SC whine remains muted after the upper intake installation is that the OEM baffled section of the intake remains in place and continues to effectively muffle the whine. The lower Mina intake eliminates that OEM baffle.

Yes, I am still using the OEM filter box. The only reason that you hear a bit of whine in that video is that the SC is spinning at close to 20,000 rpm with both the upper and lower pulleys. Even with the lower Mina intake tubes, I plan on using a filter element with similar construction to the OEM filters. open oil soaked filter elements do not offer adequate filtering protection.
Which filters are you looking at using? I agree with you about not using oiled filters.

Old 09-20-2020 | 09:40 PM

Thanks.

I also change the FIlter from OEM to BMC but your s/c whine come from your changing pulleys.
Do I understand well?

Without changing lower part of intake(filter section), I can't expect any S/C whine increase. but You don't recommend it because it won't function well you think.

Old 09-21-2020 | 02:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WayneB
Which filters are you looking at using? I agree with you about not using oiled filters.
I just got a clarification from Mina. K&N filters are 4 ply oil soaked, whereas the Mina filters are 6 ply oil soaked. Mina has recommended cleaning/re-oiling or changing the filters every 3000-6000 miles depending on road conditions. I’m still going to look for some paper/cloth filters that will fit, but feel comfortable using the Mina filters until then.

Old 09-21-2020 | 02:35 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks.

I also change the FIlter from OEM to BMC but your s/c whine come from your changing pulleys.
Do I understand well?

Without changing lower part of intake(filter section), I can't expect any S/C whine increase. but You don't recommend it because it won't function well you think.
Changing the pulley(s) will not increase the whine very much. The big increase in whine should come from replacing the baffled section of the intake with a straight metal tube. That tube is available with the Mina lower intake kit. That kit comes with an oil filter that probably does not capture as much particulate matter(dust) as a standard paper filter. Perhaps the baffled section can be replaced while keeping the OEM filter box in place. I’m going to try to get to this project this week.

Old 09-21-2020 | 03:24 AM

Many thanks for the comment Unhingd.

Will wait for your project and hope it brings a good news for me!!

I will only use OEM filter box like you said, open filter doesn't function well I think.

Let me have S/C whine !!!! plz!

Old 09-21-2020 | 10:06 AM

I just got a clarification from Mina. K&N filters are 4 ply oil soaked, whereas the Mina filters are 6 ply oil soaked. Mina has recommended cleaning/re-oiling or changing the filters every 3000-6000 miles depending on road conditions. I’m still going to look for some paper/cloth filters that will fit, but feel comfortable using the Mina filters until then.
Have you looked at Amzoil filters?
They come in all assortment of sizes and fitments.
I put one on my BMW M Roadster when I found the ITG foam oiled filter on the cold air intake starting to disintegrate.

Unhingd (09-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Mina Gallery intake kit