F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Gallery Low Intake Tube Install No supercharger whine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 07:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mina Gallery Low Intake Tube Install No supercharger whine?

Hello all,

Just had the Mina gallery lower intake tube and filter installed and there is basically 0 supercharger whine. The box and silencer is removed. I'm not sure what it is.

Called Mina Gallery and they mentioned the YouTuber Sal'a Garage has the same issue possibly. He mentioned the symposer might be faulty.

Anyone else run into this problem and was able to fix it? I'm so saddened by this new issue that I came across. I kind of noticed that I didn't hear the supercharger whine with the older I take too, even at high RPM's.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Ojeii
Hello all,

Just had the Mina gallery lower intake tube and filter installed and there is basically 0 supercharger whine. The box and silencer is removed. I'm not sure what it is.

Called Mina Gallery and they mentioned the YouTuber Sal'a Garage has the same issue possibly. He mentioned the symposer might be faulty.

Anyone else run into this problem and was able to fix it? I'm so saddened by this new issue that I came across. I kind of noticed that I didn't hear the supercharger whine with the older I take too, even at high RPM's.
That is strange.
I have the V6 not the V8 but the effect of the Mina lower intake should be the same.
I went from stock - almost no SC whine
to VAP tune only (Stage 1) - a tiny bit more SC whine
to larger crank pulley plus VAP tune (Stage 2) - a lot more SC whine
to Stage 2 plus Mina lower intake - waaay more SC whine!
At all times in this progression I had the Symposer disabled with the simple "plug in the tube" method.
So maybe that's the first thing you should try - disable the symposer, only takes 5 minutes.
The Stage 2 VAP tune increases SC whine by a fair bit by changing how the SC bypass valve works - it keeps the valve closed more and closed sooner in the rev range than stock (open valve = more bypass so less boost and less whine).
The Mina lower intake (really two separate intakes and filters) increases SC whine a lot by deleting the stock baffles in the intake tubes. Those baffles cause a resonance which dampens the SC whine.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
That is strange.
I have the V6 not the V8 but the effect of the Mina lower intake should be the same.
I went from stock - almost no SC whine
to VAP tune only (Stage 1) - a tiny bit more SC whine
to larger crank pulley plus VAP tune (Stage 2) - a lot more SC whine
to Stage 2 plus Mina lower intake - waaay more SC whine!
At all times in this progression I had the Symposer disabled with the simple "plug in the tube" method.
So maybe that's the first thing you should try - disable the symposer, only takes 5 minutes.
The Stage 2 VAP tune increases SC whine by a fair bit by changing how the SC bypass valve works - it keeps the valve closed more and closed sooner in the rev range than stock (open valve = more bypass so less boost and less whine).
The Mina lower intake (really two separate intakes and filters) increases SC whine a lot by deleting the stock baffles in the intake tubes. Those baffles cause a resonance which dampens the SC whine.
When I spoke to the Mina Gallery rep he told me that's the opposite thing I should be doing since I did a quick google search and saw a few symposer delete threads. I forget the explanation so someone else could maybe chime in but he said I wouldn't want to delete it. Maybe it is a solution, but I'm not sure.

I saw this mod
where he basically runs a tube from the inlet MAF straight to the cabin basically. The Mina Gallery rep told me that was another person's solution to the same problem I have with the intake's change still producing no supercharger whine. Requires some holes drilled but the end result is direct whine into the cabin. But, I've seen installs with just the lower intake and that should be enough to bring out the whine a lot so I want to try and tackle the initial issue of 0 whine because the intake install alone should be enough to bring out a lot more whine.

The following users liked this post:
cujet (10-02-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

When I spoke to the Mina Gallery rep he told me that's the opposite thing I should be doing since I did a quick google search and saw a few symposer delete threads. I forget the explanation so someone else could maybe chime in but he said I wouldn't want to delete it. Maybe it is a solution, but I'm not sure.

I saw this mod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWS-...=Sal%27sGarage where he basically runs a tube from the inlet MAF straight to the cabin basically. The Mina Gallery rep told me that was another person's solution to the same problem I have with the intake's change still producing no supercharger whine. Requires some holes drilled but the end result is direct whine into the cabin. But, I've seen installs with just the lower intake and that should be enough to bring out the whine a lot so I want to try and tackle the initial issue of 0 whine because the intake install alone should be enough to bring out a lot more whine.
Even stranger then!
The Mina intake set up by itself should result in a large increase in SC whine so I have no idea why yours has not.
Why don't you at least try the Symposer defeat, nothing to lose (easily reversible) and only takes 5 minutes?
Maybe just maybe whoever installed the Mina set up didn't do it right and there are large air leaks?

Last edited by OzXFR; 09-30-2022 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:35 PM

Even stranger then!
The Mina intake set up by itself should result a large increase in SC whine so I have no idea why yours has not.
Why don't you at least try the Symposer defeat, nothing to lose (easily reversible) and only takes 5 minutes?
Maybe just maybe whoever installed the Mina set up didn't do it right and there are large air leaks?
is there a way to tell it is leaking air? I wondered that myself but this install is pretty straight forward. I can try the symposer delete and see how that goes. I would like to try the inlet tube mod like above but I'm afraid I will still get 0 supercharger whine if I don't fix the root issue.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

is there a way to tell it is leaking air? I wondered that myself but this install is pretty straight forward. I can try the symposer delete and see how that goes. I would like to try the inlet tube mod like above but I'm afraid I will still get 0 supercharger whine if I don't fix the root issue.
Maybe a smoke machine will reveal any leaks?
That intake tube mod looks fairly janky to me with a lot of time and effort (and maybe expense) for not a great result, and in the comments he even said he has deleted it now because it is too loud. I agree you need to find and fix the root issue before resorting to another possibly pointless mod, odds are that if you fix the root issue you will get all the SC whine you want with no loss of performance or drivability.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:09 PM

Maybe a smoke machine will reveal any leaks?
That intake tube mod looks fairly janky to me with a lot of time and effort (and maybe expense) for not a great result, and in the comments he even said he has deleted it now because it is too loud. I agree you need to find and fix the root issue before resorting to another possibly pointless mod, odds are that if you fix the root issue you will get all the SC whine you want with no loss of performance or drivability.
Maybe.

So I did put my phone up near the intakes with the hood open and recorded myself starting the car up and revving it. I hear the whine on my phone pretty well but it sounds like stock still.

When I drive with valves closed I hear some whirring noise when I accelerate at low speeds. Maybe it has something to do with my muffler delete but hard to hear it with the valves open so I don't notice it.

Maybe the whirring is a leak? I'm not sure. But I do know that the supercharge whine is there, it's just very faint.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:21 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I installed a full Mina Gallery intake and notice more supercharger whine than I did stock but to me it isn't a massive difference. Personally if I did it over I am not sure I would have added the intake. I think there is a debate on if it adds any hp or actually looses a bit of hp. I sat on mine for a year before I decided I was keeping it and putting it on. I will say that I get more sc whine if I am getting on it and very minimal if I don't have the peddle mashed to the floor.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I installed a full Mina Gallery intake and notice more supercharger whine than I did stock but to me it isn't a massive difference. Personally if I did it over I am not sure I would have added the intake. I think there is a debate on if it adds any hp or actually looses a bit of hp. I sat on mine for a year before I decided I was keeping it and putting it on. I will say that I get more sc whine if I am getting on it and very minimal if I don't have the peddle mashed to the floor.
Maybe you have the same problem as me or the sound is very directional but I've watched videos of F-Types with just the lower intake tube and filter installed and it is definitely 100% louder than stock since stock is basically non existent. You can hear it pretty clearly in the cabin when you mash on the throttle to 5k+ RPM.

Here is a video that demonstrates that. The only installation was the lower intake tube and filters and even with the windows up it is pretty noticeably loud.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

I would not say it is crazy loud SC whine, and the exhaust definitely takes over. Here is a quick (not good quality) clip some guys took when I left a car show recently. This is an R with the Yellow Wolf Intake (similar to Mina). Just to give an idea of what mine sounds like from outside, under acceleration. I also have my symposer completely removed, but that would not affect the noise outside. Just FYI.

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 10-02-2022 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
I would not say it is crazy loud SC wine, and the exhaust definitely takes over. Here is a quick (not good quality) clip some guys took when I left a car show recently. The is an R with the Yellow Wolf Intake (similar to Mina). Just to give an idea of what mine sounds like from outside, under acceleration. I also have my symposer completely removed, but that would not affect the noise outside. Just FYI.

Video Clip Here

DC
Yeah that sounds about what I should be hearing from mine but I don't even hear anything on my end though. That's a lot louder than mine.

I got an OBD2 sensor and I'm going to test the boost pressure and MAF sensor to see if the readings are correct.

Old 10-02-2022, 03:28 PM

OBD2 sensor readings look okay. MAF g/sec are in the 200's and 300's when I do a pull.

My boost readings are normal I think. In the -0.6's on average, doing a pull goes to 0.5 ish sometimes higher depending.

Anyone else with readings can chime in and tell me if my readings look off.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems ok to me, but I do know that the SC only whines when under load. You tend not to experience the sound when only revving the engine or in low rpm ranges. I left the symposer connected and stock if that helps. The lowers on the Mina intake delete the sound dampener or whatever it's called on both sides of the intake (drive and passenger). The stock plastic intake has a lot more sound and temp control it seems. If you have a significant leak, the car is going throw a code and/or check engine light to you. Here is a boost curve that might help you compare if you haven't already seen it.

Last edited by x152in512; 10-14-2022 at 12:54 PM.