F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Gallery Upper/Lower Intake and VAP Crank Pulley Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 07:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mina Gallery Upper/Lower Intake and VAP Crank Pulley Install Review

Wanted to share our experience with installing the Mina Gallery Upper/Lower intake kits and VAP Pulley/Belt with accompanying tune.

Background: After ordering the upper intake from Mina Gallery, we reached out to see whether we could install a lower intake kit from another company. They responded that it could be done, but they also were working on their own lower intake kit that we could purchase instead - we obliged.

We waited to combine the install of both items, until the final complimentary dealer maintenance and figured that taking out the intake would only provide more room to work on the crank pulley (this was true). The work was done by my brother and I on jack stands over the course of two days due to our schedule with the install times indicated below. Everything can be done DIY, we are seasoned DIYers but not professional mechanics - this was our first project on the F-Type.

VAP Crank Pulley / Tune

Install: This has been fairly well covered, so won’t belabor anything here. We followed the guide written by Stohlen, he does a phenomenal job detailing everything you need to do. Things worth mentioning: a small impact tool would make removal of the Crank Pulley 10x easier/faster, ours was a few mm from fitting and that was the most painful part of install. Second be sure to loctite each bolt separately before install, not all at once. Lesson learned some will set before you get them in and you may have to re-clean them. Lastly the belt is much easier as a two person team - come in from the top and let gravity work to your advantage. First time we’ve done a belt in under 10 minutes.

Review: Again, won’t say anything you haven’t read on here: if you’re on the fence and wondering what an extra 75-100hp/tq feels like then you need this install. This is how the car SHOULD be sold, the V6 F-Type is no longer just fast looking...

Mina Gallery Upper/Lower Intake Kit:

Install: Not complicated, but quite a bit tougher/time consuming than the crank pulley - nothing is terribly difficult but a lack of instructions made things quite a bit harder. We used a forum post here by Unhingd for the upper kit and the Eventuri Install instructions for the lower portion. The lower kit was a bit tougher (may have been set up for a V8?) with all the parts needed to complete the install, just some swapping around from the photos I had of their lower kit installed plus some different pieces from the Eventuri. Below is an in-progress photo we took of how our set up worked for any future V6 installers.

Review: Money well spent - went with this combination as it was 1/4 the price of the Eventuri and seemed to have the same advantages in noise, weight and eliminating the large void / small inlet that occurs with the V6 noise suppressor being the same part as the V8 - minus the carbon fiber. The butt dino would suggest this was worth it on the performance end but more than anything the sound... really brings the supercharger to life and makes it sound like a true exotic . With the exhaust flaps open it’s the perfect mix of whine and exhaust with neither drowning each other out. Would absolutely recommend this intake setup, especially at the price it’s being sold at in comparison to the competition.

Overall: Both of these are worthwhile upgrades - the price per HP/TQ is well worth the crank pulley/tune install and a huge plus that both projects can be done in a DIY day. If Mina Gallery adds an install PDF or video, it will be at a significant advantage to the Eventuri.

Install Times:
  • Setup: Parts and Area Prepped, Jack Stands, Remove Wheels & Undertray: 1 hr
  • Remove Stock Intake: 1 hr
  • Remove/Install Crank Pulley/Belt: 1hr (would be less w/ Impact Gun)
  • Install Mina Gallery Intake: 1.5 hrs
  • Reinstall Setup Parts/Clean-Up: 45 min (you’ll know how to do it this time)

Our Total Work Time: 5hrs 15mins

Recommended Time Budget: 7 hrs

Last edited by Row_ca; 06-28-2020 at 08:40 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Row_ca:
DJS (07-04-2020), JacksonvilleJag (06-29-2020), madmax1911 (06-28-2020), OzXFR (06-28-2020), Therock88 (06-28-2020), Unhingd (06-28-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-28-2020, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Thanks for the info on the Mina lower intake. I’m going to look into that.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Row_ca
Wanted to share our experience with installing the Mina Gallery Upper/Lower intake kits and VAP Pulley/Belt with accompanying tune.

Background: After ordering the upper intake from Mina Gallery, we reached out to see whether we could install a lower intake kit from another company. They responded that it could be done, but they also were working on their own lower intake kit that we could purchase instead - we obliged.

We waited to combine the install of both items, until the final complimentary dealer maintenance and figured that taking out the intake would only provide more room to work on the crank pulley (this was true). The work was done by my brother and I on jack stands over the course of two days due to our schedule with the install times indicated below. Everything can be done DIY, we are seasoned DIYers but not professional mechanics - this was our first project on the F-Type.

VAP Crank Pulley / Tune

Install: This has been fairly well covered, so won’t belabor anything here. We followed the guide written by Stohlen, he does a phenomenal job detailing everything you need to do. Things worth mentioning: a small impact tool would make removal of the Crank Pulley 10x easier/faster, ours was a few mm from fitting and that was the most painful part of install. Second be sure to loctite each bolt separately before install, not all at once. Lesson learned some will set before you get them in and you may have to re-clean them. Lastly the belt is much easier as a two person team - come in from the top and let gravity work to your advantage. First time we’ve done a belt in under 10 minutes.

Review: Again, won’t say anything you haven’t read on here: if you’re on the fence and wondering what an extra 75-100hp/tq feels like then you need this install. This is how the car SHOULD be sold, the V6 F-Type is no longer just fast looking...

Mina Gallery Upper/Lower Intake Kit:

Install: Not complicated, but quite a bit tougher/time consuming than the crank pulley - nothing is terribly difficult but a lack of instructions made things quite a bit harder. We used a forum post here by Unhingd for the upper kit and the Eventuri Install instructions for the lower portion. The lower kit was a bit tougher (may have been set up for a V8?) with all the parts needed to complete the install, just some swapping around from the photos I had of their lower kit installed plus some different pieces from the Eventuri. Below is an in-progress photo we took of how our set up worked for any future V6 installers.

Review: Money well spent - went with this combination as it was 1/4 the price of the Eventuri and seemed to have the same advantages in noise, weight and eliminating the large void / small inlet that occurs with the V6 noise suppressor being the same part as the V8 - minus the carbon fiber. The butt dino would suggest this was worth it on the performance end but more than anything the sound... really brings the supercharger to life and makes it sound like a true exotic . With the exhaust flaps open it’s the perfect mix of whine and exhaust with neither drowning each other out. Would absolutely recommend this intake setup, especially at the price it’s being sold at in comparison to the competition.

Overall: Both of these are worthwhile upgrades - the price per HP/TQ is well worth the crank pulley/tune install and a huge plus that both projects can be done in a DIY day. If Mina Gallery adds an install PDF or video, it will be at a significant advantage to the Eventuri.

Install Times:
  • Setup: Parts and Area Prepped, Jack Stands, Remove Wheels & Undertray: 1 hr
  • Remove Stock Intake: 1 hr
  • Remove/Install Crank Pulley/Belt: 1hr (would be less w/ Impact Gun)
  • Install Mina Gallery Intake: 1.5 hrs
  • Reinstall Setup Parts/Clean-Up: 45 min (you’ll know how to do it this time)

Our Total Work Time: 5hrs 15mins

Recommended Time Budget: 7 hrs

Great info, and thanks for posting. I have the Yellow Wolf Lower Intake, and just ordered (Friday) the Mina Gallery Upper Intake. I will also document my combination and post on the forum as well.
As you can see from the pics below, the Mina is similar to the YW. Appears they chose to put the MAF at the top instead of closer to the filter (like OEM)?

How long did Mina take to get your intake to you? I ordered Friday, and my wife is at the beach until next Friday....Soooo, If I get it on before she gets home, it never happened, and maybe I can order something else

Take care,
DC

Old 06-28-2020, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Great info, and thanks for posting. I have the Yellow Wolf Lower Intake, and just ordered (Friday) the Mina Gallery Upper Intake. I will also document my combination and post on the forum as well.
As you can see from the pics below, the Mina is similar to the YW. Appears they chose to put the MAF at the top instead of closer to the filter (like OEM)?

How long did Mina take to get your intake to you? I ordered Friday, and my wife is at the beach until next Friday....Soooo, If I get it on before she gets home, it never happened, and maybe I can order something else

Take care,
DC

DC,

Glad to contribute after we used the forum DIYs to get the job done. In reference to your two questions - don’t think you’ll have an issue with install, the MAF sensor placement you have closely resembles the photo Mina Gallery sent me on their pre-production model (attached below).

We mounted ours a bit higher as it appeared the pieces provided were sized/laid out to accompany the V8s 3” MAF sensor. To compensate we swapped some couplings around m and were able to make it fit without reducing airflow/still eliminating the stock restrictors.

As far as shipping goes it took about 1-2 weeks or 5-10 business days to receive each of the shipments, mid-shutdown. We weren’t in any hurry as we wanted to wait for the final complimentary service so you may have better luck reaching out to them to see if it can be expedited. For what it’s worth we found them to be pretty responsive to emails and calls during our orders.

Mina-Gallery Pre-Production Lower Intake Photo

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 01:12 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Mina Gallery Lower Intake Kit:
Thanks for the write up, especially on the lower intake. Can you comment on the filter? Is it just a generic brand? Is there a dry sock for it? How's the quality appear?

Old 06-29-2020, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Thanks for the write up, especially on the lower intake. Can you comment on the filter? Is it just a generic brand? Is there a dry sock for it? How's the quality appear?
The filter was not branded but appeared to be of good quality. Well put together/properly oiled and comparable to filters we’ve received on K&N and ECS products for previous cars.

There was no dry sock included and we don’t tend to drive in the rain. However, the addition of one couldn’t hurt due to the location of the filters on the F-Type.

JacksonvilleJag (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 11:32 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Good stuff, thank you. Of course you're more than welcome to post any videos of how it sounds now! I was just asking the other day if anyone knew of any lower intake sources other than Eventuri. Looks like Mina must have heard my pleas.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:28 PM
Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Great info/ post.

Anyone considered add a BMC CDA instead of open cone?

Old 06-30-2020, 09:37 AM

JacksonvilleJag, once we can get a GoPro running we can try to get a video that includes the sound - wouldn’t want to do it the disservice of a cellphone capture.

Haven't explored the BMC CDA option, though my understanding is the the jury isn’t out on a significant performance increase? Maybe you can provide more info.

JacksonvilleJag (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

JacksonvilleJag, once we can get a GoPro running we can try to get a video that includes the sound - wouldn’t want to do it the disservice of a cellphone capture.

Haven't explored the BMC CDA option, though my understanding is the the jury isn’t out on a significant performance increase? Maybe you can provide more info.
Changing the filtration media on this car with any other filtration system will offer no perceptible increase in performance unless the OEM filters are already blinded with schmutz.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
JacksonvilleJag (07-01-2020), SinF (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi can I ask where you buy the yellow wolf intake from? I couldn’t find it on the net

thanks for helping

Old 07-02-2020, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Changing the filtration media on this car with any other filtration system will offer no perceptible increase in performance
Changing the filtration media on this car with K&N filtration system will offer a notable decrease in filtration performance while not offering any increase in engine power output.

JacksonvilleJag (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Changing the filtration media on this car with K&N filtration system will offer a notable decrease in filtration performance while not offering any increase in engine power output.
AGREED!

Old 07-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kennethlow
Hi can I ask where you buy the yellow wolf intake from? I couldn’t find it on the net

thanks for helping
Per some of the above posts, they appear to be no longer with us. Mina has started making a lower intake now though.

DC

Kennethlow (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Per some of the above posts, they appear to be no longer with us. Mina has started making a lower intake now though.

DC
When I log on to the Mina site there is no trace of any such animal.
I suspect they are still putting a production run together then they will release the hounds!

Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
When I log on to the Mina site there is no trace of any such animal.
I suspect they are still putting a production run together then they will release the hounds!
Yes...That is what it sounded like from the original post. Seems like they called them and were able to get a set....Might be worth a shot for anyone wanting/needing the set?

DC

Old 07-10-2020, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Finally got my Mina Gallery Upper Intake yesterday. Popped it on this AM before I started working, and took it for a spin.

Overall, I am pleased with it. I would say they could have aligned everything a little better, and/or given a little extra material...It is very tight in places, but it does fit!
Also, verified, it DOES easily connect to the Yellow Wolf Lower Intake system.

Took it out and tried to record a couple of clips. As you know....very difficult to capture. One with windows down and one with them up...played with various modes also. You can definitely hear the Supercharger, but the exhaust is LOUD too.

Some pics.

DC

Two MP3 Clips for you as well. Mine is V8 R AWD - Racechip and Yellow Wolf Lower Intake in addition to this Mina Gallery Upper Intake.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
2.mp3 (579.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: mp3
3.mp3 (695.9 KB, 106 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
madmax1911 (07-10-2020), WayneB (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Hey Rock, how much of an increase in SC sound from the complete stock system to your now combined system, 10%, 20% ????
Thanks
MM

Old 07-10-2020, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

There must be enough of a difference between the V6 and V8 engine compartment layouts that allows a perfect alignment of the Mina intake on the V6. The crossover tubes appear to be lined up better on the V6.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Hey Rock, how much of an increase in SC sound from the complete stock system to your now combined system, 10%, 20% ????
Thanks
MM
32.76% Actually I did not hear ANY supercharger noise before the YW and Mina Gallery Intake. Now it is very noticeable all the time (subjective of course, but you can hear it in the sound clips, and I was just holding my phone in the drivers seat as I drove).

Originally Posted by Unhingd
There must be enough of a difference between the V6 and V8 engine compartment layouts that allows a perfect alignment of the Mina intake on the V6. The crossover tubes appear to be lined up better on the V6.

That is very possible. It was tight and difficult to get it all aligned to fit. I did this early morning before I started work (from home). When I am bored one day, and / or have it back on the lift, I will likely remove it and do some adjusting when I have better access. It is not bad, but certainly could be better.

Thanks,
DC

madmax1911 (07-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Mina Gallery Upper/Lower Intake and VAP Crank Pulley Install Review