F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Gallery Upper/Lower Intake and VAP Crank Pulley Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Mina gallery full kit on mine for about a month now. Definitely more sound compared to stock. Fitment is ok. Way better bang for your buck compared to eventuri. I refused to pay that much for half an intake system. Is it any faster? Probably not but sounds amazing wide open.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Row_ca
Wanted to share our experience with installing the Mina Gallery Upper/Lower intake kits and VAP Pulley/Belt with accompanying tune.

Background: After ordering the upper intake from Mina Gallery, we reached out to see whether we could install a lower intake kit from another company. They responded that it could be done, but they also were working on their own lower intake kit that we could purchase instead - we obliged.

We waited to combine the install of both items, until the final complimentary dealer maintenance and figured that taking out the intake would only provide more room to work on the crank pulley (this was true). The work was done by my brother and I on jack stands over the course of two days due to our schedule with the install times indicated below. Everything can be done DIY, we are seasoned DIYers but not professional mechanics - this was our first project on the F-Type.

VAP Crank Pulley / Tune

Install: This has been fairly well covered, so won’t belabor anything here. We followed the guide written by Stohlen, he does a phenomenal job detailing everything you need to do. Things worth mentioning: a small impact tool would make removal of the Crank Pulley 10x easier/faster, ours was a few mm from fitting and that was the most painful part of install. Second be sure to loctite each bolt separately before install, not all at once. Lesson learned some will set before you get them in and you may have to re-clean them. Lastly the belt is much easier as a two person team - come in from the top and let gravity work to your advantage. First time we’ve done a belt in under 10 minutes.

Review: Again, won’t say anything you haven’t read on here: if you’re on the fence and wondering what an extra 75-100hp/tq feels like then you need this install. This is how the car SHOULD be sold, the V6 F-Type is no longer just fast looking...

Mina Gallery Upper/Lower Intake Kit:

Install: Not complicated, but quite a bit tougher/time consuming than the crank pulley - nothing is terribly difficult but a lack of instructions made things quite a bit harder. We used a forum post here by Unhingd for the upper kit and the Eventuri Install instructions for the lower portion. The lower kit was a bit tougher (may have been set up for a V8?) with all the parts needed to complete the install, just some swapping around from the photos I had of their lower kit installed plus some different pieces from the Eventuri. Below is an in-progress photo we took of how our set up worked for any future V6 installers.

Review: Money well spent - went with this combination as it was 1/4 the price of the Eventuri and seemed to have the same advantages in noise, weight and eliminating the large void / small inlet that occurs with the V6 noise suppressor being the same part as the V8 - minus the carbon fiber. The butt dino would suggest this was worth it on the performance end but more than anything the sound... really brings the supercharger to life and makes it sound like a true exotic . With the exhaust flaps open it’s the perfect mix of whine and exhaust with neither drowning each other out. Would absolutely recommend this intake setup, especially at the price it’s being sold at in comparison to the competition.

Overall: Both of these are worthwhile upgrades - the price per HP/TQ is well worth the crank pulley/tune install and a huge plus that both projects can be done in a DIY day. If Mina Gallery adds an install PDF or video, it will be at a significant advantage to the Eventuri.

Install Times:
  • Setup: Parts and Area Prepped, Jack Stands, Remove Wheels & Undertray: 1 hr
  • Remove Stock Intake: 1 hr
  • Remove/Install Crank Pulley/Belt: 1hr (would be less w/ Impact Gun)
  • Install Mina Gallery Intake: 1.5 hrs
  • Reinstall Setup Parts/Clean-Up: 45 min (you’ll know how to do it this time)

Our Total Work Time: 5hrs 15mins

Recommended Time Budget: 7 hrs

Did you pull the nose to install the lower intake, or did you go in through the fenders?

Old 07-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Did you pull the nose to install the lower intake, or did you go in through the fenders?
I took wheels and aprons (wheel wells) off as well as the lower panels to get the OEM filters out. Really no need to take the front bumper cover off. Plenty of access through wheel openings. Just FYI.

DC

Old 07-21-2020, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88
I took wheels and aprons (wheel wells) off as well as the lower panels to get the OEM filters out. Really no need to take the front bumper cover off. Plenty of access through wheel openings. Just FYI.

DC
I am hoping it is the same for installing the Mina lower intake.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I think it will be. I looked at the photos of Mina and it is very similar.....AND....With the lower pans, wheels and apron off, you honestly have pretty easy access to everything you need to reach. I think you will be fine!
As you can see, you can easily reach everything with no issues.

Good luck.
DC

Last edited by Therock88; 07-21-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to remove the bumper cover. You will just need to pry the factory airbox out of the rubber grommets. I got to mine from underneath. Not a big deal

Old 07-21-2020, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88
I think it will be. I looked at the photos of Mina and it is very similar.....AND....With the lower pans, wheels and apron off, you honestly have pretty easy access to everything you need to reach. I think you will be fine!
As you can see, you can easily reach everything with no issues.

Good luck.
DC
Originally Posted by FtypeGn
No need to remove the bumper cover. You will just need to pry the factory airbox out of the rubber grommets. I got to mine from underneath. Not a big deal
Thanks to both of you.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How long for just upper?

Originally Posted by Row_ca
Wanted to share our experience with installing the Mina Gallery Upper/Lower intake kits and VAP Pulley/Belt with accompanying tune.

Background: After ordering the upper intake from Mina Gallery, we reached out to see whether we could install a lower intake kit from another company. They responded that it could be done, but they also were working on their own lower intake kit that we could purchase instead - we obliged.

We waited to combine the install of both items, until the final complimentary dealer maintenance and figured that taking out the intake would only provide more room to work on the crank pulley (this was true). The work was done by my brother and I on jack stands over the course of two days due to our schedule with the install times indicated below. Everything can be done DIY, we are seasoned DIYers but not professional mechanics - this was our first project on the F-Type.

VAP Crank Pulley / Tune

Install: This has been fairly well covered, so won’t belabor anything here. We followed the guide written by Stohlen, he does a phenomenal job detailing everything you need to do. Things worth mentioning: a small impact tool would make removal of the Crank Pulley 10x easier/faster, ours was a few mm from fitting and that was the most painful part of install. Second be sure to loctite each bolt separately before install, not all at once. Lesson learned some will set before you get them in and you may have to re-clean them. Lastly the belt is much easier as a two person team - come in from the top and let gravity work to your advantage. First time we’ve done a belt in under 10 minutes.

Review: Again, won’t say anything you haven’t read on here: if you’re on the fence and wondering what an extra 75-100hp/tq feels like then you need this install. This is how the car SHOULD be sold, the V6 F-Type is no longer just fast looking...

Mina Gallery Upper/Lower Intake Kit:

Install: Not complicated, but quite a bit tougher/time consuming than the crank pulley - nothing is terribly difficult but a lack of instructions made things quite a bit harder. We used a forum post here by Unhingd for the upper kit and the Eventuri Install instructions for the lower portion. The lower kit was a bit tougher (may have been set up for a V8?) with all the parts needed to complete the install, just some swapping around from the photos I had of their lower kit installed plus some different pieces from the Eventuri. Below is an in-progress photo we took of how our set up worked for any future V6 installers.

Review: Money well spent - went with this combination as it was 1/4 the price of the Eventuri and seemed to have the same advantages in noise, weight and eliminating the large void / small inlet that occurs with the V6 noise suppressor being the same part as the V8 - minus the carbon fiber. The butt dino would suggest this was worth it on the performance end but more than anything the sound... really brings the supercharger to life and makes it sound like a true exotic . With the exhaust flaps open it’s the perfect mix of whine and exhaust with neither drowning each other out. Would absolutely recommend this intake setup, especially at the price it’s being sold at in comparison to the competition.

Overall: Both of these are worthwhile upgrades - the price per HP/TQ is well worth the crank pulley/tune install and a huge plus that both projects can be done in a DIY day. If Mina Gallery adds an install PDF or video, it will be at a significant advantage to the Eventuri.

Install Times:
  • Setup: Parts and Area Prepped, Jack Stands, Remove Wheels & Undertray: 1 hr
  • Remove Stock Intake: 1 hr
  • Remove/Install Crank Pulley/Belt: 1hr (would be less w/ Impact Gun)
  • Install Mina Gallery Intake: 1.5 hrs
  • Reinstall Setup Parts/Clean-Up: 45 min (you’ll know how to do it this time)

Our Total Work Time: 5hrs 15mins

Recommended Time Budget: 7 hrs

any way you can say how long Just the Upper intake tubes took in terms of time. Got a mechanic working on it need ensure im not getting Shafted.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ivgi
any way you can say how long Just the Upper intake tubes took in terms of time. Got a mechanic working on it need ensure im not getting Shafted.
Just the upper requires no removal of anything really. All done under hood from top of engine. I would say it can easily be done in 1 - 1.5 hours, including adjusting and fitting everything perfectly. It can actually be done in less time, but an hour to 1.5 hours would be plenty of time for any issues etc... I even cleaned the TB while at it

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 10-05-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:15 PM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

I think I will order the full mina intake as a little winter project. Might as well get more supercharger noise...

Old 10-09-2022, 10:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the upper intake increase supercharger whine? The Mina Gallery rep told me the OEM upper intakes have silencers on them.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Ojeii
Does the upper intake increase supercharger whine? The Mina Gallery rep told me the OEM upper intakes have silencers on them.
Maybe a little, by far the main increase is with the lower intake and the deletion of the baffles just after the MAF sensors.
The OEM upper intake has two L-shaped protuberances, one each side, on the undersides about 15 cm out from the centre.
These are Helmholtz resonators and not really "silencers", designed to reduce intake resonance and roar, and maybe they rob a little SC whine as well.
The XF, XJ and XK supercharged engines all have these as well even with the differently designed intake tubing, and a few owners have cut them off and plasti-welded or glued covers over the holes, but I can't recall anyone who has done this reporting any major increase in SC whine from this mod alone.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 07:28 PM
Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

How do the filters look/perform on the Mina kit?

I'd love some more SC noise but not at the expense of filtration quality.

Old 05-16-2024, 07:46 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I was leading a group of F-types last fall, and I could hear Unhingd’s S/C even when he was a few cars behind me. He has the Mina intake, you might PM him to see what his setup is. Most S/C whine I’ve heard.

Old 05-16-2024, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
How do the filters look/perform on the Mina kit?

I'd love some more SC noise but not at the expense of filtration quality.
I haven't checked the Mina filters since I installed them a couple of years ago, too hard to get at and I don't do many miles these days, but they are nice big filters with lots of pleats and they looked like quality items to me and I have had zero problems so I guess they work pretty well.

The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (05-16-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 02:53 PM

I enquired with Mina about whether or not filter covers (dry socks) would be prudent, this was their reply:

We often get asked about filter covers and while this could not hurt it really is not required. The filter is well protected. It sits behind the side grille (these are non functional) and is shielded in the back (from the wheel liner) and the bottom (from the undertray). So it has no exposure to the outside. The vehicle would have to be submerged in several feet of water and for a length of time before water could be anywhere near the filters.
Just to be extra extra extra extra sure - could anyone corroborate this?
I do live in Raincouver, after all
PNW life ​​​​​​​

Old 06-27-2024, 05:36 PM

On the other hand, this is what the shop cautioned:

If you do decide to install this kit, you should be aware that you might have trouble in medium to heavy rain. These types of air intakes suction air at a higher rate and do not block as much water.