F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirrors stopped folding

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023 | 08:15 AM
|
Default Mirrors stopped folding

I have a 2015 V6S and last night when I locked it, the mirrors didn't fold in and I get two short horn honks, which I have not heard before. The door handles retract as usual and the alarm activated (red light on the display flashes), I have opened and closed all the doors and the hood and all seem to latch without any trouble. There are no strange noises and they don't appear to try to fold.

Could it be a fuse? A latch sensor? Just need a battery reset? I don't mind if the mirrors don't retract as long as something isn't getting broken as a result of them not folding.

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2023 | 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

I believe if you sit in the car and press and hold both mirror buttons on the drivers door for a few seconds that activates the mirror folding. Maybe try that to see if the mirrors themselves at fault?

Sounds like the car is trying but failing to fold them for some reason and the c-locking beep is a warning to tell you.

Old 05-20-2023 | 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Also - if they are faulty and you don't want to pay to repair them the dealer can turn off the 'fold when locked' feature. Unfortunately I don't think the F Type lets you do that yourself in the menus.

Old 05-20-2023 | 09:24 AM
|

Originally Posted by BritCars
I believe if you sit in the car and press and hold both mirror buttons on the drivers door for a few seconds that activates the mirror folding. Maybe try that to see if the mirrors themselves at fault?

Sounds like the car is trying but failing to fold them for some reason and the c-locking beep is a warning to tell you.
I am able to fold them via the mirror buttons and lock the car with them folded. They have to be manually reset and I get the two beeps still.

I may try resetting the battery. I'm doing an oil change today anyway, so I'll be under the hood. It's odd, there were no indications of an issue, it just stopped working. It really seems like a sensor, but the info screen doesn't show any faults.

Old 05-20-2023 | 10:54 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

I wonder if it would throw any codes. If you don’t have an OBD reader, Autozone etc will read it for free. You may or may not need to disconnect the battery afterwards - you may be aware of the OBD disconnect issue, which can drain the battery.

Old 05-20-2023 | 10:55 AM
|

Originally Posted by DJS
I wonder if it would throw any codes. If you don’t have an OBD reader, Autozone etc will read it for free. You may or may not need to disconnect the battery afterwards - you may be aware of the OBD disconnect issue, which can drain the battery.
I have a Bluetooth OBD2 reader. I suppose it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

Old 05-20-2023 | 10:58 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
... the dealer can turn off the 'fold when locked' feature. Unfortunately I don't think the F Type lets you do that yourself in the menus.
Correct. A bit annoying for me as I could do it in my previous XKR, which was useful in winter to prevent the mirrors freezing in the locked position.

Old 05-21-2023 | 06:40 PM
|

Well no luck, so I guess I'll have to take it to the dealership. Thankfully it doesn't seem as though they are trying to fold - there is no noise or anything that comes from the mirrors so I don't think it's breaking anything further.

Thanks for the help!