F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miss my car.... 2008 Porsche Turbo S vs 2015 F-Type V8S

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Miss my car.... 2008 Porsche Turbo S vs 2015 F-Type V8S

Temporarily traded my 2015 F-Type V8S with my buddy's 2008 Porsche Turbo S cabriolet, and I already miss my Jag... The Porsche definitely feels faster, but it's a lot of huff and puff to get there.

Kinda like being able to just put the Jag in drive and just flooring it. I for one don't miss the clutch one bit, but maybe if they offered a dual clutch set up I'd reconsider... I'll post more thoughts as the week goes by....

The following 2 users liked this post by Daniel Danny:
jleuz1 (07-01-2015), Schwabe (07-07-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Keep us posted. When the new 911 991 came out in 2012/2013 I picked one up (granted, not the crazy Turbo S). For the first couple of months it was fun since it was a new model and still relatively rare/unique. But very quickly everywhere I went I saw 911s, old and new. Soon they all kinda started blending in. It no longer felt "special" to take her out on a drive when they were everywhere. For some people this doesn't factor in. They just want the best engineered performance car (which the F-Type isn't).

Old 07-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Porsche had a 50 year start with the 911.
I was torn, but the Jaguar was so alive and sexy compared to the German cars, I couldn't resist. The F-Type really grabs your heart.
And the content notice says that the F-Type is 50% German components, so my mind says we get all the reliable bits from Germany.
Best of both worlds if you ask me, British styling and soul with some advanced German engineering.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
Porsche had a 50 year start with the 911.
I was torn, but the Jaguar was so alive and sexy compared to the German cars, I couldn't resist. The F-Type really grabs your heart.
And the content notice says that the F-Type is 50% German components, so my mind says we get all the reliable bits from Germany.
Best of both worlds if you ask me, British styling and soul with some advanced German engineering.
+1

Old 07-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

Best of both worlds is actually having both!
I'm very fortunate there. Love them both.

Walt

"Best of both worlds if you ask me, British styling and soul with some advanced German engineering. "

Schwabe (07-07-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I've always been a huge Porsche fan but you see them everywhere. I like the F Type cause its different. Most people that see one have no idea what there even looking at.

chilefish (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

2015 V8S?

Old 07-03-2015, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Cambo,

What's the question? The 2015 V8 convertible was a V8S. That changed to R in 2016.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Yeah don't mind me, just getting confused between calendar year and model year again...

Old 07-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even when I drove my 2006 911 around the San Jose area, I still never felt like I saw that many other 911s driving around. I'd see one every couple days maybe, but I never felt they were all over the place.

What I did get sick of seeing was an endless sea of BMWs and Mercedes, which is why I would never own one. Literally, every other car on the road here is a BMW or Mercedes. They are way too ubiquitous for me to ever buy one.

If I'm going to plunk down big bucks for some type of sports or high-end car, it's got to be unique. The only marques I was even considering were another 911, Aston Martin, Bentley, and Maserati.

But I was "been there, done that" with the 911 and wanted something different. Astons are nice but there's something about them that doesn't strike me as a daily driver (which I do use the Jag for). Bentleys are a little too blingy to drive to work (I don't mind showing up in a flashy car at work, but not THAT much). And somebody where I work already owned a Maserati, so that was out.

It's a good thing the F-Type popped up on the radar because it's exactly what I was looking for. Otherwise, I probably would have gone back to the 911. I'm sure I would have been happy with another one, but I'm enjoying the hell out of the Jag, and could see myself upgrading to an SVR if/when they ever come out with that.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, one of the reasons I love my s type is you don't see many of them. My 2001 has a timeless look, doesn't look old at all.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My decision was between the M6 Convertible, the F-Type V8S Convertible, or buying my buddy's 08 Turbo S Cabriolet.

Keep in mind, I had driven pretty much nothing but BMWs for the last 15 years. Growing up my parent's driveway always looked like a beemer dealership, we all had one.

I went with the Jag because I got tired of seeing other BMWs and Porsches pull up next to me at the lights.

I know I made the right decision. A day doesn't go by that I don't see someone walking around my car or tourists taking pictures with it. I just have to park it outside any Starbucks or Coffee Bean and watch the crowds.

But, with that said, the overall fit and finish in a BMW or a Porsche is much better than the Jag. You would never get these types of buzzing and other issues with those cars. I've had a ton of beemers and never had those types of issues...

Last edited by Daniel Danny; 07-03-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 911

Out in sag harbor in the hamptons this weekend. More 911s than yellow taxis in Manhattan. Also quite a few drop top masers, half a dozen 458s and a martini painted 918. Others like lambos, f California's etc and only one red ftype ragtop. My coupe is home as it won't carry the beach chairs!!!!! It's a special car

Old 07-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Danny
...the overall fit and finish in a BMW or a Porsche is much better than the Jag. You would never get these types of buzzing and other issues with those cars. I've had a ton of beemers and never had those types of issues...
I'm a little confused. I have a "beemer" in my garage, but beemers only have two wheels. I've never owned a "bimmer", which has four wheels. Are you actually referring to bimmers, or to beemers (motorcycles) with sound systems?

Old 07-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Too many Porsches, Bimmers and Mercedes in WLA. That's why I prefer the classic Porsches as my indulgence. I was given a BMW M6 convertible and 911 convertible to drive for a week and found both to be so refined or perfect that they were boring to drive. My F-Type v8 S convertible is like a beast. It bursts to life when I start it and I really enjoy driving it. It has personality like my classics. And people constantly come over to see the car or to ask me questions about it. Better yet, I have not seen a similar burnt orange S convertible in LA yet. I love hat exclusivity. I should add that my local Jag dealership is fantastic and the people know me by first name (due to the many Jags/lRs I have had) so that keeps me loyal to the brand as well.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm sure others have these experiences with their F-Types:

I park at the back of a lot where it is empty, lots of empty spots around. I only take 1 spot, I don't want to be a dick and get keyed. When I come back later I find other cars parked around mine -- generally BMW, Benz, Porsche, usually thoughtfully done to "protect" my car. Or at least grouping the nice cars together.

Yesterday I had to stop at Home Depot, I parked in the back all alone. When I returned I couldn't see it: it was flanked by two large contractor trucks and a crowd of 6-7 contractors, hanging out, smoking -- waiting to talk to me about my F-Type. They all loved it and wanted to know more about it.

If you're into cars, the Jaguar F-Type definitely "warms your heart."

Old 07-09-2015, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Here in the DC area, people don't give 2 squats about a nice sports car. They'll stand around chatting about the latest Cadillac or BMW SUV but not give the F-Type even a second glance (their loss, not mine). Only difference I've experienced with the F-Type over the MINI, is those afflicted with testosterone poisoning insist on tailgating (freeway and local streets alike).

Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, my experience sure has been different in the DC area. I usually encounter an admirer or two in every parking lot or gas station. It's probably the BRG . . . LOL.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Wow, my experience sure has been different in the DC area. I usually encounter an admirer or two in every parking lot or gas station. It's probably the BRG . . . LOL.
Joking aside, I think you may be right. It truly is a stealth machine and does not attract attention. People walking through my office parking garage will stop and look. But out on the street, their eye just isn't drawn to it. The fact that it's filthy may have something to do with that. Starting to look like johney5's car.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-09-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

You really CAN wash a new paint finish after 30 days with no harm if you're careful. The reason to wait at least 60 days before wrapping, waxing or coating is to let the underlying layers out-gas and cure. The outer layers are hardened at this point. A wrap or coating won't let the curing process happen because it seals the surface, but washing is fine.

In fact, I don't think a whole bunch of dirt sitting on a new paint job is all that great either. That road crap contains harmful elements that also attack the outer finish.

Just hose it down thoroughly (no power-washing), use a new microfiber towel with a very good car wash soap. Let the soapy towel do the work without putting any elbow grease into it. Then rinse it thoroughly, and very lightly wipe in one direction with a damp new microfiber towel, but don't towel it totally dry. You can also use an electric leaf blower to dry.

Bring it over this weekend, and I'll make it pretty for you!

Last edited by Foosh; 07-09-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Miss my car.... 2008 Porsche Turbo S vs 2015 F-Type V8S