Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missed a shift, I am okay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 12:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Missed a shift, am I okay?

Hi all!!

Bit of an embarrassing post to make, but wanted to reassure myself I didn’t mess up too bad.

have a pretty new to me ‘17 F-Type R, and today the weather was just amazing. So I am coming back from the grocery store and am driving quite spirited (Dynamic + Sport +Paddles obviously) and I let her rip in 3rd gear at about 4K RPM.

Like a fool, had my windows down so I couldn’t hear my engine (it was very windy outside), but in the middle of my pull, noticed I wasn’t going any faster. I apparently, slipped on the paddle or something and was still in 3rd gear, with the Tach needle bouncing off 8K.

This only might have happened for maybe 3 seconds, but my stomach dropped. Car didn’t make any bad noises or anything weird after, I simply just upshifted and drove home with my tail between my legs.

Is there any damage I could have done to my car or anything I need to look at? I’ve heard it’s fine and our cars have plenty of safety margin built in, it just didn’t feel good and I feel like an idiot.

anyone else ever done this?

Thanks all and hope you get a kick out of my pain. I’m learning!

Old 05-22-2022, 12:51 AM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

That’s the purpose of the rev limiter. They are obviously not going to set it at a level higher than what you could damage the engine with so don’t worry. Everyone here would have blown up their engines by now otherwise. Only way to do damage is revving the crap out it it before you have let the engine warm up first and oils too viscous.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Borbor
That’s the purpose of the rev limiter. They are obviously not going to set it at a level higher than what you could damage the engine with so don’t worry. Everyone here would have blown up their engines by now otherwise. Only way to do damage is revving the crap out it it before you have let the engine warm up first and oils too viscous.

okay AWESOME, thank you so much for the reassurance. I knew the rev limiter protected against that in theory, but something about actually bouncing my baby on the red line made it feel like somehow I made an irreversible mistake and ruined my car. Thank you for putting me at ease!

Old 05-22-2022, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

AFAIK the rev limiter on a stock/untuned '17 R is 6,800 RPM or thereabouts so nowhere near the 8,000 rpm you reckon you saw.
Borbor is right, the rev limiter is put there by JLR to prevent you from over revving the engine so you have nothing to worry about.
And I reckon pretty much every F-Type owner here would have done what you did at some point - forgot that Dynamic + S + paddles = manual up change and rev limiter if you forget to!

The following users liked this post:
bcbruno (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 04:17 AM
Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

I wish I knew how did you manage to get almost 8k rpm, did try everything already and without success to go over 7000

Old 05-22-2022, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The couple of times I've hit the rev limiter, the whole world knew about it with the horrible din of rev-limiter induced misfires. If you truly didn't runout of breath until 8000rpm and never heard the engine massively revolting, your rev-limiter might not be functioning properly. OEM redline is 6800 and a VAP tune might let you sneak in a few more rpm, but 8k just isn't right. If the engine is still running smoothly and still pulling strong, you are probably ok, but i'd have the rev limiter looked into.

The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (05-25-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The couple of times I've hit the rev limiter, the whole world knew about it with the horrible din of rev-limiter induced misfires. If you truly didn't runout of breath until 8000rpm and never heard the engine massively revolting, your rev-limiter might not be functioning properly. OEM redline is 6800 and a VAP tune might let you sneak in a few more rpm, but 8k just isn't right. If the engine is still running smoothly and still pulling strong, you are probably ok, but i'd have the rev limiter looked into.

Thanks for the replies everyone!! And this is all made so much harder by the fact of how insanely windy it was outside (windows down), so I literally couldn’t hear my motor at all. And honestly , it may not have gone all the way to 8, I can’t remember it super clearly cause I was so panicked, but I could have sworn I saw the tach needle deep in the red.

drove the car today, no codes, still was pulling hard and all. I feel like if it did cause a problem, I would definitely know about it by now?

Old 05-26-2022, 01:33 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

You're fine. This is a car that is meant to be winded out. Bouncing off the rev limiter is no different than going up to redline then shifting multiple times, which the car is built for.