Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing bolt behind radiator identification

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 05:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Missing bolt behind radiator identification

Hi all,

Was checking my coolant levels the other day and noticed that I appear to be missing a bolt just behind the radiator that attaches some kind of bar? I don't know what it's called but if anyone knows the name of this bolt or what it is attached to, it would be much appreciated. Hopefully it hasn't fallen down and isn't rattling around somewhere on top of the underpanels! Not sure how long it's been like this but I'm planning on just ordering a replacement and torquing it myself.

The missing bolt

The non-missing bolt on the opposite side

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2024, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Close to zero chance of finding that bolt in any parts catalogue, I suggest you take the other bolt out and take it to a hardware/nuts/bolts store where they should be able to find an exact match for it.

Edit - I may have to eat my words!
It looks very much like item # 12, "hinge bolt", part number C2P11433, on this diagram: https://parts.harperjaguar.com/v-201...diator-support

Last edited by OzXFR; 01-20-2024 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:36 AM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

@OzXFR is correct. The bolt is the right hand upper mounting bolt for the radiator frame cross-brace. It is an M8 x 20mm bolt. Any similar hex flanged bolt will do the job.

Old 01-21-2024, 11:14 AM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Missing bolts are common?

Bought this MY2017 (built late 2016) Premium coupe in Oct. of 2020. Spent much time on the forums, trying to understand how to re-align the headlight area panels. First photo shows how the passenger side stuck out. By chance I happened to press on it and could move it. I located the access plug holes in the front wheel well and pulled them off. Neither of the two bolts were present. Subsequent photos show the access plugs for this assembly, the bolt and the area with the plugs removed. Because I did not want the new bolt to fall down in the abyss of the front end, I used some of that picture/poster hanging putty to keep the bolt in the socket. Final photo shows end result of realignment. There was NO indication that any bolts had EVER been installed... no surface abrasion.

Attached Thumbnails Missing bolt behind radiator identification-before2.jpg   Missing bolt behind radiator identification-20210218_154727.jpg   Missing bolt behind radiator identification-plugholes.jpg   Missing bolt behind radiator identification-100_2835.jpg   Missing bolt behind radiator identification-after.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
diablo2112 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Bought this MY2017 (built late 2016) Premium coupe in Oct. of 2020. Spent much time on the forums, trying to understand how to re-align the headlight area panels. First photo shows how the passenger side stuck out. By chance I happened to press on it and could move it. I located the access plug holes in the front wheel well and pulled them off. Neither of the two bolts were present. Subsequent photos show the access plugs for this assembly, the bolt and the area with the plugs removed. Because I did not want the new bolt to fall down in the abyss of the front end, I used some of that picture/poster hanging putty to keep the bolt in the socket. Final photo shows end result of realignment. There was NO indication that any bolts had EVER been installed... no surface abrasion.
After a few months with my car I noticed that the beam of the left headlight jiggled over certain bumps. I discovered almost the same thing: one bolt was missing and the other was kept from falling out by the rubber plug. I ordered the missing bolt and noted that JLR should be paying for it. The dealer agreed.

I've noticed the bolts along the top of the bumper that are exposed with the hood opens have loosened up a few times. Factory or dealer, I don't know. They may have pulled the nose at some point but I'm not sure. I've yet to pull the nose myself, although it's in the queue (grille replacement).

Old 01-21-2024, 11:50 AM

Should have pressed JLR to provide the bolts, but they weren't pricey and I did not want to get on my dealer's bad side. They have been extraordinarily wonderful in replacing the heater/coolant pipes, the water pump, getting the module for the ambient lighting activated; changed the SC oil and then a new SC, all under warranty. Missing bolts is/was just a 'wonderful' reminder that like my 69 E, some things in Jaguar don't change.

I am going to check that bolt that the OP pointed out... maybe it's the same kind as the fender bolt, and I have an extra.

Old 01-21-2024, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Should have pressed JLR to provide the bolts, but they weren't pricey and I did not want to get on my dealer's bad side.

[...]

Missing bolts is/was just a 'wonderful' reminder that like my 69 E, some things in Jaguar don't change.
I have a good relationship with my dealer but it was a point of principal that things shouldn't be falling off a new, high-end car. They agreed. It's remarkable how much better things go when you're polite

The other "fit and finish" issue I had was that the seals on the doors weren't properly installed. Almost, but not completely. The topmost clip on each wasn't snapped into the hole. Oh, and the badges on the rear were wrong. The last one was actually funny. Perhaps the only V6S 6MT R AWD made?

Old 01-22-2024, 12:27 PM

First of all, thank you to everyone for the help! It indeed is the "hinge bolt" and I'll get one installed asap. Who knows how long I've been driving it with it removed and hadn't experienced any issues or vibrations but maybe this will solve a problem I didn't know I had 😉

Secondly, to @Valerie Stabenow WOW I'm pretty sure you just solved my panel alignment issue... I had tried the panel gap adjustment procedures outlined in the service manual a few times with no success, but your picture looks exactly like the exact issue my front panel is showing. My car is also a MY2017 built in late 2016. When I get a chance I will check to see if the pictured bolts are present or not on my car. I'm guessing they aren't.

PS ​​​​@Valerie Stabenow did you lift the car or were you able to do the whole thing with it on the ground?

Thanks again to you all

Last edited by KimboSlice; 01-22-2024 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:45 PM

You are welcome and glad to help.

Yes, all done on the ground.. you may need to turn your wheel so the tire isn't in the way. Look up in the wheel well and you will see those two plugs. They are rubber-y, so easy to pry out. I did put a small microfiber towel in (the bit of yellow in the one photo), to keep any bolt that decided to drop out of the socket from falling down in the front end. I bought the repl bolts from my JLR dealer and the bolts have a pointed end so pretty easy to get them started. Probably will need a short extension to fit in between the tire and where the bolt needs to go. Also a helper to press in the headlight assembly. I also read somewhere that another F owner found that those two bolts were in their holes, but not fully in. You may need a small mirror to check what's going on in there..

Attached Thumbnails Missing bolt behind radiator identification-20210218_154726.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (01-22-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 08:59 AM

Well, @Valerie Stabenow your advice was definitely useful! I checked for those two bolts and while all bolts were present, I was able to loosen them on the drivers side and re-adjust the alignment of the front fender. While holding it in place, I tightened the two bolts and it helped a lot! The alignment still isn't perfect but I'm going to keep playing with the rubber hood stop height and see if that can make up the difference.

Finally, @OzXFR I ended up ordering 2 of that hinge bolt from Harper Jaguar and installed the missing bolt yesterday. Interestingly, it fit perfectly, but it had a different head size than the existing matching bolt on the left side. I'm not sure whether they changed the head size of this bolt at some point, or if someone had simply put the wrong ones in my car. Either way, I replaced the original bolt on the left side so now I have 2 matching brand new hinge bolts and all is well. Thanks again for the help

Old 01-31-2024, 10:33 AM
Default TSB for front end panel alignment

Good to know it helped! There is also a Technical Bulletin JTB00399NAS1, issued on 04 December 2014 that gives the adjustment info for the hood/bonnet, front fenders, and front bumper that may not be aligned.

not sure if this link will work ....

https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/SB-10065184-6903.pdf

I looked through all of it and opted to pass. There is much 'domino effect'... loosening this will affect that and it began to sound (to me) like cutting off chair legs to level a chair. No permanent damage but enough to possibly make things worse. Where the bonnet/hood and HL assembly area meet up over the tire isn't perfect as viewed from the side, at least my HL assembly isn't hanging out like it was. I believe this TSB was only for original owner's recourse, and so , as the second owner, I was out of luck from a warranty perspective.