Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod for the day....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts
Default Mod for the day....

Well, after wrapping everything black, painting the grille black, replacing all of the badges, etc.., I kept thinking something still looked off (to me...I have OCD ).

As I was looking at the car in my garage, I figured what was standing out....very subtle, but the lens on the mirror for the turn signal....IT STILL HAS CHROME BEHIND IT?

So, since I currently do not have any parts to put on or other mods waiting, I decided to address that "issue".

I cleaned the lens with IPA, I had some dark smoke charcoal tint in my garage already...so I wrapped them with the black tint, heated them, trimmed etc...And it came out great.

Admittedly (and as my wife said)...No one may likely even notice that....to which I said."It is all the little details that make a car (or anything) look good/better/different".

Certainly not earth shattering, but I think it is a nice touch and came out really well. Took me about 30 minutes total. Also checked, and the blinker still shows through the tint when on.

DC

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The following 5 users liked this post by Therock88:
BruceTheQuail (07-18-2020), JacksonvilleJag (07-19-2020), madmax1911 (07-18-2020), Phantomf4collector (07-18-2020), Reaxions (07-07-2021)
Old 07-18-2020, 02:23 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

A nice subtle change. I agree that small details add up to the overall beauty of things, especially cars. Most won't notice the individual refinements but most do notice when something has that "finished and refined" look.
Thanks for the inspirations you provide, your costing me money left and right, splash guards, puddle lights and now a fixed rear wing will be shipping out to me on Monday.

MM

The following users liked this post:
Therock88 (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 03:46 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Beautiful color Rock.
Your photos illustrate perfectly why I started the "Cut and Polish" thread. Although your car looks perfectly maintained and shiny to a fault, the reflections do not have crisp clean edges. That reason alone is why I was contemplating wet sanding and polishing my Fuji white MY 2018. I may yet give it a test (probably on the passenger side rear quarter) but not in this heat.
My garage is not air conditioned.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Beautiful color Rock.
Your photos illustrate perfectly why I started the "Cut and Polish" thread. Although your car looks perfectly maintained and shiny to a fault, the reflections do not have crisp clean edges. That reason alone is why I was contemplating wet sanding and polishing my Fuji white MY 2018. I may yet give it a test (probably on the passenger side rear quarter) but not in this heat.
My garage is not air conditioned.
Thanks.

The car has been paint corrected, ceramic coated, and wrapped with Xpel as well. I am sure in the right light, and something other than my phone, and/or someone who knows how to take photos, it may look like you are referencing.

At any rate, it is shiny and swirl free in person. And I would not recommend going at the clear with a wet sand unless it was horrible, or was just painted and cleared and had orange peel to be smoothed.

Good luck with your polishing adventure.
DC

Last edited by Therock88; 07-18-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:59 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Well, after wrapping everything black, painting the grille black, replacing all of the badges, etc.., I kept thinking something still looked off (to me...I have OCD ).

As I was looking at the car in my garage, I figured what was standing out....very subtle, but the lens on the mirror for the turn signal....IT STILL HAS CHROME BEHIND IT?

So, since I currently do not have any parts to put on or other mods waiting, I decided to address that "issue".

I cleaned the lens with IPA, I had some dark smoke charcoal tint in my garage already...so I wrapped them with the black tint, heated them, trimmed etc...And it came out great.

Admittedly (and as my wife said)...No one may likely even notice that....to which I said."It is all the little details that make a car (or anything) look good/better/different".

Certainly not earth shattering, but I think it is a nice touch and came out really well. Took me about 30 minutes total. Also checked, and the blinker still shows through the tint when on.

DC

BEFORE:

AFTER:

That's kind of like the cherry on top of the Ice cream sunday... that's if you like cherries?
I think it actually finishes off what you did overall to the car...perfection! Details do make a big difference sometimes
to the trained eye. Car people get it!

Old 07-19-2020, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

I am not a fan of blacking things out but those mirrors are spot on. Looks good.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2004XJ8
That's kind of like the cherry on top of the Ice cream sunday... that's if you like cherries?
I think it actually finishes off what you did overall to the car...perfection! Details do make a big difference sometimes
to the trained eye. Car people get it!
Originally Posted by 1 of 19
I am not a fan of blacking things out but those mirrors are spot on. Looks good.
Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Nothing big, but I always enjoy when I can do "something" to the car

DC